Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADHD help, natural?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 9:29 am
amother Tan wrote:
How much magnesium orally? Chapter 1 has a magnesium citrate gummy. Is that ok? Enough magnesium?
I wont do foot soaks... kids would never do that. A chewable vitamin? That they will do.

Kids are on meds but want to help any other way possible since meds do wear off...
No, magnesium citrate gummies are not a good idea. And in general, you can't try to give a gummy (or any single supplement for that matter) and expect it to work similarly to a drug. Treating things with supplements is very different than taking drugs because you are addressing root causes, and unfortunately there are no shortcuts.

If your kids won't sit for footsoaks you can try magnesium lotion on their feet. Seeking health also makes a decent chewable magnesium malate .

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 9:33 am
amother OP wrote:
I see phosphatidylserine says it's a "weight gainer" . Ds is a lready a weight gainer. He's obese. Eats way too much. Do I skip it?

Where did you see that? I haven't heard of this before.

In general people respond differently to different supplements so it's hard to know without trying it. I don't know if I would just skip it but there are definitely other things you can try first.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 9:44 am
amother Lemon wrote:
No, magnesium citrate gummies are not a good idea. And in general, you can't try to give a gummy (or any single supplement for that matter) and expect it to work similarly to a drug. Treating things with supplements is very different than taking drugs because you are addressing root causes, and unfortunately there are no shortcuts.

If your kids won't sit for footsoaks you can try magnesium lotion on their feet. Seeking health also makes a decent chewable magnesium malate .

What is the science behind this?
FYI I couldn’t find one study that says soaking feet in magnesium helps with anything more than athletes foot or other foot/skin issues.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 9:47 am
Also, what is seeking health? I only do kosher vitamins so any chewable and decent tasting magnesium vitamins from a kosher source? Preferably from Amazon because of where I live…

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 10:16 am
amother Tan wrote:
What is the science behind this?
FYI I couldn’t find one study that says soaking feet in magnesium helps with anything more than athletes foot or other foot/skin issues.
https://www.ancient-minerals.c.....sium/

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 10:18 am
amother Tan wrote:
Also, what is seeking health? I only do kosher vitamins so any chewable and decent tasting magnesium vitamins from a kosher source? Preferably from Amazon because of where I live…
I don’t know of a good kosher chewable magnesium. You can either open capsules into applesauce, chocolate syrup etc, or use a liquid in juice.

greengrapes

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 10:33 am
Where do I get magnesium to soak? I'm not against medication but would like to try natural first.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 10:44 am
amother Lemon wrote:
Where did you see that? I haven't heard of this before.

In general people respond differently to different supplements so it's hard to know without trying it. I don't know if I would just skip it but there are definitely other things you can try first.

Vitamin Friends All Natural Vegan Children's Appetite Stimulant and Weight Gainer with Boost Appetite Gummies

This is title of it

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 11:13 am
amother Lemon wrote:
https://www.ancient-minerals.com/transdermal-magnesium/

Any studies not promoted by people trying to sell it?
And one study they quoted had 16 people. Not exactly a decent quality subject group.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 1:28 pm
amother Tan wrote:
And one study they quoted had 16 people. Not exactly a decent quality subject group.
Read Dr. Carolyn Deans book The Magnesium Miracle. There may not be any large studies because there isn’t a lot of money to be made off magnesium. Magnesium flakes can’t be patented.

Personally, I don’t need a study for me to try it. If you don’t feel it’s helping, you can always stop. You can also track your cellular magnesium levels via rbc magnesium blood test before and after.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 1:28 pm
greengrapes wrote:
Where do I get magnesium to soak? I'm not against medication but would like to try natural first.
Magnesium chloride flakes on Amazon. Any brand as long as there are no added ingredients. Ditto for epsom salt.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 1:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Vitamin Friends All Natural Vegan Children's Appetite Stimulant and Weight Gainer with Boost Appetite Gummies

This is title of it
I just looked this up and don’t see any phosphatidylserine in it.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 12:30 am
I just finished reading finally focused and want to get blood levels tested to see what needs supplementing. If I go to my pediatrician will he be ok with testing whatever is mentioned in the book? I'm imagining he'll laugh at me Surprised

Another question:
This is for my child. How do I go about at the Dr when discussing adhd symptoms? I can see my child would feel so uncomfortable. How do I prepare him? I've never mentioned this possible diagnosis to him.

Thanks in advance.

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 1:57 am
amother Tan wrote:

Medicine and drugs are promoted by people trying to sell them.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:32 am
kiwi strawberry wrote:
Medicine and drugs are promoted by people trying to sell them.

That's why I don't decide my meds based off of a book or website published by someone selling the product.
I like double blind placebo studies. Of large study groups.

Any ACTUAL studies showing magnesium foot soaks work?
My kids wont do foot lotions either. Sensory.

Vitamins - sure. There is a science behind vitamins. But only chewable for them....

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 5:01 am
exercise! but you need to be consistent. half an hour each morning. I have heard this really helps.

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 5:04 am
My child did amazing with synaptol, it’s homiopathic. Sell it in sprout in Monsey. Hatzlocha!

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 6:43 am
I am going to point out that medicine is more regulated than supplements. And from what I gave read, most children don't get helped long term by non medicinal methods. Are some kids sensitive to certain foods? Yes. But I would never take my daughter off gluten without proof that it bothered her. We do keep sugar to a minimum and chocolate because she notices the negative affects.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:32 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
exercise! but you need to be consistent. half an hour each morning. I have heard this really helps.

No kid will do 1/2 hour exercise before going to school/yeshivah.
This idea is nice I'm theory, but does not work for a child who has true ADHD.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:36 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
No kid will do 1/2 hour exercise before going to school/yeshivah.
This idea is nice I'm theory, but does not work for a child who has true ADHD.

why do you think it doesnt work. if you are consistent it works -
I have heard from one friend that her son does this and it really helps
and in an adhd class I took with a known rebbetzin- she personally knows one mother who does this with 2 adhd boys.
it happens to be that I see that the kids with adhd particularly enjoy exercise. (I have a few kids with adhd. - some medicated some not)

also OP asked for alternatives to medication - this is as valid an alternative as any of the others mentioned. probably healthier. she didnt ask for an easy option- meds would be the easiest option.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)