Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
No memories

Do you have clear memories of your kids as babies?
Yes  
 55%  [ 39 ]
No  
 31%  [ 22 ]
Only certain children  
 12%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 70

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:52 pm
I am sitting here holding my new baby BH, and was reminiscing about my other kids as babies. Suddenly it occurred to me I have almost no memories of my son (my 2nd born, only boy) when he was a baby. I’m talking like newborn up until about almost a year. Yes I have pics of him and can remember instances while I’m looking at photos. But I just realized I can’t conjure up memories of him on my own. Is this normal? Should be noted I experienced postpartum anxiety after his birth and also had a traumatic family event when he was about 8 months old. But this is making me feel awful. Has anyone else experienced this?

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 4:55 pm
Writing stuff down really helps. I mean to do it more! You can just write a random thing on a scrap of paper and file it away instead of putting pressure on yourself to keep an organized and consistent record. Whatever you produce will be fun to look back on.

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 5:40 pm
I don’t have the clearest moments of them. Pictures and videos help. You prompted me to go back and look at videos of my kids as babies. I had a sucky day with one kid in particular and looking at videos of this child as a sweet baby and tot helped me a lot.

Thanks, OP.

Also, I had a major trauma after his birth and I’m wondering if that’s why I can’t either remember specific memories when he was a baby. My husband claims he was a hard baby and was always crying but I think because we were going through a very hard time every time he cried it was major. I really don’t remember Sad and I don’t want to it was a painful time.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 5:42 pm
Pictures help relive those memories. Keep snapping away and develop those pictures!

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:30 pm
Sometimes a kid will ask me a question about when they were a baby and I don't know the answer (first word, etc??).
I think once you have a few kids it's normal.its not like they had much personality yet under a year to stick out as certain occasions.

tweety1

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:41 pm
I voted only certain children but it's more from every child I remember a little. Some more than others. My 2 oldest I remember almost everything. From the real sandwich kids much much less. My teenager remembers certain things that I don't. This teenager was not a teenager then and remembers more than I do.

happy7

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 6:59 pm
I hardly remember anything. I rely on pictures. I don’t have a great memory for events and details of my children’s lives. I try very hard to be In the moment bec I know I won’t remember

saralem

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:10 pm
I’m so relieved that I’m not the only one. I recall certain moments and events but mostly it’s a blur. So much going on, exhaustion, babies very close together. I do know that I was just trying to keep up and did my best juggling it all. I guess the price is few memories.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:30 pm
I have very few memories of my oldest as a baby. It was a hard year filled with one trauma after another, and I was barely sleeping plus working full time. I have a lot more memories of my subsequent children.

mommy12

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:49 pm
My first two were 14 months apart. I recall my first one as a baby. I know my second one was born but after that I have no clue what happened!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics