Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Broiling liver
Previous  1  2

Reality

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:58 am
As a child I remember my parents broiling liver. My parents had a separate broiler oven and separate utensils used only for liver.

The halachos are complicated. My father is a Rav so I'm confident he knew what he was doing. As soon as we were able to buy prekashered liver, my parents never kashered at home again.

Reality

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:02 am
amother Forsythia wrote:
“He said there is no way to kasher liver properly and to buy it already broiled“

I’m curious about this… hundreds of generations have been kashering liver over an open flame. Why is our generation not able to do this properly? Not doubting. I genuinely want to know.

Many, many people were not knowledgeable and were doing things wrong and quite frankly, treifing up their kitchens. Of all things to pick on, and there are many, this is not one of them. Selling unkashered liver is placing a stumbling block in front of most people.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:26 am
OP really sorry about this. Hopefully the vaad will rectify their wrongdoing asap. Please don't back down and persist that they stop selling unkashered liver. You will prevent many people from eating improperly kashered liver and this will be a great merit for you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:56 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
OP really sorry about this. Hopefully the vaad will rectify their wrongdoing asap. Please don't back down and persist that they stop selling unkashered liver. You will prevent many people from eating improperly kashered liver and this will be a great merit for you.

Thank you so much.
Ive been so upset all shabbos and thinking about it non stop.
I never even though to question liver until I read something on here the other week and said ok hmm let me call my husbands rav...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 12:56 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
This is a strange moment for you to say that. You can see what aggravation op is going through from trying to kasher liver and having to deal with a treif pot, treif utensils, and even worse realizing she ate treif. Liver is sold already kashered in most places so no one has to deal with this. My great grandmother had to kosher her own chickens. No one I know has to do that anymore. No one I know wants to do that anymore.
I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this op. I don’t know if this will make you feel better but my mother’s friend threw raw liver into a pot of chicken soup right after she got married. Treifed up her whole kitchen. Not a bt. Not only did she learn from her mistake, all her friends did too and they made sure their daughters knew to watch out for raw liver. Who knows how many women learned from your mistake by you writing about it here. Not much comfort I know, but maybe just a little.

this was very very kind of you to say. thank you for making me feel better Sad

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:16 pm
The fault is with the store & kashrus agency that is selling a full display of kashered meat & only 1 product that is not kashered. How was op to know???

The need to know how to kasher is true but not at all the point here.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:17 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
The fault is with the store & kashrus agency that is selling a full display of kashered meat & only 1 product that is not kashered. How was op to know???

The need to know how to kasher is true but not at all the point here.

I dont know what to say to the vaad I dont even know who to call. I dont know if I should follow up with my rav and ask him who to speak to.

Why are they selling raw liver if its such an issue? Im quite upset!

Ellie7

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:58 pm
Instead of banning it, can’t the vaad just require a label with details on how to kasher it?

Rubies

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:40 pm
Ellie7 wrote:
Instead of banning it, can’t the vaad just require a label with details on how to kasher it?

Why would anyone want to kasher it?
Due to the fact that most don't pluck their own chickens anymore and the lack of knowledge/ ability, why put a stumbling block?

imanotmommy

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:00 pm
Ellie7 wrote:

There was an article written in one of the magazines not long ago, in which a mashgiach described the issue of stores selling liver without the buyers knowing the halacha. They attempted this solution. They found that no one read it and subsequently stopped selling it.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:51 pm
In Chicago, the local vaad (cRc) only allows sale of broiled livers.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen