Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Do you wear Shabbos clothes for first night Slichot?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 7:27 pm
Ok, I know this sounds supercilious and shallow, and no one goes to Slichot to show off their clothing. Now we've got that out of the way, tonight was the first time in years that I've been able to go to Slichot, and I got there about seven minutes early.

Looking around, I noticed that most of the older women were wearing Shabbos clothes, while most of the single girls were wearing what was clearly weekday clothes. A few were even in their seminary uniform. (Obviously, there were very few young married women.)

So I wondered if this was a generational thing, or what might be the reasons for this difference. Anyone?

amother
Yolk

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 7:54 pm
Nicer weekday or
Shabbos clothes I try even for Megillah leining and other non Shabbos or Yomtov times at shul...

I don't judge everyone wearing what they're comfortable wearing.. I was raised to dress up for all shul occasions, simchas etc.

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 7:57 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Nicer weekday or
Shabbos clothes I try even for Megillah leining and other non Shabbos or Yomtov times at shul...

I don't judge everyone wearing what they're comfortable wearing.. I was raised to dress up for all shul occasions, simchas etc.

Megillah is different, because the shulchan aruch paskens that one should wear shabbos clothing on Purim.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 8:30 pm
No way am I putting on shabbos clothes at midnight. I will be wearing a denim skirt and a baseball cap

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 8:49 pm
I usually go with shabbos clothing as do most people in my shul. We also wear a white tichal.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 9:38 pm
I was going to say pajamas! I haven't gone since the year I was in seminary in Israel!

HonesttoGod

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 11:10 pm
Older women have to clean up from shbbs and don’t have time to shower and change.
Younger/single/seminary girls do. Simple as that.

And if you’re showering and changing - why put shabbs clothes back on?

Beautiful

Post Sat, Sep 17 2022, 11:39 pm
So interesting. I just read in my son's newsletter that one of the reasons we start on mtzsh is to be in our Shabbos clothes and bring the kedusha of Shabbos with us.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:50 am
Beautiful wrote:
So interesting. I just read in my son's newsletter that one of the reasons we start on mtzsh is to be in our Shabbos clothes and bring the kedusha of Shabbos with us.
This year it started on motzash because its the early hours of sunday morning and we, as ashkenazi jews, start slichot a week before RH. Its not always on saturday night.

Id say its just women not changing out of their shabbat clothing.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:57 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
This year it started on motzash because its the early hours of sunday morning and we, as ashkenazi jews, start slichot a week before RH. Its not always on saturday night.

Id say its just women not changing out of their shabbat clothing.

I think Ashkenazi Jews always start selichos on motzai Shabbos.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:59 am
amother Eggshell wrote:
I think Ashkenazi Jews always start selichos on motzai Shabbos.
ok

Elfrida

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:01 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
This year it started on motzash because its the early hours of sunday morning and we, as ashkenazi jews, start slichot a week before RH. Its not always on saturday night..

I think we do always start saying slichot on Motzei Shabbos. This year it was earlier, since there needs to be a minimum of three days slichot before Rosh HaShana, and next motzei Shabbos would be too close.

One of the slichot for the first night even begins במוצאי מנוחה.

Ruchi

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:02 am
Motze Shabbos one should ideally be wearing shabbos clothes. It is not a regular week day. And therefore should not be treated as such.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:04 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok, I know this sounds supercilious and shallow, and no one goes to Slichot to show off their clothing. Now we've got that out of the way, tonight was the first time in years that I've been able to go to Slichot, and I got there about seven minutes early.

Looking around, I noticed that most of the older women were wearing Shabbos clothes, while most of the single girls were wearing what was clearly weekday clothes. A few were even in their seminary uniform. (Obviously, there were very few young married women.)

So I wondered if this was a generational thing, or what might be the reasons for this difference. Anyone?

Just based on this post, I would say its obvious that the single girls changed into casual to go to Starbucks or pizza after Shabbos
The middle aged women were doing stuff at home until slichos and had no time to change

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:06 am
Beautiful wrote:

This idea of changing into weekday clothes on motzei shabbos is a modern idea that people have gotten swept along with. It is not how it should be. One also has to honor the shabbos queen on her exit by remaining in shabbos clothing and eating the special melava d’malka meal.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:09 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Just based on this post, I would say its obvious that the single girls changed into casual to go to Starbucks or pizza after Shabbos
The middle aged women were doing stuff at home until slichos and had no time to change

How about the possibility that some of the middle aged women actually dress shabbos’dig on a motzei shabbos and never subscribed to dressing in weekday wear?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur