Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Fasting Yom Kippur if feel very unwell fasting
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:27 pm
lostmyoldSN wrote:
There are also single moms out there who don't have a husband who can come home.

But if that is the situation, I would definitely ask a rav what to do if I got so incapacitated that I couldn't care for my kids.

Single women know this information in advance and should make every effort to prepare (send the kids away, hire help, invite a teenage neighbor/niece to help out etc.).

lostmyoldSN

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:21 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
Single women know this information in advance and should make every effort to prepare (send the kids away, hire help, invite a teenage neighbor/niece to help out etc.).

Of course. But I know there will be someone who can think of a single friend or relative who has no-one in their lives. Or just not have all the where-with-all to get the help she needs.

But otherwise, all the way.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:54 pm
imaima wrote:
What is there is no neighbor or rav? How limited is your cognition to believe that some women may be just really really by herself?

I was told to use my own judgment many times by rabbonim. I call a rav in advance to discuss at what point I switch to shiurim and at what point I switch to food, if I have to. Litvish yeshivish.

You were told to use your own judgment many times by rabbonim with regard to YK??? I find that hard to believe. Maybe you mean regarding other times.

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:02 pm
imaima wrote:

I also I don’t get why you and some other amothers feel it necessary to harp on how „important Yom Kipur is and you don’t dare to break it“. It is not a kiruv website it is a website for frum women who obviously know all about Yom Kipur.
THAT BEING SAID there are ways to deal with illness on this day

This is not a kiruv website, but from many posts on this thread, it seems that some aren't fully aware of the halachos of this day.

1. A few posters compared it to tisha bav. Tisha bav is derabannan. YK is doiraisa.
2. Comparing breaking fast to taking shiurim. Taking shiurim is derabanan. Breaking fast is doiraisa. Of which breaking it is written in much stronger terms than other halachos.

So yes, the reason I and others are stressing it is because if people would fully understand the severity, they WOULD take additional precautions.

For someone thinking of potentially breaking their fast because of weakness, they need to be in bed all day to avoid it. Their husband needs to look after the kids. etc.

No one is saying that you or others didn't get heterim for your specific situation. But that doesn't become a blanket free for all for everyone to make their own decisions or put themselves in a situation where it needs to be broken.

mizle10

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:20 pm
imaima wrote:
It’s not the way the reasoning was explained to me. I won’t go into detail for an amother but I don’t think you are right.

I also I don’t get why you and some other amothers feel it necessary to harp on how „important Yom Kipur is and you don’t dare to break it“. It is not a kiruv website it is a website for frum women who obviously know all about Yom Kipur.
THAT BEING SAID there are ways to deal with illness on this day

It's actually BECAUSE it's not a kiruv website that I feel we need to be careful with what we post regarding halacha. When people see that regular frum shomer torah umitzvos women say things that are implying that yom kipur or any halcaha is not a big deal it makes you start doubting whether it really is a big deal.

If someone not so religious would say "well I wasn't feeling well on YK, what was I supposed to do??" I would dismiss it as not understanding. But coming from someone frum I start to think hmmm maybe it really is as simple as just eating because I feel faint and DH is in shul.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 2:25 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
Am I understanding correct ,You drove yourself on Motzei Yom Kippur to the hospital? Why didn't you get someone to take you? One doesn't drive if one is potentially in labour and having contractions. . It carries a serious risk G-d forbid of a RTC.

Of course my husband took me, LOL.

lostmyoldSN

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 2:36 am
I also highly recommend Kali Tzom or similar. I find it helps me so much. I'm not a great faster and when I take it I really fast much better. When I'm nursing, I find it helps my supply too.

lostmyoldSN

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 2:39 am
ASK. ASK. ASK. That's all I can say. I've gotten some pretty surprising responses from Rabbanim over the years with regards to fasting. Some were really less stringent than I expected and some were more. But often, it was very reasonable and made sense for my situation.

imaima

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 4:51 am
amother Gladiolus wrote:
You were told to use your own judgment many times by rabbonim with regard to YK??? I find that hard to believe. Maybe you mean regarding other times.

Other times I can call the rav on the phone and ask immediately. Not so on Yom Kipur

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 4:31 pm
Op are you on birth control? I had this with iud and actually feel way healthier pregnant!!!

Also can you get iv? It is super helpful and many big in town communities provide it as a free Yom kippur service

abc 123

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 7:21 pm
OP here BH I asked dr and a rav and dr said I should drink shiurim as I have low blood pressure which is probably why I feel so unwell fasting. Bh rav gave me heter for drinking shiurim .and I will spend the day in bed. Even dr said it's unsafe to fast with such low blood pressure. BH I asked and got answer I needed this time before YK instead of deciding for my self on YK when I very unwell and can't go ask a rav.
Where I live there is no IV option anyway. But I have had to use IV in the past when fasting for surgeries.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur