Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Should supper made for a family be hot?
Previous  1  2

watergirl

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:30 pm
Interesting, I've always brought the food over hot and ready to eat. I've even seen notes on mealtrains specifying the food should be brought over hot.

tichellady

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:33 pm
sbil wrote:
Hot ready to eat. I remember when I had a baby someone brought over a pan of noodles with sauce that was cold and dry. Kids were supper hungry and it barely got touched. I'm pretty sure had it been hot it would probably have tasted better. Not everyone has microwaves to warm food in.

it’s crazy to me to not have a microwave and have a house with little kids.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:33 pm
I never expect hot food. Its nice enough your making me something. Who am I to quibble over temperature.

My last baby was born at a very hard time of the year so I took meals from bikkur cholim (they do post partuim too) instead of my friends. I don't think the food was ever hot. They dropped off around 4pm and was usually room temp and it was totally fine.

tichellady

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:34 pm
watergirl wrote:
Interesting, I've always brought the food over hot and ready to eat. I've even seen notes on mealtrains specifying the food should be brought over hot.

if someone wrote that in my community they wouldn’t get any meals. people work and have little kids and can’t make a meal at dinner time and then deliver it while it’s piping hot.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:35 pm
Sometimes I bring food over right when I make it fresh but then I'm always worried it won't be ready on time and there are transportation issues. If I make it ahead I bring it over cold from the fridge, and if I pull soup from the freezer I make sure it's completely defrosted so it can be warmed up quickly.

I once had a woman in my community bring over a meal in containers and she asked if I could direct her to my pots and pans so she could transfer the food right away so she could take her containers home and I wouldn't have to worry about washing and returning them. It was actually super helpful because I was post C-section and bending down to get the pots out of my cupboard was still painful and my older child was too young to help me with that and DH wasn't necessarily home from work early enough to help either.

essie14

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:49 pm
tichellady wrote:

Presumably everyone has a stove and oven. Why can't the food be reheated in their oven?

SG18

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 3:28 pm
essie14 wrote:
Presumably everyone has a stove and oven. Why can't the food be reheated in their oven?

We don't have a place to put a microwave, but it's easy enough to heat up soups/saucy foods on the stove and dry food in the oven.
Even when I had a microwave, I often preferred how the food heated up in the oven or on the stove.

watergirl

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 3:42 pm
tichellady wrote:
I only have one microwave and I use it for dairy. Anything fleishig goes in the oven or on the stove.

keym

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 3:51 pm
I prepare the food a day before, slightly undercooked so it doesn't dry out when rewarming.
I or my husband brings it over either the night before or first thing the next morning.
The people I send to always seem to appreciate it.

When I got meals, I always preferred to have a cold, cooked meal at 4 that I can stick into the oven and warm up as it works for my family, rather than have kids hungry but supper isn't here yet.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 8:48 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
Sometimes I bring food over right when I make it fresh but then I'm always worried it won't be ready on time and there are transportation issues. If I make it ahead I bring it over cold from the fridge, and if I pull soup from the freezer I make sure it's completely defrosted so it can be warmed up quickly.

I once had a woman in my community bring over a meal in containers and she asked if I could direct her to my pots and pans so she could transfer the food right away so she could take her containers home and I wouldn't have to worry about washing and returning them. It was actually super helpful because I was post C-section and bending down to get the pots out of my cupboard was still painful and my older child was too young to help me with that and DH wasn't necessarily home from work early enough to help either.

Interesting how everyone takes things differently.

If someone would do that to me I think I'd be pretty bothered.
I mean it's nice they brought food but I'd rather not take under these conditions. I don't want dirty pots when I'm post c-section and certainly not reusable containers I need to return.

I always send food in disposables.

SG18

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 2:17 am
I'd rather have one dirty pot from reheating food than multiple pots, cutlery, dirty counters, etc, not to mention the effort when making it myself!

Imax5

Post Tue, Sep 20 2022, 1:18 pm
The most important thing is to communicate. Let them know what to expect - what your time frame s, will the food be ready to eat. Worst thing is to have someone promise dinner and then show up at 6:30 with food that needs to be heated - and honestly, even if they’re going to come right at dinner time with hot food, if they’re not in touch earlier you need to have a contingency in place so it’s still stressful. I think it’s fine to bring hot food ready to eat and it’s fine to bring cold food that needs to be heated - just make sure your recipient knows what to expect.

Actually, the worst that happened to me (twice in one week!) was that the person was in touch earlier in the week and then just … forgot. Didn’t show up at all. One of them apologized the next day but the other never said anything.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette