Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Correct: If Charles loved Camilla he would have made the
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:16 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
True. But this was extremely usual and the whole world was shocked.
But that was back in the 1930s when such things were extremely shocking. IN todays world or even when charles met camilla, in the 1970s, things were very different and the world was all about 2ex drugs and rock and roll, so a bit more laissez-faire about everything. It would not have been such a shock.

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:21 pm
If Diana hadn't been so popular, Charles and Camilla would be the story of true love surviving against all odds.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:27 pm
He may have wanted to have his cake and eat it, but he didn't get to eat it till he was 73 Twisted Evil

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:51 pm
I dont care about expectations, at the end of the day, who caused more long term heartache, the Queen's uncle abdicating, or the relationship between Charles and Camilla?

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:52 pm
how could any of us possibly answer that?

Alternative

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I dont care about expectations, at the end of the day, who caused more long term heartache, the Queen's uncle abdicating, or the relationship between Charles and Camilla?

Which is why family ideas of who it is 'proper' to marry shouldn't overrule personal choice.
We aren't living in the middle ages anymore, people want their marriage to be personally rewarding, not just a business formality.

Charles was a victim of the times. He fell in the crack in between modernity and old fashioned values (sure the rest of the world was already very modern with romance, but the royal family was more traditional).

Like most people, he didn't have enough strength to do his own thing when faced with so much pressure. Just look at all these threads here of women in 2022 upset because they were pressured into marrying a shidduch they weren't happy about. And here we are talking about a million times more pressure, the whole duty to his country guilt trip, the threat of being in exile like his uncle, etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:11 pm
Alternative wrote:
Which is why family ideas of who it is 'proper' to marry shouldn't overrule personal choice.
We aren't living in the middle ages anymore, people want their marriage to be personally rewarding, not just a business formality.

Charles was a victim of the times. He fell in the crack in between modernity and old fashioned values (sure the rest of the world was already very modern with romance, but the royal family was more traditional).

Like most people, he didn't have enough strength to do his own thing when faced with so much pressure. Just look at all these threads here of women in 2022 upset because they were pressured into marrying a shidduch they weren't happy about. And here we are talking about a million times more pressure, the whole duty to his country guilt trip, the threat of being in exile like his uncle, etc.

Charles caused lots of depression. He couldve and shouldve abdicated like Edward. It didnt kill Edward.

Charles didnt abdicate because he wanted to be King! The way I see it, he didnt care that much about the country needing him and expectations.

You disagree?

sequoia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:13 pm
OP, are you not understanding what you’re suggesting? Andrew would be king then. That would be super-duper-ultra bad. It wouldn’t be Anne.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:17 pm
I have no clue why people think Diana was charming. My relative was at a function with Diana once and she was downright rude and clearly not interested in interacting with the public. (she left early and my relative heard her saying "phew" loudly as she walked past her.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:18 pm
sequoia wrote:
OP, are you not understanding what you’re suggesting? Andrew would be king then. That would be super-duper-ultra bad. It wouldn’t be Anne.

1. Charles didnt remain in the path for kingdom to nobly save Andrew from being king.

2. We have no idea if Andrew feeling like hes not destined for royalty, and generally not important, led to the things he did.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:18 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
I have no clue why people think Diana was charming. My relative was at a function with Diana once and she was downright rude and clearly not interested in interacting with the public. (she left early and my relative heard her saying "phew" loudly as she walked past her.)

Contrast that with Charles and Camilla, who seem to be genuinely be interested in meeting people.

nechamashifra

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
The following comments on a Yahoo discussion are so true!

"If Charles loved Camilla he would have made the sacrifice and given up the throne, love is based on sacrifice. Love is a verb, not a noun. Charles had his cake and ate it too".

"IF Camilla had any integrity, she should have told Charles to stay away, at least until his children were grown. Both he and Camilla put those boys last. Charles did make this situation. However, he was always a whiny weasel. Nothing but a piece of fluff".

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyl......html

Imho, as of Sept 8, 2022, Britain has the most selfish King and Queen consort.

Giving up the throne is not a sacrifice. Accepting the throne is committing yourself to a life of service and sacrifice. I don't think anyone wants to be king or queen - you're basically sitting in a golden jail for life. I would definitely not compare it to having any cake.

If anyone was a whiny weasel it was Edward.

Charles prioritized his children way more than Diana ever did.

Alternative

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Charles caused lots of depression. He couldve and shouldve abdicated like Edward. It didnt kill Edward.

Charles didnt abdicate because he wanted to be King! The way I see it, he didnt care that much about the country needing him and expectations.

You disagree?

Charles didn't want to live his life like Edward, in exile, his wife the most hated woman in the country, etc. His mother would probably never speak to him again.
(and yes, maybe he also wanted to be king).
Women in some of the more sheltered groups here live their entire lives according to what society expects of them, even when they hate those rules. Even though leaving the community wouldn't 'kill them'. People do a lot to remain within their community and within what they deem is their role in life.

Definitely not selfish of him. Not strong either, but not selfish. He didn't have a million options.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:33 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
Charles prioritized his children way more than Diana ever did.

How? What in the world did she do wrong, except for not being a prophetess and seeing what was going on with Charles, before she married him?

If Charles walked down the aisle with Diana, knowing he doesnt want to do this, theres nothing in the world, more disgusting, than actually killing someone.

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:40 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
Agree with this.

He wanted to be king. He knew he would.

He was probably not impressed at all by his uncle's actions and didn't view them as imitation-worthy.

His mother denied him the option of marrying his true love. Just looking at their current relationship, I don't think he would've cheated on her. He would have been faithful to her and no one would have this argument about his infidelity.

He was FORCED to marry Diana because he knew that abdicating was not an option for him. He never loved her. The problem is the world did. She was absolutely charming. That must have been so hard for Charles. Everyone in the world thinks he's the luckiest man in the world for having this gorgeous, kind, wonderful woman at his side, and he doesn't feel any of that.

I know that if I had a chance to be Queen of a 1st world country so long as I would give up marrying the man of my dreams, I WOULD CHOOSE TO BE QUEEN.

Charles's choices seem extremely logical to me.

Instead of watching The Crown, you should watch The Windsors series on CNN. A documentary rather than fictionalized soap. It wasn't a choice between Camilla and Diana. When he met Camilla neither were married yet, and he'd never met Diana at all. It might have caused a ripple but he could have married her, if he had forcefully made the case to his parents. And he didn't need to marry Diana. Philip wrote him a letter to tell him he needed to make a decision once the media got wind of them dating. Either to propose or to break up with her, so she could move on with her life and media interest in her would die down. But he absolutely could have broken up with her and kept looking for a more suitable wife.
Actually I feel worse for the Queen's sister than for Charles. He had chances and he didn't take them.

nechamashifra

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
How? What in the world did she do wrong, except for not being a prophetess and seeing what was going on with Charles, before she married him?

If Charles walked down the aisle with Diana, knowing he doesnt want to do this, theres nothing in the world, more disgusting, than actually killing someone.

1 - Threw herself down a flight of stairs while pregnant with William, to get Charles' attention.

2 - Took her boys on vacation on her new boyfriend's yacht. They have a week or two to spend with their mom in their summer - why did it have to include their mom's latest boyfriend and having to witness their PDA's?

As for Charles not wanting Diana, he actually did in the beginning.

Last edited by nechamashifra on Sun, Sep 18 2022, 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

4g01o

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:47 pm
We don't really know exactly what went on.
Diana seemed like an amazing mother. It must've been really hard to be in the limelight like she was. I'm sure there was even some jealousy from Charles. I was only 10 when Diana died and I'll never forget that day. We were on holiday with my aunt and cousins, and my mother, and aunt were in such shock, and so upset. They were glued to the TV. She was the nations sweetheart. We can't know what went on behind closed doors but apparently Charles didn't treat her very well.

I just feel so bad for William and Harry. It's no wonder that Harry went 'off' he didn't want Meghan to go through what Diana did.

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:49 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
1 - Threw herself down a flight of stairs while pregnant with William, to get Charles' attention.

2 - Took her boys on vacation on her new boyfriend's yacht. They have a week or two to spend with their mom in their summer - why did it have to include their mom's boyfriend and having to witness their PDA's?

He was carrying on the affair with (married) Camilla throughout their engagement and beginning of their marriage including telephoning her from the yacht on their honeymoon. I think it's safe to say he never really wanted Diana.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 5:45 pm
nechamashifra wrote:

2 - Took her boys on vacation on her new boyfriend's yacht. They have a week or two to spend with their mom in their summer - why did it have to include their mom's boyfriend and having to witness their PDA's?

No judgement there. I can't imagine the pain of knowing her husband was having an affair and the entire world knowing too.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:00 pm
Can someone who knows more than me please shed some light? If Charles abdicated BEFORE he had children, then Andrew would have been next in line. Would that still hold true once he had kids? Who would have been next had he abdicated after either Diana or Queen Elizabeth died?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics