Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Do you leave your stove top fire on all yom tov?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:24 am
amother Quince wrote:
Rav Moshe says you can straight up extinguish a fire on YT?! I've never heard that.

Here's an explanation:
https://www.sefaria.org/sheets/339313?lang=bi

No, he doesn't say so straight up, but there is reason to believe he was hinting to it. Consult your own LOR for practical guidance for your own kitchen Smile

(It does not seem that most halachic authorities today rely on that kula.)

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:34 am
It's a machlokes whether you can lower a flame on yomtov. I don't know anyone who paskens you can outright turn it out. The logic being that when you turn out the gas you are doing a gramma - you aren't extinguishing the flame but stopping the fuel from reaching it so that it goes out. Lowering the flame just means less fuel is coming through. But I never heard that you can outright turn it out.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:23 am
tichellady wrote:
it’s the opinion of rav moshe feinstein

No it's not.

You are allowed to lower, but not turn off. (IIRC, when he paskened on this, pilot lights were still most common kind of stovetop, you can turn off if there's a pilot light).

mizle10

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 10:26 am
amother Apricot wrote:
Here's an explanation:
https://www.sefaria.org/sheets/339313?lang=bi

No, he doesn't say so straight up, but there is reason to believe he was hinting to it. Consult your own LOR for practical guidance for your own kitchen Smile

(It does not seem that most halachic authorities today rely on that kula.)

I read through this, and it's very interesting, but R' Moshe definitely did not say you can turn off a gas stove. To say he said you can is false.

That article says R' Moshe said: with respect to lowering the gas on yom tov, and whether that's better from just putting it out altogether, I don't really see why it would be any better to lower the gas than put it out entirely. And I have a hugely creative point on this, but I don't want to put it in writing.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 10:33 am
mizle10 wrote:
I read through this, and it's very interesting, but R' Moshe definitely did not say you can turn off a gas stove. To say he said you can is false.

That article says R' Moshe said: with respect to lowering the gas on yom tov, and whether that's better from just putting it out altogether, I don't really see why it would be any better to lower the gas than put it out entirely. And I have a hugely creative point on this, but I don't want to put it in writing.

I didn’t read it, but based on what you quoted, it actually seems like he’s saying the opposite- that NEITHER is permissible.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:07 pm
My family always held you can shut it off if it's part of the cooking process 🤷🏻‍♀️ my in-laws hold the same way
Not sure the source, I can ask my FIL

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:21 pm
No. If I leave anything on, I leave my oven on and a crockpot. But that is due to safety risk management and comfort (my house gets too hot with the flame on).

tichellady

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 5:01 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
No it's not.

You are allowed to lower, but not turn off. (IIRC, when he paskened on this, pilot lights were still most common kind of stovetop, you can turn off if there's a pilot light).

I am 100% sure that this is what my rav told me. He has been a community rav for many years and I don’t think he made this up

tichellady

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 5:06 pm
amother Sage wrote:
I didn’t read it, but based on what you quoted, it actually seems like he’s saying the opposite- that NEITHER is permissible.

I think the last line alludes to the fact that he’s saying you actually can turn off the flame but he doesn’t want to put that in writing for some reason . I don’t actually know but I know this is what my rav poskens so I don’t care whether you think this is true or not based on one minute of internet sleuthing

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 5:14 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
I keep a flame on for yom tov. No blech. I do leave a window open though. I've always done this, married 25+ years.

I also keep the window open a bit , because DH is concerned about carbon monoxide. I do use a blech, but no pot on top. I keep the flame really small.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 6:13 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
No one is scared to leave a window open? Where I live (Lakewood) there’s a high amount of break ins.

We use a hot plate on a timer

I live in Brooklyn, we have bars on the windows Smile
People have break-ins but not through windows

mizle10

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 6:58 pm
tichellady wrote:
I think the last line alludes to the fact that he’s saying you actually can turn off the flame but he doesn’t want to put that in writing for some reason . I don’t actually know but I know this is what my rav poskens so I don’t care whether you think this is true or not based on one minute of internet sleuthing

I have no problem with you saying your LOR allows it based on the teshuva by R' Moshe, but to say R' Moshe allows it is incorrect. It's a psak given based on an interpretation of what R' Moshe said.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 7:04 pm
tichellady wrote:

Woah, back up. I didn’t say anything about the way any rav paskens. All I said was that saying R’ Moshe holds that way based on this psak seems a bit of a stretch. To me it seems he said the opposite.
As for the last line, that is pure conjecture on your part, unless someone asked him and he outright said that.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:21 pm
LK1 wrote:
We unplug one of our ovens so when we turn the knob for the stove it's not turning on the gas.
We take a match from the yarzeit licht that's on and turn on the stove with that.

Really simple and we keep turning on and off.

I always thought we can’t turn the flame off🤷‍♀️

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:38 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
I always thought we can’t turn the flame off🤷‍♀️

According to most, you can't.

You can't even lower the flame unless you need to for cooking purposes (soup was brought to a boil, now you need to simmer it) and according to some, if there is a lower flame also burning you need to move the pot to avoid turning down the flame. You can't turn down the flame just because you finished cooking.

As above, there is an opinion that you can turn off the flame altogether, but I doubt it has been adopted by most mainstream Rabbonim.

tichellady

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:52 pm
amother Sage wrote:
Woah, back up. I didn’t say anything about the way any table paskens. All I said was that saying R’ Moshe holds that way based on this psak seems a bit of a stretch. To me it seems he said the opposite.
As for the last line, that is pure conjecture on your part, unless someone asked him and he outright said that.

I feel like everything I say on this site gets attacked and I’m frustrated with having to defend myself. I’m not writing my own opinion. I’m sharing one view that I was taught . how do you know my rabbi didn’t learn this from rav moshe feinstein or one of his students?

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:59 pm
tichellady wrote:
I feel like everything I say on this site gets attacked and I’m frustrated with having to defend myself. I’m not writing my own opinion. I’m sharing one view that I was taught . how do you know my rabbi didn’t learn this from rav moshe feinstein or one of his students?

I’m not attacking anyone, and I’m sorry if my comments are coming across that way. It’s not my intention at all. I just think that unless you can back it up, you shouldn’t be saying this is R’ Moshe’s opinion, or anything of that sort. Again, I never said anything about what your rav told you.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 10:02 pm
Can everyone please call their own Rav and ask for their own psak?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:55 am
My in-laws have some timer mechanism on their stove. They start the timer, then turn on the gas and light the flame from an existing flame. Then the timer goes off and the flame is extinguished automatically. We just leave on a small flame all yom tov- the same as the one we leave on Shabbos for cholent (covered by a blech on Shabbos). But it's too small to really cook anything and gets VERY frustrating, so I mostly don't use it. Dh usually has a pot of meat on there for a good portion of yom tov though.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 5:57 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
My in-laws have some timer mechanism on their stove. They start the timer, then turn on the gas and light the flame from an existing flame. Then the timer goes off and the flame is extinguished automatically. We just leave on a small flame all yom tov- the same as the one we leave on Shabbos for cholent (covered by a blech on Shabbos). But it's too small to really cook anything and gets VERY frustrating, so I mostly don't use it. Dh usually has a pot of meat on there for a good portion of yom tov though.

They switch on a timer plus the gas? Gosh. Never heard of this before.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur