Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Melave Malka Idea

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:02 pm
I'm making a Melava Malka for my daughter's Bas Mitzvah celebration. I need an idea that can either be prepared in advance or easy and fast to prepare after Shabbos. Or something that they can do on their own, but doesn't take up lots of time or space...

I thought of homemade pizza that they can make, but I don't have the table or oven space for the amount we will need...

I thought of homemade waffles and they can top it with a variety of foods. But I think it'll take too long in the time frame I have to be ready after Shabbos. Each waffle takes 4 minutes and I have only one machine. I need to make at least 20...

I thought of wraps, but not sure how kid friendly it is.

I can just do store bought bagels or pizza, but I'd like to keep the cost down. Plus, then I'd have to do a project with them, and I'd prefer not if possible.

Any great ideas?!

momo6

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:12 pm
We did waffles and ice cream. I made the waffles in advance and just warmed them up.

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:17 pm
What about making their own pizza and using pizza makers? can you borrow from some friends or neighbors that have? And then you can just use the 6" frozen doughs that they sell in the store. You can also do ice cream sundaes and they get to put on their own toppings and things

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:46 pm
If I'll also have bday cake, is waffles too much sweets? There'll be adults too.

I don't know if anyone with a pizza maker... Not even sure what that is. But I think if I have that empty time while it cooks, I'll need to do some entertainment too- which I wasn't planning on doing.

I ideally would like the whole melave Malka to be not much more than an hour- hour and half. Is that unlikely?

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:42 pm
A pasta bar is fun, I think 12 year olds can have fun with wraps, then just get ohhh up things, some blowup musical party favors, dim the lights and let the girls dance

Good Friend

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:19 pm
I would do 2 types of pasta - one with tomato sauce and cheese, the other with a white bechamel sauce. Both can be made in advance and just warmed up after shabbos, and you can make in bulk and have it ready at once (or as much as fits in your oven)

Then just have to cut up a salad to go with it. Or you can cut up some veggies before shabbos and roast them after shabbos in the oven.

If you want you can make soup in advance and just warm it on the stove, like onion soup, zucchini soup, etc.

In my experience I've overestimated the interest of 11/12 year old girls have in vegetables. I don't think they'd go for make your own pizza with vegetables or wraps, salad bar etc. But the adults would want it.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:24 pm
Maybe a donut bar, with toppings and stuff, for dessert.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 10:39 pm
Thank you for the ideas!

As it happens, most of the guests will actually not be my daughter's age- either younger or adults. That's just how it happened... So not sure if that'll help or hinder a menu here!

The pasta is a good idea, I thought of it, but I know my own kids won't eat it, so I was hesitating. I may just do that anyway and a salad or cut up veggies to build their own salad. Pasta is definitely less oven space then pizza.

The dessert is a bday cake.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:22 pm
You can do hot sandwiches in a sandwich maker. Maybe borrow from friends or buy (they cost like $10 for a cheap one), have some different breads, cheeses, spreads, veggies and the guests can press them down to cook on their own.
If you wanted something sweet or to take home, I've done no bake cheesecakes in a jar for events. Before shabbos, you make the cheese mixture and graham cracker crumble. Then put out bowls of the cheese, graham, various pie fillings and everyone can layer in a mason jar. Maybe tie on a pretty ribbon with a little spoon.
There are a lot of good ideas online if you Google. Tons of different 'bar' set ups. Hot cocoa bar, sandwich bars, pasta bars
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics