Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies - Pareve and Vegan

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 3:42 pm
I got a cookbook from the owners of Ovenly which is considered by many to be the best bakery or one of the best bakeries in New York City. I've never eaten there but I have heard of it. It's in Greenpoint.

These were very good indeed - not as good as ones made with butter but very good for a non dairy version which are also vegan if you have anyone who is allergic to eggs. She also has some interesting gluten free recipes which I am going to try as well - including a "recipe" for gluten free flour.

SALTED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
VEGAN

Excerpt From: Erin Patinkin - Ovenly

After finishing college, I packed up my liberal arts degree and started work as a waitress at a vegetarian diner (I was an aspiring actor back then, and that’s what us theater majors do). The owners of the restaurant were a kooky husband-and-wife team whose hearts and wardrobe had never left the 1960s, and the chef was an enormous man adept at backhanded compliments. “Honey, I hear you like to bake. I bet you’re good at it! Bring in something next time you make it. And—as a favor to you—I’ll improve anything you bring me.” Those were fighting words. The diner made vegan chocolate chip cookies that were the type of dessert that gave “vegan” a bad rap. I decided that I would create a vegan cookie that put the restaurant’s version to shame. Little did I know that eight years later, Agatha would take that ancient recipe and alter it to make it absolutely perfect.We’re talking the perfect chocolate chip cookie. Period. The recipe for this cookie (which, by far, is our best selling item) is very specific and needs to be followed to a T. Trust us, if you follow the rules, you’ll be ecstatic about the results.

Yield: approximately 18 cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1¼ cups dark chocolate chips*
½ cup sugar
½ cup (packed) light brown sugar
½ cup + 1 tablespoon canola oil
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon water

Coarse-grained sea salt or flakysea salt like Maldon, for garnish

* We prefer chocolate with 60 percent cocoa content or higher.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the chocolate chips to the flour mixture, and toss to coat.

In a separate large bowl, whisk the sugars briskly with the canola oil and water until smooth and incorporated, about 2 minutes. Note: use fresh, soft light brown sugar. If there are clumps, break them up with the back of a spoon or your hand before whisking.

Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, and then stir with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula until just combined and no flour is visible. Do not overmix.

Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours. Do not skip this step.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper.
Remove dough from the refrigerator and use a scoop or a spoon to form the cold dough into approximately 1½-inch (1½- to 1¾-ounce) balls and place them on the prepared rimmed sheet pan.

If using a scoop, pack the dough into the scoop to make dense pucks. We recommend freezing the balls of dough for 10 minutes before baking as the cookies will retain their shape better that way while baking.

Sprinkle the balls of dough with coarse-grained sea salt (if freezing, remove balls of dough from the freezer first), and bake for 12 to 13 minutes, or until the edges are just golden. Do not overbake.

Let cool completely before serving.”
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins