Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pierced ears refuse to heal after 9 months...

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 11:18 pm
I'm at my wits end. My 7 year old daughter got her ears pierced 9 months ago. We did everything we were supposed to, but my daughter's ear lobes are still infected. p****, crusty, bleeding. I've tried every type of gold 14k, 18k, titanium and every type of earring, hoops, plastic, you name it. We've tried soaking, bactroban, bacitracin, wound wash, etc. One earlobe is always infected, the other one is often infected. I'm treating her ears 3-5 times per day! Are some people just unable to have pierced ears? I'm on the verge of giving up and letting them close, but she's going to be devastated...

Rubies

Post Sat, Sep 24 2022, 11:41 pm
Maybe she needs antibiotics? What does your Dr say?

newinbp

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:01 am
Did you try the company blomdahlusa.com? Also taking the earrings out and doing the bacitracin and soap and water and letting them heal with no earring inside at least for a week or two? Blomdahl has plastic earrings try those

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:47 am
I got myself second holes in the upper part of my earlobes last year. They were inflamed, crusty and all that for about half a year. They only got better after I began taking them out at night. I'm a side sleeper. Suppose getting squashed and snagged on the pillow every night had prevented them from healing. During the day, the earrings just were in place untouched, so that let the holes heal but kept them open. Not sure if that works for everyone, though.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:00 am
I had this personally - ears pierced for bas mitzvah and they refused to heal for years. Turns out I am allergic to nearly every metal out there. When I put earrings in I get this reaction - inflammation, bleeding, pus too. I haven't found earrings in titanium yet Sad and my earring holes are closing because I stopped wearing earrings.

OP, perhaps try a dermatologist? An allergist may be helpful with allergies if applicable. At least a PCP to rule out infection vs something else?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:53 am
I would use the salt water wash recommended. I made my own after googling directions.

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 3:47 am
I cant wear earrings. I get so infected... I let my holes close up. It wasnt worth the pain and infections. Some people just cannot tolerate anything. Even ones touted as allergy friendly still made my ears crusty, painful and red.
I have no other allergies and no eczema or other sensitivities. But I cannot wear earrings!!

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 4:49 am
Call your pediatrician
Personally I’d let it go for now let it close up and heal
Perhaps try again at a future date

fauxreal

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 8:21 am
OP, sorry you’re going through this.

I stitched my torn earlobes last Jan, pierced in May.

Pierced with silver earrings. Felt very sensitive to the touch but I figured it’s normal.

When I removed the piercing and tried pushing in regular earrings, it was super painful. After a while, I stopped wearing earrings. The holes refused to heal, painful to touch, blood, constant crust, etc.

I realized they weren’t going to heal. Two months ago, I finally went back to the plastic surgeon. Turns out I had a small cyst in my earlobes from either:

A. from the cross stitching (front of ear to back of ear). Something with dead cells transferring, not exactly sure.
B. The silver piercing (sensitivity?)

Surgeon restitched my ears, this time doing stitches for the front of the ear and the back of the the ear separately - to avoid skin contact from front to back. Also, the piercings are now gold in case I’m sensitive to silver.

BH BH it’s been a month and no pain.

I know this isn’t exactly matching your saga but I hope it helps. Refuah sheleima!

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 8:31 am
I pierced my baby’s ears and we had one ear lobe that was infected and kept getting infected. I took the earring out for a long time …. Like few weeks and let it heal: I then put one back , I was sure the hole closed and bh it didn’t . I bought real gold earring hoops nothing on the ear. And she’s been bli ayin hara fine since : maybe just let it be for a while

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:48 pm
Use antibiotic cream 2x a day and let them heal with no earrings. Once healed try huggies, instead of studs that are on are the ear - they put pressure and don't allow air to circulate. Huggies are kind of like a tiny hoop, so all that is in the ear is the post stick that goes through the ear, and there is room for the ear to breathe all around. Use a q-tip to put a drop of bacitracin on the front and back each night.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 3:11 pm
DD got her ears pierced when she was 7 and they kept getting infected. In the end I insisted she let them close and told her we would repierce when she gets older. I was using the saltwater spray religiously but the infections kept coming back and I think it’s because she tended to play with the earrings while focusing on things.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 2:06 pm
Take out earrings or studs and let it all heal.
When all is 100% healed redo piercing if needed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics