Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Afula - New Anglo Community
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 11:27 am
Anyone move there or know anyone that moved there? I am curious how the community is doing. We didn't want to be pioneers but would consider it once it's a bit more established. Particularly interested in how the schools got off the ground.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 11:30 am
I know someone personally who went. She shared with me there's loads of issues and things that came up right before with the community and their Rav told them they should move asap.

She didn't tell me what it was but she said it was multiple issues after the course of a few months, but don't ask me what they were cuz I honestly don't know.

She won't share it with me maybe cuz of loshon hora?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:07 pm
We're doing really well, thank G-d, settling in.
Of course there have been issues and kinks. You think a brand new community of pioneers is going to settle a new place and NOT have issues, things coming up, changes of plans? We're dealing with the Israeli government, for crying out loud.
All of us here knew what we were signing up for. No one joined thinking it would be a bed of roses.
I know everyone here, and basically everyone who was going to join, but didn't for varying reasons. There was only one family who moved with the community to Afula (albeit to a different area) who pulled out, and I've spoken to the wife about it on multiple occasions. We're old friends and still see each other often.
Those of us who are here are very happy! We're in touch with people who are scheduled to join us in the next year or so, and are constantly sharing information and helping them along with the process. We're working hard and davening hard to make this work, and B'Ezrat Hashem we should all have a yishuv tov and see a lot of success and reward for our hard work.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:09 pm
I think Kiwi had some issues when looking to move there - maybe reach out to her?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:09 pm
Maybe message Kiwi13 I think she was looking into it at one point

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:11 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Of course there have been issues and kinks. You think a brand new community of pioneers is going to settle a new place and NOT have issues, things coming up, changes of plans? We're dealing with the Israeli government, for crying out loud.
All of us here knew what we were signing up for. No one joined thinking it would be a bed of roses.
I know everyone here, and basically everyone who was going to join, but didn't for varying reasons. There was only one family who moved with the community to Afula (albeit to a different area) who pulled out, and I've spoken to the wife about it on multiple occasions. We're old friends and still see each other often.
Those of us who are here are very happy! We're in touch with people who are scheduled to join us in the next year or so, and are constantly sharing information and helping them along with the process. We're working hard and davening hard to make this work, and B'Ezrat Hashem we should all have a yishuv tov and see a lot of success and reward for our hard work.

It's beautiful to read this...kol Hakovod!

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:17 pm
We are here and bH very, very happy. I am laughing about the "loads of issues" comment. There have been some changes to original plans, as would be expected when moving to a new country and dealing with Israeli beurocracy, but the leadership is calm and confident and always pushing forward. My kids are in the schools here and they are very happy. The things that are important - the people carefully selected to join the community, the leadership, the housing and the schools - are really, really lovely. All in all, I think the challenges are handled in a professional and caring manner...life has challenges, what more could you ask for?

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:27 pm
You may PM me, letoeles, if you are serious about considering this community.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:28 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
I know someone personally who went. She shared with me there's loads of issues and things that came up right before with the community and their Rav told them they should move asap.

She didn't tell me what it was but she said it was multiple issues after the course of a few months, but don't ask me what they were cuz I honestly don't know.

She won't share it with me maybe cuz of loshon hora?

These are the moments when letoeles NEEDS to factor in.

I will not be following this thread, but if someone has a genuine need to know, they may PM me.

(ETA: I hope I have enough credibility on this site, and enough dan l'kaf zechus under my belt to be trusted on this.)

Last edited by Kiwi13 on Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:29 pm
Ginger and NeonBlue (I'm assuming you guys know each other in real life?) that is really a beautiful positive update. I imagine one's attitude/perspective really goes far in how one experiences the inevitable hiccups. I wouldn't "laugh" at anyone who may experience things differently than you. But really so so thrilled to hear that people are settling in well and kids are acclimating.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ginger and NeonBlue (I'm assuming you guys know each other in real life?) that is really a beautiful positive update. I imagine one's attitude/perspective really goes far in how one experiences the inevitable hiccups. I wouldn't "laugh" at anyone who may experience things differently than you. But really so so thrilled to hear that people are settling in well and kids are acclimating.

I am simply laughing at the comment, not at any specific person. The comment is funny to me because our community is so happy, and I am here actually experiencing life here every day...it just feels funny to read someone's impression of my real life
: )

This is the loveliest group of people I have ever had the privilege to live with together as a community. We constantly comment to one another that we can't imagine how Olim move without a supportive group to help each other through the learning process, or without such a supportive Rav. We truly do love it here, despite the inevitable hiccups.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:00 pm
Can you elaborate more on some practicalities? I know things must have changed from way back in the planning stages when we got direct information from the founder and I was also told that information on the website has not been updated.

So can you talk about housing? Do all of the new olim live in the same 1 or 2 apartment buildings? Is everyone renting or are there units for sale?

What ages/genders are the schools for for this school year?

So exciting!

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:06 pm
amother Ginger wrote:

She made it sound like it was NOT little hiccups but rather serious concerns she had, and in the beginning her Rav told her to just go through and it's little things but more things came up over the past 2-3 months that are much more concerning and her Rav said she should try to move somewhere else as soon as she can.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:18 pm
I would also love to hear how the new Yishuv is doing. Also very interested in apartments for sale. Are you anywhere near the Rabbi's that had a special Zoom meeting of Afula? Was it Rabbi Chait/Rabbi Berman? Is it near the new area for Chassidim? Do you need a car to get around?

Alternative

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:38 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
The things that are important - the people carefully selected to join the community, the leadership, the housing and the schools - are really, really lovely.

I would be very very wary of any community which 'chooses' who joins. It sounds creepy. I know it's a model that occurs in Israel (only in yeshuvim with under 400 families), but it is rampant with problems.

Also a yeshuv is a different dynamic. Afula is part of a city. How is this community defined? What happens if one family suddenly starts doing something the 'community' doesn't approve of? Are they excommunicated? What if one family has kids who are all OTD? Do they have to follow community rules as to how to relate to them?

Way too much control on the individual IMO.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:01 pm
I think we can see many different perspectives on challenges. To one family their Rav said not to come, to many others their Rabbanim said to definitely join. We are happy our community has so many types of people, but all happy with the mehalech of the Rav and the schools. We are glad that people are vetted to make sure they will be happy here, it has created a real achdus here. I would say if you're interested, come on a pilot trip and see for yourself. If you come, expect to work hard and contribute to a great community!

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:04 pm
Alternative wrote:
I would be very very wary of any community which 'chooses' who joins. It sounds creepy. I know it's a model that occurs in Israel (only in yeshuvim with under 400 families), but it is rampant with problems.

Also a yeshuv is a different dynamic. Afula is part of a city. How is this community defined? What happens if one family suddenly starts doing something the 'community' doesn't approve of? Are they excommunicated? What if one family has kids who are all OTD? Do they have to follow community rules as to how to relate to them?

Way too much control on the individual IMO.

When she says "carefully selected" what she means is we were trying to establish a basic hashkafic dynamic for the community. People were interviewed to glean where they're holding hashkafically, and if they had any major red flags which would negatively impact the development of a brand new community. No one here feels their lives are being controlled. This isn't a cult, it's a tzibur, a kehilla. We live near each other, are supporting each other through the aliyah process, settling in, and everyday life in general.
We've already been zoche to a few Simchas together, and it's been so beautiful watching everyone come together to celebrate that, connect, and get to know each other. There are people from different backgrounds who have children and relatives who have gone in all different directions and there is no judgement whatsoever. That's part and parcel with the hashkafa the rav was looking for when establishing this new community.
Doing this is definitely not for everyone, but this happens to be an amazing group of individuals and families, and it's really a privilege to be a part of it.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:10 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
She made it sound like it was NOT little hiccups but rather serious concerns she had, and in the beginning her Rav told her to just go through and it's little things but more things came up over the past 2-3 months that are much more concerning and her Rav said she should try to move somewhere else as soon as she can.

I think amother NeonBlue said it well. For some people some things will look greater than others. If we're speaking of the same person, she had other considerations to take into account that were not relevant to me, personally. Neither of us has any qualms about the decisions made by the other, we're both very happy that each other's families are thriving as a result of our choices.
This community was everything my family needed in order to successfully make Aliyah. Not so for her, and that's okay.
There have been hiccups, there have been little changes, there have been major changes. They've all been taken in stride, from what I've seen, and I don't think any of us envy the position of a Rav who has to make such decisions on his feet while, again, dealing with Israeli bureaucracy.

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:22 pm
Amother Ginger and Neonblue - The new community sounds great, but a lot of this discussion is also somewhat vague. Can you please elaborate on some of the changes, both major and minor, to what was originally anticipated, as well as some of the challenges you face as a community and individuals, whether through Israeli bureaucracy or other issues?

Alternative

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:36 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
When she says "carefully selected" what she means is we were trying to establish a basic hashkafic dynamic for the community. .

OK. I hope it all works out. I've just seen too often that when a community is too selective, two things happen:
a) people are excluded, often for reasons beyond their control. A lot of yeshuvim, for example, are reluctant to accept single mothers or unemployed couples, because they worry they will be a burden on the community down the line. That's very problematic. I dont know if this community does the same.
b) People change a few years down the line, and then it's very complex for them to fit in with a super homogenous community.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic       Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions