Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Class doesn't stop talking !!
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 10:05 am
not easy...can you start your lesson and sprinke throughout with some humor? that usually gets a class

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 10:26 am
amother Khaki wrote:
Omg so many memories
Horrible memories
I am more than 12 years post graduation but why is it all still the same?
I understand that it’s not the teachers fault, but you’re working in a broken system, you should at least be aware of that.
Most of us as adults would never be able to sit quietly through speeches for 6-7 hours a day with our every move being controlled.
It’s hard to be a high school student. And that’s without taking into account that a good amount of kids are dealing with baggage you’re unaware of.
It’s hard to learn when you’re forced to. It’s even harder to learn when you’re fighting to survive. And I promise you many of your students are, for various reasons.
They didn’t choose to sit in your classroom.
I don’t have a solution to this.
My dream is to start an awareness course for teachers. Of how teenage brains work and the affect of stress and trauma on learning.

Yes This exactly.

Girls are not trying to be chutzapdik.

It is very hard for a girl to sit so many hours quietly and listen to the teacher. There are so many boring teachers that just come in and lecture. Maybe not you, but the teacher before etc.

They are in a social setting. It so much more exciting to talk to your friend for a couple of minutes.

Instead of being nitty gritty and yelling and taking off points, keep your class as interesting as possible.

Good Luck!

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 10:28 am
amother Wheat wrote:
11th grade teacher here...its hard and tough! Last week 2 girs were engrossed in a conversation, I stopped talking they didn't even realize! They were so foolish because everyone starred at them! Rest of the day everyone made sure to be quiet...

I also told a girl "come up and let's hear what was so important, at least have the entire class hear the important information"...

This brings fond memories
But won’t help with your subject much

We had a class called Spanish for Spanish speakers
It was to get those from Latin backgrounds to not lose the language, to learn to read and write in a functional manner, and use less Spanglish

We could talk as much as we wanted as long as it was for the entire class and it was in Spanish
My funnest class ever and we all learned and enjoyed at the same time

The person that got up and spoke about anything got extra points on the next test

You need to find a niche for these girls

Can you just put an assignment up in the board and have them complete it and hand it in at the end of class
If they want to talk let them
They may even talk about how to solve the problem which is great cooperative learning
They could come to you for a mini lesson if they chose but if they interrupt they need to go back to their seat
After receiving 2 Fs I think those girls will be quiet

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 11:01 am
Thats really hard I would get a coach

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 9:31 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
11th grade teacher here...its hard and tough! Last week 2 girs were engrossed in a conversation, I stopped talking they didn't even realize! They were so foolish because everyone starred at them! Rest of the day everyone made sure to be quiet...

I also told a girl "come up and let's hear what was so important, at least have the entire class hear the important information"

Maybe its not ideal...but by making them feel like 2 cents but this works...I can't come home with a hoarse voice and a huge headache everyday

Yes I also take off points..some care, some dont....

Oh and lastly...I have this policy,I talk for 10 minutes and allow them to smooze for 5...after that I talk again for 10 break for 5....not ideal for all subjects but for me it works...

I'm the above poster...I know girls today have issues so I also allow them to eat or drink (never told it to them but never made an issue when I saw it) I think they need to keep busy...

If only the cheder system changed😭😭

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 10:18 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
Omg so many memories
Horrible memories
I am more than 12 years post graduation but why is it all still the same?
I understand that it’s not the teachers fault, but you’re working in a broken system, you should at least be aware of that.
Most of us as adults would never be able to sit quietly through speeches for 6-7 hours a day with our every move being controlled.
It’s hard to be a high school student. And that’s without taking into account that a good amount of kids are dealing with baggage you’re unaware of.
It’s hard to learn when you’re forced to. It’s even harder to learn when you’re fighting to survive. And I promise you many of your students are, for various reasons.
They didn’t choose to sit in your classroom.
I don’t have a solution to this.
My dream is to start an awareness course for teachers. Of how teenage brains work and the affect of stress and trauma on learning.

Yes yes this exactly.

High school is torture. I was a top student, a teacher's dream, I got straight A's. But it was so incredibly difficult to sit listening to boring classes a whole day. I have a lot of self discipline, so I did not disturb the classes. I kept myself busy doodling and solving sudokus. But I understand that not every girl can do that
My MIL is a teacher. She hates teacher training days, and says it's so hard to sit through. And I'm like, um that's exactly what your students are forced to do every single day. Just sit and listen to one teacher after the next ramble on and on about what they think is the most exciting subject on the planet.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:41 pm
Op here
Just a little update
About 2 wks ago I was at my wit's end. I couldnt get a sentence out without then talking. I stormed out of the classroom and almost burst out in tears to the principal. Luckily, she was so understanding and level headed that I didnt cry.
She made a list of girls who were making trouble an those interested in learning. Surprisingly, the interested list was longer (though those girls have talking issues too).
She suspended one girl for the day and gave a talking to to a few others. And things got better!! Not perfect, except maybe the next day when they were all still shaking. But I have been able to teach better and some are participating who werent before.
It isnt perfect but at least it is better!!

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:33 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
Yes yes this exactly.

High school is torture. I was a top student, a teacher's dream, I got straight A's. But it was so incredibly difficult to sit listening to boring classes a whole day. I have a lot of self discipline, so I did not disturb the classes. I kept myself busy doodling and solving sudokus. But I understand that not every girl can do that
My MIL is a teacher. She hates teacher training days, and says it's so hard to sit through. And I'm like, um that's exactly what your students are forced to do every single day. Just sit and listen to one teacher after the next ramble on and on about what they think is the most exciting subject on the planet.

So so true
Looking back I honestly don't know how any of us did it

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:36 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
So so true
Looking back I honestly don't know how any of us did it
I think it's because when you're a student it's your responsibility to sit in class for 7 hours straight and you get trained to do it since you're a first grader and you get used to it. There will be individuals who have a hard time sitting through a day at school, but most girls manage perfectly fine.
Now as an adult I can barely sit through a 30 minute lecture.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics