Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Want guests

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:29 am
We are being home first yt, made a whole menu, cooking up a storm... But legitimately have no one to eat it all! My kids are small, dh is not a huge eater. My family is all away except maybe one single brother in law who may come for one meal.

Where do we get guests from? Our neighbors are large families we don't have room for or people dh isn't comfortable inviting. I can't think of anyone else who needs.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:32 am
It's wonderful that you want to host. Call the rabbi of your shul.and ask if he knows anyone looking for a place.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:12 am
It's probably too late to invite anyone for RH without them feeling like an afterthought. But, looking ahead, find out who in your community is widowed or divorced, and invite them *well in advance* so they won't feel like a poor little nebbech who was last on someone's list.

twizzlers1

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:31 am
I have had the craziest week. My dad just moved Israel and I have barely done any shopping or cooking. Honestly if somebody invited me now I would be so happy! Not happening we are a huge crowd of people with married kids coming but I don't think it's too late to invite somebody. We've been invited a number of times on a Thursday and I've also invited people on a Thursday and I don't think anyone ever felt bad. I agree with calling the Rabbi because maybe he has an idea of someone that you didn't know. So nice that you want to have guests. I would love to be a guest! Just for one meal.

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:36 am
I wish we could invite people! We live in a place that's probably not going to get a minyan so we can't. Sad

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:00 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
It's probably too late to invite anyone for RH without them feeling like an afterthought.

Not necessarily - if you tell them you decided at the last minute to entertain for RH, and you're so happy they can join you, they might be delighted, like twizzlers1!

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:08 am
Me! If you're in Israel, invite me! I'd love to go!!!

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:09 am
amother Zinnia wrote:
I wish we could invite people! We live in a place that's probably not going to get a minyan so we can't. Sad

I didn't realize this would be an issue, but could you still invite single women, or men who are in the process of conversion but haven't finished yet?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 4:43 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
I didn't realize this would be an issue, but could you still invite single women, or men who are in the process of conversion but haven't finished yet?

Those people might not be obligated to daven with a minyan, but in Rosh HaShana most people want to. Especially someone in the process of converting would need to experience the full Rosh HaShana davening in shul.

On the other hand, if you invite enough people, that could take care of the minyan!

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 5:21 am
there are lots of days of yom tov coming up! Most stuff freezes very well, so label it carefully and keep it for erev yom kippur, sukkos etc.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 7:33 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
It's probably too late to invite anyone for RH without them feeling like an afterthought.

Not too late at all!
I didn't make a thing for rosh hashana yet and I'm sure I'm not the only one!
My husband is oot for work, I work everyday until 3 and then busy with kids and errands...

SG18

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 7:35 am
I didn't start making food yet, and I'm home with my toddler. Just got an invite today, and we were very happy to accept!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 7:51 am
I live in Brooklyn, not being home for any other yom tov.

I work until 6 then have 4 little one ... That's part of why I want guests. I want adult company and someone to appreciate my effort.

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 8:22 am
amother OP wrote:
We are being home first yt, made a whole menu, cooking up a storm... But legitimately have no one to eat it all! My kids are small, dh is not a huge eater. My family is all away except maybe one single brother in law who may come for one meal.

Where do we get guests from? Our neighbors are large families we don't have room for or people dh isn't comfortable inviting. I can't think of anyone else who needs.

I love your enthusiasm and I hope you find people to host who will appreciate your generosity and enhance your YT. But curious - why are you cooking so much food if you're not expecting guests at this point? You can make a beautiful and festive seuda without cooking for an army.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 8:27 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
I love your enthusiasm and I hope you find people to host who will appreciate your generosity and enhance your YT. But curious - why are you cooking so much food if you're not expecting guests at this point? You can make a beautiful and festive seuda without cooking for an army.

I'm not cooking large portions but regular sized recipes with some variety because I'm experimenting on different things. This is our first holiday home so I don't have things that I know will for sure come out good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur