Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Do women have to fast?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 8:42 am
Is it halacha?

behappy2

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 8:42 am
Yes. With leniencies.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 8:46 am
Why am I the only woman I know fasting every fast? Is it really Halacha?

SYA

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 8:53 am
As per my Chabad Rov, if a woman is pregnant or nursing they do not have to fast most fasts. The exceptions are Yom Kippur and 9 Av.

As for Tzom Gedaliah there is an added leniency. If someone really doesn’t fast well and it takes a week to recover they will usually get a heter not to fast. YK is min hatorah. If fasting today may affect their fasting on YK they may be told not to fast today.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:00 am
Yes. Before I was pregnant/nursing I fasted every fast. Now that I'm in a pregnant/nursing cycle, BH, I'm not fasting "minor" fasts. I'm still doing as much as possible Tisha B'Av and Yom Kippur. I was able to fast both while nursing.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:10 am
There are rabbonim that hold that those with children or small children at home do not need to fast the 'minor' fasts , even if not pregnant or nursing.

Different rabbonim hold differently.
Im talking about a blanket heter.
Not to try and ask rov if not feeling well.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:14 am
I used to fast every fast. I am a terrible faster and would get sick. So I would end up breaking the minor ones.
Now that I am nursing an infant (no solids yet) I dont even bother to try for the minor ones.

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:24 am
Yes, women do have to fast. Yom Kippur and Tisha b'Av always and absolutely, pregnant and nursing women don't have to fast the other ones. There are communities where this is not observed. Some halachos have mazel, and some don't.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:27 am
I was told today that I don't need to fast.
Since I'm of childbearing age (no kids and not pregnant yet) and because Yom Kippur is coming up.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:31 am
amother Denim wrote:
Why am I the only woman I know fasting every fast?

IDK why you say that. I've been fasting every fast since I was 12, with a few exceptions based on health conditions. Most of my friends fasted every fast, though many can no longer do so due to health conditions.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:33 am
I fast all fasts when not pregnant or nursing. But I've been pregnant or nursing for 8 of the last 9 years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days