Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
How do you make yom tov?

fish

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:21 am
Can someone please explain how the middle class (not eligible for any programs) makes Yom tov? We both work but I don't have any money to make yom tov. I have been walking around feeling like crying for the past few days. Everything is so expensive and I don't have an extra dime, we are pay check to pay check even without Yom tov expenses and I don't buy extras. What are we doing wrong?

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:32 am
Well, it's one of the reasons many people go to their parents for many or most of the meals. Or you cook as simply as you can and put it on your credit card and pay it off over a few months. After Yom Tov, start putting aside a small amount of money in an envelope every week. This way, you will be prepared for next Yom Tov with some extra funds.

It's not easy! Good luck!

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:51 am
Where I live, a lot of people take maot chitim which helps a lot. I got a case of grape juice, a case of chicken, a roast. The chicken will last me a long time. The roast I can probably get at least two meals from.

I make side dishes based on what vegetables are on sale. Not based on what I see in magazines.

In some ways this month is easier then pesach because I can make rice, pasta, barley for side dishes. So a meal would be chicken, a veg and a starch. Or roast, a veg and starch.

I have some health issues so I get more prepared food from bikkur cholim these days but before I did I made every single meal myself. It was realllllly hard. No family and my kids are not great guests so I really know how hard it is.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:53 am
I make a few meals. I go out for the others. I host a a lot of guests (like 10) at a time.

I don’t make expensive roasts. I find that serving a whole chicken, dressed up schnitzel (like with a sauce), a cheaper cut of meat like ribs or lamb chops can give a wow factor. Or make a vegetable stew with meatballs. Serve lots of cheap vegetable sides, kugels, potatoes. Tons of fresh salad to fill everyone up. Make your own challah and deserts.

fish

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 12:01 pm
I make my own challah and desserts, I don't buy any prepared foods, and definitely don't buy roast (only chicken and ground meat). Also no family to go to unfortunately. Hopefully next year will be easier b/c this seems to be the story of my life

Highstrung

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 12:06 pm
When it comes to Yom Tov , HaShem pays us back for what we spent. So I put it on the credit card and right now have no means to pay for it, but HaShem will help the same way he has always helped. It may take me a long time to pay it down. But right now it’s a bracha for me that I actually have some credit on my card.

Highstrung

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 12:07 pm
fish wrote:
I make my own challah and desserts, I don't buy any prepared foods, and definitely don't buy roast (only chicken and ground meat). Also no family to go to unfortunately. Hopefully next year will be easier b/c this seems to be the story of my life

I don’t know where you live but some types of roasts on sale arw cheaper than chicken nowadays.

L25

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 12:10 pm
I'm so sorry Sad the cost of food has gotten really crazy. It's not you. keep repeating to yourself. it's not you. is there a maot chittim campaign where you live. My husband actually looked to see if there was anyone we could get cheaper from the slaughterhouse and it seems that meat is just expensive. We bought colichel for like 7 something through a distributer. not sure if that's an option? it's a pain though because you need to buy in bulk and find someone to share with....

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 12:12 pm
Some people buy one thing a week during the summer and cook and freeze so the expenses aren't all at once when YT comes around. (And they shop the pesach sales after purim during the weeks when they're using up the chometz in the house since they aren't buying their usual weekly orders while they use up what's in the cupboards.)
They also put $40 away in an envelope week throughout the year, in order to be able to cover another $1k for sukkos and $1k for pesach.
It's hard no matter which way you slice it. These expenses come up at the same time as school expenses and camp expenses so it's extra hard.
Please reach out to Tomchei Shabbos, Masbia, Oneg Shabbos, etc. They have people on their rosters who need help during yomim tovim even if they don't need during the year.

L25

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 12:16 pm
Highstrung wrote:
I don’t know where you live but some types of roasts on sale arw cheaper than chicken nowadays.

'
how cheap are we talking? I don' think I've ever seen a roast cheaper then chicken...

agreer

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 12:18 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Where I live, a lot of people take maot chitim which helps a lot. I got a case of grape juice, a case of chicken, a roast. The chicken will last me a long time. The roast I can probably get at least two meals from.

I make side dishes based on what vegetables are on sale. Not based on what I see in magazines.

Best line ever!

We need to be realistic about the amounts of food that will be eaten and the amount of courses that need to be served.

You don't need to have fish, soup, salad, 2 mains, 3 sides and dessert at every meal.

This year, I'm skipping dessert at the night meals. My kids will be sleeping, and no one really needs it.

Fresh vegetables in season taste so much better than anything wrapped in puff pastry.

Highstrung

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 12:29 pm
L25 wrote:
'
how cheap are we talking? I don' think I've ever seen a roast cheaper then chicken...

$6.99 a lb
White Chicken cutlets are $8.29 lb
Dark Chicken cutlets are $7.99
Pargiyot are $7.99
(I wasn’t factoring in chicken legs. My DH and kids won’t eat it)

L25

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 12:33 pm
oh ok. that makes more sense. I was thinking in comparison to chicken on the bone but you clarified that you weren't including that.

just fyi for anyone it helps- costco has chicken cutlets for cheaper then that.

L25

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 12:36 pm
it's true when I buy and cook for y"t I'm really buying and cooking for way more then just y"t since I buy in bulk so if I make a few roasts and then put them in my freezer for later, I might be spending the money now but it's really not all for now so you can either buy less now or figure out your budget that you'll be spending less on it later one.

naturelover

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 12:58 pm
I buy clothing that I can in the summer (pants, white shirts, tights etc...). Also I start buying extra chicken and freezer ingredients in the summer...like one or two things a week. I bake and make my own challah. Serve simple dishes. Buy fruits and veggies that are on sale. Try to shop in Aldi or cheaper stores like that for whatever you can.

Living Princess

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 1:23 pm
Things like stir fry and meat balls are not expensive. Vegetable soup. Potato knishes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics