Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
When to daven for personal request on R'H

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:19 am
I never really learned in school how to properly daven on R'H/Y'K for the things I need. I go to shul and daven the words in the machzor but where/when can I daven for my personal bakashos?

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:21 am
amother OP wrote:
I never really learned in school how to properly daven on R'H/Y'K for the things I need. I go to shul and daven the words in the machzor but where/when can I daven for my personal bakashos?

One of the things I learned was that Rosh Hashana is a day of a relationship with Hashem. Just a relationship not conditional on anything so there isn't a place to daven.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:24 am
But this is the day the fate of my upcoming year is decided! I can't daven for what I need on such a monumental day?

kenz

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:26 am
Of course you can. At any point, when you’re feeling connected. May He answer your tefilos l’tovah!

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:34 am
When I was younger I asked my father this.

If I recall correctly he told me I can add in my personal tefillos before we take 3 steps back in Shemone Esrei.

Anyone can confirm this?

PS - even if it's not here there certainly is a place...

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 11:59 am
I would have it in my kavanos but not personally say them out loud.

Like if you need abundant parnasa, have it in mind in Sim Shalom and Avinu Malkeine. If you need refuos, have it in mind during "Avinu Malkeinu...shelach refuah shelaim lecholai amecha.

In fact, the Avinu Malkeinus are perfect for having your own kavanos - there is so much that they ask for: good year, no enemies, good judgment, good children, refuah shelaima, parnasa, book of Life etc etc.

I will share with you something I heard from R' Moshe Meir Weiss shlit"a, formerly of Staten Island. In bentching, we say that we want to go to E"Y "komemius l'artzeinu", standing upright. We want to go with mashiach, before the techias hameisim, when the dead bodies will roll from all around the world. You can have that kavana in bentching 4x on R"H.

If you really pay attention to the worlds, they truly encapsulate everything a person can need. I would go through the machzor and look at the tefilos I know I'll be saying (I don't daven everything b/c I have young children), and find the words that match your personal desires. THEY ARE THERE!

Also, during the shofar, your primary kavanah should be to fulfill the mitzvah of shofar, but you can also think about everything you want for yourself.

And finally... Hashem knows. Hashem knows what you want, what you need, and what is good for you. If you "only" have kavanah on the actual words and their meaning, you'll 100% have davened for what you need.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:13 pm
there isn't anywhere in the machzor davening where you can daven for a shidduch for someone....if anyone knows of such a place let me know please

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 2:17 pm
I learned that the focus of the day is malchus amd serving Hashem. So you can put your personal requests in anywhere, but you should focus them towards the ultimate goal of serving Him better
So you could say- Hashem please help me with xyz so I have the menuchas hanefesh to connect better with you this year
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur