Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Sarah Schenirer vs. Bnos Bina vs. Bulka

J

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 8:22 am
My DD is in 12th grade and is planning to apply to a seminary which offers an accelerated Bachelors degree. So far we only know of Sara Schenirer, Bnos Bina, and Bulka. What is the difference between these seminaries? TYA

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:02 am
Check the colleges through which it's offered, might make a difference.
Prices? Majors? Time it takes? Will she go for master's after? Compare their curriculum - will probably have to do some CLEP?
I heard that Bnos Bina is a great seminary, but know nothing about their bachelor's program.

J

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:20 am
Thanks! When do people usually apply to seminary? According to their website, filing period for next year did not start yet.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:26 am
I think it's just the Israeli seminaries that you apply chanukah time. The local programs you can apply even pesach time. I think. I remember Bulka was having their open house last February for 12th graders.

scruffy

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:26 am
As far as I know Sarah Schenirer is just college classes, not a seminary.

J

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:28 am
scruffy wrote:
As far as I know Sarah Schenirer is just college classes, not a seminary.

That’s what I thought, but somebody told my daughter that they have a seminary/bachelors program

J

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:17 am
Does anybody know what the tuition for The New Seminary (Bulka) is? The website says that you pay for the seminary separately. Cost of college depends on the program, obviously. I wonder what does seminary charge.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:30 am
J wrote:
Does anybody know what the tuition for The New Seminary (Bulka) is? The website says that you pay for the seminary separately. Cost of college depends on the program, obviously. I wonder what does seminary charge.

I think alot depends on whether you are eligible for financial aid. I remember we looked into it at one point, and as we would not be eligible, it would have been quite expensive. Upwards of 30K just to get her BA. (It varies by the program/degree, the cost is per credit, so you multiply the requisite number of courses by the cost per credit).

J

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:36 am
Chayalle wrote:
I think alot depends on whether you are eligible for financial aid. I remember we looked into it at one point, and as we would not be eligible, it would have been quite expensive. Upwards of 30K just to get her BA. (It varies by the program/degree, the cost is per credit, so you multiply the requisite number of courses by the cost per credit).

I am not talking about the college part. It depends on the program/degree, you are right. $30k for a Bachelors Degree is not bad. That’s approximately how much a 4 year program in a CUNY college costs. On top of college, the seminary itself is charging tuition. I wonder how much that is.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:40 am
J wrote:
I am not talking about the college part. It depends on the program/degree, you are right. $30k for a Bachelors Degree is not bad. That’s approximately how much a 4 year program in a CUNY college costs. On top of college, the seminary itself is charging tuition. I wonder how much that is.

It was quite a few years ago, maybe it was like 8K then.....I remember they said they offer breaks on the seminary part sometimes....but the college part is what it is.

ETA I'm totally misremembering that number. I'm probably way off.

A BA from Sarah Schenirer is alot cheaper though (again, depending on the program). My DD got a BA in psychology for around 18K. However IIRC the college that Bulka goes thru is a more prestigeous one.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:48 am
Are you sure Sarah Schenirer also has seminary? I think they offer an accelerated BA in a year IF you come in with seminary credits. So I was thinking of a possibility of doing Bnos bina for seminary (many girls love it) and Sarah Schenirer for a BA the same year.
I'm still unclear what BA majors Bnos Bina is offering.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 12:03 pm
amother Puce wrote:
Are you sure Sarah Schenirer also has seminary? I think they offer an accelerated BA in a year IF you come in with seminary credits. So I was thinking of a possibility of doing Bnos bina for seminary (many girls love it) and Sarah Schenirer for a BA the same year.
I'm still unclear what BA majors Bnos Bina is offering.

I think you're right. My DD did came in with seminary credits (from Bnos Chaim Seminary in Lakewood) and she did the accelerated BA in a year, for about 18K.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 12:06 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I think you're right. My DD did came in with seminary credits (from Bnos Chaim Seminary in Lakewood) and she did the accelerated BA in a year, for about 18K.

What is she working as now with this BA? Were the classes in the evening and on Sundays, so a girl can do, say, Bnos Bina seminary simultaneously?
Did she have to do many CLEPS?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 12:10 pm
amother Puce wrote:
What is she working as now with this BA? Were the classes in the evening and on Sundays, so a girl can do, say, Bnos Bina seminary simultaneously?
Did she have to do many CLEPS?

She is working in a related field that requires at least a BA. I'd be happy to elaborate via p.m.

The classes IIRC were two nights a week and Sundays. My DD worked at a local medical establishment during the year that she was doing Sara Schenirer. Would she have done Bnos Bina seminary at the same time, I can't say. There was alot of studying (yes to CLEPS - they were called something else (ETA: Coopersmiths), but similar idea - there's a whole bunch of tests to take on the side) for Sara Schenirer, lots of papers and presentations and work to do outside of classtime, so not sure how that would work out with another study program being done simultaneously. DD did it with a job that she left behind when it was done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics