Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How to keep playroom functional with add kids

benny

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 7:28 am
Anyone have playroom tips for keeping the playroom functional with kids who are add? It never gets cleaned up properly without major over site (lots of junking and dumping) and toys and pieces from games are constantly
Getting pulled from a million places to be included in all their creative games- as many times as I’ve tried enforcing not using lots of pieces from different places it’s just not happening. They get too wrapped up in what they’re doing. So currently the place is upside down with tons of bins of mixed toys.

I had an organizer come in a few years ago and we revamped the whole place and put in a good system.it lasted a bit but then became undone. Then I removed tons of toys from the playroom so we don’t have as much stuff. But it’s still a disaster.

I have some very add kids who have a severe lack of organization. The add affects them in many areas in school as well so there’s only so much I can be down their backs about this. I know it’s not just laziness and really is a skill that’s very difficult for them.

How can I as a mother set up a system that will keep the playroom functional and organized to some degree?

Thanks

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 8:45 am
I’d say make the playroom look neat and don’t worry about the toy bins being jumbled. Is it bothering you or the kids?

benny

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 8:59 am
It’s bothering me but I also feel that when we have guests there’s nothing findable to play and it just gets more and more unorganized.

Rubies

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 9:04 am
Really keep just the basics. Anything messy needs a special time to play and only when things are put away.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 9:15 am
Strict rules. No taking a new toy/game until this one is put away. ADD kids can manage this in Montessori schools, so they can manage this at home too. Just have to be really on top of it for a bit until this rule becomes a habit.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 9:51 am
You might have to help them clean up.

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 10:05 am
I have the same issue. Currently, playroom is an actual disaster. Everything on the floor. And I simply don't have the time or energy to take care of it right now. I've already created a system. Kids can't maintain it without tons of oversight by me. I've already gotten rid of tons of toys. We really have just the basics. But still a wreck.
My next plan is to keep the closet doors locked and take out 2-3 toys at a time.

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 10:08 am
benny wrote:
It’s bothering me but I also feel that when we have guests there’s nothing findable to play and it just gets more and more unorganized.
I would stash some toys and games in an upstairs closet they don’t go into, so you can pull out when you’re hosting. You would need to make sure they don’t mix them with their shmush but at least you only need to be on top of things occasionally.

benny

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 10:34 am
amother Lightcoral wrote:
Strict rules. No taking a new toy/game until this one is put away. ADD kids can manage this in Montessori schools, so they can manage this at home too. Just have to be really on top of it for a bit until this rule becomes a habit.

Ugh you’re probably right but there’s so much I need to be on top of them about already- because basics round the house and their backpacks, and having their school stuff is already something I need to be very on top up. There’s only so much I can control and enforce… I don’t want to be giving orders all day! Which is probably why I keep letting the playroom situation go
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics