Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Do you leave your stove top fire on all yom tov?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 6:49 am
Just wanted to clarify about lowering the flame on Y”T. I believe sefardim and ashkanzim hold differently so for those that say you can’t and you can. You can both be correct. Ask your LOR.

miami85

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 6:54 am
amother OP wrote:
I've never done this because I've always been too nervous to leave a fire on for 2 days. Just wondering what other people do when they want to cook on yom tov. I've heard of ways you can turn the stove top on on yom tov from an existing flame. What do you do?

Turning on the fire isn't the problem, putting out the fire is. It's not even so simple to lower a flame it has to be FOR the benefit of the food--I.e. to prevent boiling over, burning etc.

We have left ours on without a problem and when we are concerned, we put a blech on top. We have a burner that's smaller than the others and we usually use that one.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 7:09 am
amother Pearl wrote:
They switch on a timer plus the gas? Gosh. Never heard of this before.

I asked dh- it's called a chagaz. He said it's not legal and they may not sell it anymore. But they still use it and it seems to work well.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:48 am
Haven't read the whole thread, but if you do please make sure to leave the window open a bit or the over the stove vent on. You don't want carbon monoxide building up C"V.

- Yes, we forgot to do that one year and yes, our carbon monoxide detector went off Banging head

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:08 am
amother Navy wrote:
Haven't read the whole thread, but if you do please make sure to leave the window open a bit or the over the stove vent on. You don't want carbon monoxide building up C"V.

- Yes, we forgot to do that one year and yes, our carbon monoxide detector went off Banging head

When I used to use a blech. I would make 4 raised feet out of small foil container, (bent them a few times over) to lift up the blech higher , so that there is no gas buildup that could c"v lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Like this the gas had where to disperse.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 3:38 am
LK1 wrote:
We unplug one of our ovens so when we turn the knob for the stove it's not turning on the gas.
We take a match from the yarzeit licht that's on and turn on the stove with that.

Really simple and we keep turning on and off.

Do you mind to explain this?

Besides for halachic issues how does this work??

Without actually turning your stove on how does your gas come on?
How can you light the flame if there is no gas coming out??

Im not understanding this.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:29 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
Do you mind to explain this?

Besides for halachic issues how does this work??

Without actually turning your stove on how does your gas come on?
How can you light the flame if there is no gas coming out??

Im not understanding this.

She made a mistake. She unplugs the oven to stop the automatic igniter (clicking noise before the flame starts). Turning the knob "on" will release a flow of gas; holding a match or candle (lit from another source, such as a 48 hour candle) next to it will ignite the gas and start the fire on the stove stop. Now she can cook.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur