Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Migraines in a 9 year old

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 3:28 pm
My 9 year old has recently started to suffer from headaches and twice it has developed into a migraine and she was extremely nauseous.
Has anyone had it with their kids?
(We have an appointment with her doctor but where I live it's a 2 week wait)

SG18

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 3:34 pm
Does she wear glasses? I would get her eyes checked.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 3:40 pm
One of my kids had migraines at a younger age. Motrin may help. Refuah Shelaima!

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 4:18 pm
Had this. Went thru years of trying to figure her out. Ended up being brain inflammation related to pandas. Bh he’s fine now after being treated with antibiotics and ivig

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 4:33 pm
My 9 year old also started getting the occasional headache and once or twice got really bad. I attributed it to puberty and dehydration. I get migraines too so I guess it runs in the family. Motrin definitly helps.

momi

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 4:38 pm
SG18 wrote:
Does she wear glasses? I would get her eyes checked.

I had this exact scenario with my child.
Hatzlachah

GiGichai

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 5:00 pm
If her eyesight is fine, I would swab and do bloodwork for strep and lyme. My son had horrible headaches with ongoing strep and undiagnosed lyme. (If there is nausea, it can very well be strep).

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 5:02 pm
I had migraines as a kid. I went to all kind of neurologists and Dr's. Besides that it was genetic, lack of sleep and certain foods triggered it. I also found that change of schedule- or getting back on to schedule caused it. Stress too. Taking advil right away used to help. Once it's on, then you need stronger meds. As an adult, I see the pattern hormonally. I take Magnesium and the frequency and severity has really decreased.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 5:04 pm
In addition to vision issues, strep and Lyme, celiac and gluten sensitivity can also trigger migraines.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 5:27 pm
Thanks for your replies. I had her eyesight checked and it perfect bh. I do get migraines and I really hope that she hasn't started at such a young age.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 5:38 pm
This is common in children because teachers don't let them drink during class and they aren't drinking enough. See if you can get them to allow your child to have a water bottle on their desk so they can sip all day. And then see if it improves.

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Sep 22 2022, 9:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I had her eyesight checked and it perfect bh. I do get migraines and I really hope that she hasn't started at such a young age.

Unfortunately, if you have them, she’s predisposed to have them.
I had my first one at the age of 8. Still have them 50 years later unfortunately.
One of my kids started having them when they were teenager, but outgrew it, BH.
Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) never seems to help me. Excedrin works, but not always. Hormonal migraines (before period) never responded to anything.
Refuah sheleima.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 12:03 am
amother OP wrote:
Sounds like me. I think I got my first migraine at 10. My mother has them, and my grandfather had them. It can be genetic. Get her to a neurologist and see what they say.
Once she gets the right medication for the migraines, it should get better. Also, for me, lying in a pitch dark room helps the most.

bnm

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 11:49 am
Keep track of food and weather to see if any of it is a trigger. My kid has been getting migraines for years, eventually we did go to a neurologist and get a MRI done to rule out abnormalities. For us weather and not sleeping enough seems to be a trigger or being sick- had one and had covid with no other symptoms but the rest of us got very sick. That kid was the first one with symptoms. Another time it was strep.

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 12:06 pm
My friend had this when she was young. It stopped when she stopped eating msg

amother
Skyblue

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 12:06 pm
Pandas or sinus.
Op have you ever though about sinus?

mrsnistar

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 1:29 pm
I also started getting migraines pretty young. If it's in the family, it's more likely to get them. For me, I definitely found it to be hormonal. Dehydration is also a major trigger. Sleep deprivation too. As a teen, I found I'd get them after smelling a strong coffee or the smell of cigarettes...

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 1:45 pm
It’s quite common for children to start getting migraines in childhood , especially if there is a family history. Nevertheless I would take her to the paediatrician for a work up and to confirm the diagnosis . They might also do an MRI, often that is part of the process.
Try keeping a headache diary where you or she write down when she had a headache, how bad it was, if it was accompanied by nausea/vomiting/ neurological symptoms and how long it lasted.
Also try figuring out what kind of triggers your daughter has.
Those can range from not enough/ too much sleep, fasting/ caffeine intake ( although maybe not in her case) , weather, bright sunlight and many other things. These things can then be modified/ avoided.
There are many ways of treating or preventing migraines. Starting with good hydration, sleep hygiene, regular mealtimes, magnesium supplements, Vitamin B1 to NSAID like Ibuprofen and Triptans. Don’t hesitate to treat her attacks as needed.
MD here who does headache clinics
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics