Home

Newborn Ears misshapen wwyd? Time sensitive

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:37 am
I have a 3 week old , when he was born his ears weren't curled in
Anyone have any experience with this? pediatrician wasn't running to do anything about it and wasn't concerned.
We spoke to a plastic surgeon who said we have 2 options 1 which would cost 4,000 or 1 about 450
As well I'd we want to do amy need to do this week since need to start latest at 4 weeks
None are guaranteed to work as well it's a lot of money for us right now.
Wwyd? Anyone have experience with this
Back to top

amother




Slategray
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:38 am
Look up ear buddies
Back to top

amother




Maple
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:42 am
From my experience, ds was born with one ear uncurled but it did it’s own thing and is now perfect. It wasn’t too bad so I didn’t mind risking leaving it…
Back to top

amother




Heather
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:42 am
Find a Dr who does the earwell device asap. It is non surgical and can't be done later than 3 weeks from birth. Most ear issues resolve. Would be silly to start with surgery when ear molding can work (and may not even be necessary).
We did it for our child.
Back to top

amother




Heather
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 11:44 am
amother Heather wrote:
Find a Dr who does the earwell device asap. It is non surgical and can't be done later than 3 weeks from birth. Most ear issues resolve. Would be silly to start with surgery when ear molding can work (and may not even be necessary).
We did it for our child.


Edited to say sounds like you were offered the earwell. Do it!! And push to start ASAP.
Back to top

amother




Holly
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 1:37 pm
Do the ear molds asap. They work like magic. Very benign- it’s a mold held down with tape. But it only works first three weeks.. so worth it!!
Back to top

amother




Ginger
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 1:52 pm
Another vote for the ear molds. They really work!
Back to top

amother




Peony
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 2:12 pm
Ear molds really work! I did it on my 4 week old and saw huge changes BH.

If you’re nursing, your baby’s ears are likely still pretty soft even at this age, increasing the likelihood that it’ll work.

Insurance may cover the ear molds by the way - we got it covered. We didn’t want to wait for insurance to let us know whether it’ll be covered or not (can take up to 3 weeks by which time her ear would be significantly harder) so we paid up front and anxiously waited for insurance to process the claim.

There is the question of whether the ears being imperfect is worth potential paying $4k for. I erred on the side of paying. No way to know what they’ll look like eventually without it and I didn’t want to end up regretting not doing it.
Back to top

amother




Quince
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 2:29 pm
My doctor told me to leave it and I regret it. My daughter is a teenager now, a beautiful girl BH, but her ears are slightly misshapen. I wouldn’t be surprised if she wants to get surgery to fix it at some point.
Back to top

workout geek




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 3:10 pm
An ENT was able to put a foam mold with tape to help my daughter's ears correct. Cost 35$ material fee plus an office visit that was covered by insurance. Total cost was around 200 if insurance would not have paid. It worked great for my daughter.
Back to top

amother




Peony
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 3:29 pm
workout geek wrote:
An ENT was able to put a foam mold with tape to help my daughter's ears correct. Cost 35$ material fee plus an office visit that was covered by insurance. Total cost was around 200 if insurance would not have paid. It worked great for my daughter.


I’m intrigued!

What is the ENT’s name and where are they located? Also, what was the issue that your daughter had called? Only if you feel comfortable sharing of course.
Back to top

amother




Tulip
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 4:20 pm
What can be done for my baby. She is 2 mnths and her ears are shaped normal but they stick out alot and makes her looks funny.
Back to top

amother




Peony
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 4:29 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
What can be done for my baby. She is 2 mnths and her ears are shaped normal but they stick out alot and makes her looks funny.


At 2 months her ears are probably already hardened meaning it’s too late for ear molds. You can go for a consultation to a plastic surgeon to see if you got lucky and her ears haven't hardened all the way yet. Dr. Gila Weinstein in Brooklyn is excellent at ear molds and would be honest about whether it’s worth doing at this point.
Back to top

amother




Gray
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 4:38 pm
OP are you in Brooklyn? If yes I'm assuming I know the doctor you're talking about because of the price. She doesn't take insurance. There is another great doctor who has an office in manhattan and the 5 towns who accepts a lot of insurances and does the earwells too... all covered by insurance. Let me know if you need his info. He's great.

I did it before I knew about him. Did it 3 years ago when the doc still charged 3k (and has since then gone up to 4k) I don't regret it though. Worth every penny and she's a great doc.
Back to top

amother




Garnet
 

Post Wed, Sep 21 2022, 5:03 pm
I know someone who taped her daughter's ears with scotch tape. It worked
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 6:30 am
amother Gray wrote:
OP are you in Brooklyn? If yes I'm assuming I know the doctor you're talking about because of the price. She doesn't take insurance. There is another great doctor who has an office in manhattan and the 5 towns who accepts a lot of insurances and does the earwells too... all covered by insurance. Let me know if you need his info. He's great.

I did it before I knew about him. Did it 3 years ago when the doc still charged 3k (and has since then gone up to 4k) I don't regret it though. Worth every penny and she's a great doc.


Yes I am, plz send the information so I can look into it
Back to top

amother




Papaya
 

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 6:47 am
2 of my kids were born with an ear uncurled and I left it. They look totally normal now, I don't even remember which one it was
Back to top

SG18




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 10:31 am
amother Tulip wrote:
What can be done for my baby. She is 2 mnths and her ears are shaped normal but they stick out alot and makes her looks funny.


I had this with my daughter. Basically from when she was born until about 7 months old (when she started disliking it) I used these headbands and had them go over her ears. I'm not sure if they actually flattened her ears, or just made them more discreet until she grew into them a little more, but I don't really notice them anymore.
I chose these even though they're a little pricy because they're the only ones I found that are really adjustable, so they fit for a long time.
https://monicaandandy.com/prod.....46974
Back to top

amother




Magenta
 

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:35 pm
My baby had this on both ears and the doctor was pressuring me that I should do something quickly, before 4 weeks. I didn't do it. at 5 weeks its fixed itself so its hard to know.
Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health

Related Topics Replies Last Post
MR Drops for ears
by mandr
12 Today at 8:47 am View last post
Newborn photographer - Lakewood area
by amother
3 Today at 1:05 am View last post
Newborn photographer
by amother
3 Sat, Nov 26 2022, 5:55 pm View last post
Overly sensitive and kvetchy
by amother
2 Fri, Nov 25 2022, 12:36 am View last post
Time sensitive- crown heights
by amother
4 Thu, Nov 24 2022, 7:31 pm View last post
by SYA