Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/O what did you get for YT thread
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:49 pm
I feel like I live on another planet. In the 2 communities I have lived in everyone I know gets at least 1 outfit for YT. And no, not wealthy communities.

We grew up getting new clothes for yt even if it was from Target. My mother who rarely buys herself anything will get for YT. We were a Kollel family in a tight budget. We got lots of hand-me-downs but for YT there was something new.

The few frum stores in my small oot community are packed before yt. FTR I grew up in Lakewood and what goes in there Erev YT nowadays is insanity BUT the people in my community still get themself something new. Maybe not a whole wardrobe… but something.

There are hundreds of threads about kids clothes. Are we martyrs we that we only but for our children and never for ourselves? Or is it the same 10 people? Or are people afraid to admit what they got because of the holy “I got a brisket” responses? Is everyone legitimately poor or don’t care about such things? (No, we disproved it already in the how much do you make threads and the childrens fashion threads.)

So what’s going on?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:59 pm
All I can say for now ,is that kids grow from year to year and adults dont.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:09 pm
Getting something new can be time consuming and hard for adults. I don't have that kind of time or energy. Sometimes, I won't find anything even if I had a large budget.

Kids are way more fun to shop for.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:10 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:

If your in the stage of having kids then you don’t stay the same size every year….

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:12 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Getting something new can be time consuming and hard for adults. I don't have that kind of time or energy. Sometimes, I won't find anything even if I had a large budget.

Kids are way more fun to shop for.

I hear you. I don’t understand it fully because I love new clothes and buy everything online with easy returns but I do hear your point and I did not think of that before.

Thanks for bringing that up.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:19 pm

Speak for yourself LOL Sad

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:26 pm
I often don't get myself anything for YT. I tend to buy something for a simcha and then wear it for 4 years. Right or wrong, I don't know, but I am able to find cheaper for my kids and I enjoy dressing them up. It would cost me 4x as much to buy for myself. This season I BH am finally in maternity again and found myself with literally nothing to wear. 2 shabbos dresses and a robe cost $500.

Ive tried shein and target. Their stuff never works for me.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:35 pm

This exactly. If my kids fit into last years clothes I’d never buy anything new for them. Truth. But BH they don’t so I do. I never learned the concept (til imamother) of adults getting something new specifically for YT

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I feel like I live on another planet. In the 2 communities I have lived in everyone I know gets at least 1 outfit for YT. And no, not wealthy communities.

We grew up getting new clothes for yt even if it was from Target. My mother who rarely buys herself anything will get for YT. We were a Kollel family in a tight budget. We got lots of hand-me-downs but for YT there was something new.

The few frum stores in my small oot community are packed before yt. FTR I grew up in Lakewood and what goes in there Erev YT nowadays is insanity BUT the people in my community still get themself something new. Maybe not a whole wardrobe… but something.

There are hundreds of threads about kids clothes. Are we martyrs we that we only but for our children and never for ourselves? Or is it the same 10 people? Or are people afraid to admit what they got because of the holy “I got a brisket” responses? Is everyone legitimately poor or don’t care about such things? (No, we disproved it already in the how much do you make threads and the childrens fashion threads.)

So what’s going on?

I don’t want to buy myself anything new for Yom Tov. I have too many clothes that I want to get rid of. Buying new ones will just add to that stress and pressure. Buying clothes doesn’t enhance my Yom Tov so I see no need.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:04 pm
Lol yes in height wise women dont grow.

I appreciate having new clothes and I enjoy the feel of it and feeling good but practically I know my family, and I know as much As it wpuld be good for myself to get something, my kids come first for now because they literally need kitting out top to toe each
season.

They have nothing to fall back on, whereas I do.

I often end up buying mid season.
I usually need my clothes alterating and its just a lot of hassle to schedule that in too before yomtov.

I agree a woman should get something new for yomtov.
I agree aswel that it should come before other expenses.
But practically speaking its got to work for you.

I know I could do with stuff but the stuffy kids need takes up too much stuff in my brain.
No, im not a martyr.

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:13 pm
It’s part of simchas YT for woman to buy something new…
Either way reading that thread had me pretty surprised
I live in a small house in a block with very simple ppl. Everyone gets something new for YT. All my friends the same. Workmates the same.
Some years when I’m not in the mood or have no time or don’t like my body, dh will literally force me to go get something new. Then on YT I appreciate that he did that.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:18 pm
amother Quince wrote:
I live in a small house in a block with very simple ppl. Everyone gets something new for YT. All my friends the same. Workmates the same.
Some years when I’m not in the mood or have no time or don’t like my body, dh will literally force me to go get something new. Then on YT I appreciate that he did that.

Right and no one I know (family, friends, neighbors etc) get something new or if they do they don’t talk about it so I wouldn’t know.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:21 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
Right and no one I know (family, friends, neighbors etc) get something new or if they do they don’t talk about it so I wouldn’t know.

Really really no one?

giftedmom

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:32 am
Hate shopping for myself. I usually just get a robe. Otherwise I only get shabbos outfits when I really need.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:57 am
amother Quince wrote:

It isn’t Simchas YT if you loathe clothes shopping either online or in person and already feel you have too many clothes as I say above. In fact, the pressure to buy new clothes (threads like these) do the opposite of Simchas YT for me. The focus on externals to me for Elul makes me despair.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:59 am
I don't get new things specifically for Yom Tov. This year, I happened to buy a new dress, because it's my first time being visibly pregnant in the warm weather. But once I have a wardrobe that covers all of my needs (winter/summer pregnant and not pregnant) I don't buy for every Chag.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:06 am
*shrug*

I have a closet full of clothes that fit and look fine. I don't need any new clothes.

My kids outgrow things and need new clothes.

Why is this so shocking?

imaima

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:10 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
This exactly. If my kids fit into last years clothes I’d never buy anything new for them. Truth. But BH they don’t so I do. I never learned the concept (til imamother) of adults getting something new specifically for YT

I have learned that in order to have simcha on yomtov, men eat meat and drink wine and women het new clothing.
Also, since we can have all fruit all year long usually, it is safer to get a new piece of clothing for shehechiyanu on the second day of Rosh ha Shana

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 6:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Really really no one?

Yup

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 7:03 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
Yup

Wow. I guess we do live in different planets. I’m impressed. Not bashing Chas v shalom.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics