Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Wearing sneakers in Shul on RH. (Clean Presentable)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:26 am
My health is not in great shape at the moment. Can I go to shul in Sneakers without feeling a million eyes on me? It would be slightly easier for me to be there for a long time without my feet and body aching in Shabbos shoes. Please be kind when answering. Shana Tova.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:29 am
I would say definitely. If you are otherwise dressed well, people assume the sneakers are for walking/standing reasons.
Feel good, refuah sheleimah!

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:36 am
I bring crocs and switch from Shabbos shoes when I come to shul.

Surrendered

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:40 am
I will iyh be wearing my sneakers in shul on Yom Tov.
We need to do what's right for us. Who will suffer later if we want to please the world by wearing shoes?
Have a wonderful relaxing Yom Tov- in sneakers.

up

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 1:58 am
I second that. I would wear my comftable shoes over pretty shoes... if your on your feet for so long you have to be comfortable.

a2z

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 2:08 am
The baal tefila's wife and other rebitzinz in my parents shul wear sneakers/ crocs/ bring them in a bag & change to them

twizzlers1

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 2:12 am
I'm in Israel that would be totally fine around here. I think being able to daven well it's absolutely the most important thing. If people are judging you on Rosh Hashanah then I feel sorry for them. I think anybody that would see somebody and she's like that would know it's so that they can daven better.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 2:49 am
I am young and I wear sneakers every week. Wear what you need to wear. No one stares at me and if they do, I dont care. I know that wearing them makes it possible for me to be in shul.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 3:05 am
Absolutely wear sneakers.

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 3:10 am
You do what you need to do.

Wishing you a healthy and happy new year!

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 3:14 am
I live in Los Angeles

My shul is full of fashionable women.

I would 100% absolutely wear sneakers if it would enable it to me to feel better and daven better. As it is, I wear flats, but if I had any health issues, I would not care one bit.

Things I've learned:
1) No one cares. If they look, it's for two seconds and that's it.
2) Is your physical and spiritual health worth vanity? No!
3) Really... no one cares.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 3:48 am
OP here. Thanks so much for your thoughts. Shana Tova.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 5:54 am
I was talking to Rebbitzen Heller on Shabbos, and she says that she warns all the seminary girls that Rosh HaShana is not the time for fancy footwear. Rosh HaShana is a time when you are on your feet for a long time, and you need to wear what's going to enable you to be comfortable and daven well. She recommends the girls wear sneakers!

I wear sandals, but I make a point of wearing very long skirts on Rosh HaShana so they are not too obvious.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 9:52 am
I wear sneakers every Shabbos to shul and RH will be no different. People realize that I am wearing it because I have difficulty wearing shoes. If I wear shoes, I will feel the side effects for days.You do what’s best for you and I am guessing that you won’t be the only one.

Java

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 10:22 am
Definitely no judgement here. If I see someone wearing sneakers in shul I assume its for health/orthopedic reasons and that's that.

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, Sep 25 2022, 10:39 am
I live in Miami - most people I know wear sneakers on shabbat. I myself have 2 pairs of white "shabbat" sneakers with glittery accents, as do my daughters.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 2:58 pm
In a random and unscientific survey of the women sitting near me in shul (taken while the men were selling the aliyos), I noticed one teenager wearing pink sparkly shoes with very pointed toes and high heels. Everyone else in sight was wearing flat shoes, ranging from ballet flats to orthopedic shoes to sneakers.

When you're on your feet for a long time, comfortable footwear just makes sense.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Sep 27 2022, 4:18 pm
Op thanks to your post I want to bring my very comfortable probably not very fashionable tennis shoes well for sure not fashionable tennis shoes both days. But because of that I was able to daven musaf and didn't feel like I had a rush because I had to sit down. And my feet didn't hurt at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur