Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Giving rosh hashana gifts to babysitter and playgroup morah

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:50 am
Is it expected to give a rosh hashana gift to my child's morahs? They are baby and toddler age. What would be the normal thing to give?

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 11:50 am
I dont. My baby has been there 2 weeks.
I give 50$ to each morah at chanukah

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:23 pm
It never hurts to gift your kids morahs.
Doesn't need to be big or fancy or expensive.
Just something to say thanks for watching my kid, looking forward to a great year together.
thi year I was not in a position to buy or make anything big,
I got a small honey jar, with a honey stick, wrapped it pretty and wrote a note.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:31 pm
There are NO rules whatsoever.
If you feel like it and your budget allows it do, if not don't.
Moros don't expect it. They appreciate a gift because it shows parents appreciate their service!
If your children are more difficult than average, it doesn't hurt to be on good terms with the morah! Wink

YounginBP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:46 pm
My sister are teachers. Some mothers are really special and send something every rosh chodesh.
But that's the exception, maybe 1 mother every year or 2 does this. (Coffee n Muffin, chocolate, Ice cream pop)

That said, I never did it yet.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it expected to give a rosh hashana gift to my child's morahs? They are baby and toddler age. What would be the normal thing to give?

Don't know where you are, but definitely not expected or frequent at all in Lakewood.

"Expected" would be Chanukah and Purim, but a group gift might take care of this.

Common would add in end of year.

It's nice though to do though.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:54 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
Don't know where you are, but definitely not expected or frequent at all in Lakewood.

"Expected" would be Chanukah and Purim, but a group gift might take care of this.

Common would add in end of year.

It's nice though to do though.

To clarify, it's not necessary cash that's "expected"....that's social circles determined.

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 12:56 pm
YounginBP wrote:
My sister are teachers. Some mothers are really special and send something every rosh chodesh.
But that's the exception, maybe 1 mother every year or 2 does this. (Coffee n Muffin, chocolate, Ice cream pop)

That said, I never did it yet.

How do they send an ice cream pop?

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:38 pm
I'm in Flatbush and never heard of such thing.

Why do we keep raising the bar higher and higher. It's enough that we have to give chanuka and purim.

And yes I appreciate teachers and how hard they work
But I'm not an atm

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 1:59 pm
Wishing shana tovah on a card costs nothing, or $2 for a card.

Not neccesary or expected, but always nice.
(I'm not a teacher)

By honey jar, I didnt meant a fancy honey dish, literally a glass jar of honey. Total $4, and the morahs really appreciated the gesture.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:12 pm
Can someone help me with wording for a card with honey for teachers? I’m drawing a blank..

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:20 pm
I dont remember exactly but did somthing like this.

Dear morah x
Thank you for such a smooth start for X, s/he comes home really happy everyday. I appreciate the time energyand effort you put in to each child.
This year should be a year filled with bracha and joy for you and your family.
Looking forward to having you as X's morah throught this year.
"Shana tovah umetuka"
Thank you,
xxxx

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:21 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Wishing shana tovah on a card costs nothing, or $2 for a card.

Not neccesary or expected, but always nice.
(I'm not a teacher)

By honey jar, I didnt meant a fancy honey dish, literally a glass jar of honey. Total $4, and the morahs really appreciated the gesture.

4 x 5 teachers adds up. Then calculate time and effort. Yup, lets continue to raise the bar because we we have so much spare time and spare cash on our hands.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Are we subconsciously doing this as bribery, so that the teacher 'likes' our kids? Of course, we need to show appreciation and thanks, but not to such a degree. The teachers are not children, who need continuous pats on their back as encouragements to do their jobs. They are adults and an occasional acknowledgement is more than sufficient. Chanukah, Purim, verbal thanks at PTA and during any communications is already more than on target.

If you want to give gifts monthly, and have the capabilities to do it - that's great. But keep it on the down low, so that it doesn't become a new 'rule'.

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:36 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
4 x 5 teachers adds up. Then calculate time and effort. Yup, lets continue to raise the bar because we we have so much spare time and spare cash on our hands.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Are we subconsciously doing this as bribery, so that the teacher 'likes' our kids? Of course, we need to show appreciation and thanks, but not to such a degree. The teachers are not children, who need continuous pats on their back as encouragements to do their jobs. They are adults and an occasional acknowledgement is more than sufficient. Chanukah, Purim, verbal thanks at PTA and during any communications is already more than on target.

If you want to give gifts monthly, and have the capabilities to do it - that's great. But keep it on the down low, so that it doesn't become a new 'rule'.

Definately true, I did not say at all necesary, just that it cant hurt and it is a nice thing.
100% not expected, I should ahve answered that question first before sharing an idea that could be simple if you only need to do two.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 2:55 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
I dont remember exactly but did somthing like this.

Dear morah x
Thank you for such a smooth start for X, s/he comes home really happy everyday. I appreciate the time energyand effort you put in to each child.
This year should be a year filled with bracha and joy for you and your family.
Looking forward to having you as X's morah throught this year.
"Shana tovah umetuka"
Thank you,
xxxx

Thanks!

fbc

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 7:33 pm
As a Morah and a mom of kids in school, no it's not expected at all, yes it's appreciated. I don't like your kid more if you give something, and I don't not like your kid if you don't give. Personally, I gave something small with a nice note along the lines of what was written above. Hakaras hatov is super important to me, and a little goes a long way.

momallhours

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 7:40 pm
Agree I dont look at it like hey why am I an atm I look at it like I really appreciate it that you are my child's morah and that you put in so much time effort and care into each day for a job that does not bring in the big bucks and can sometimes be very physically draining (looking at you terrible 2s;)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics