Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What do you use a food processor for?
1  2  Next

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:53 am
Posting this because I just saw the Braun food processor is on sale and now I'm wondering.

I have a food processor that I bring out twice a year (chanukah and shavous to pulverize graham crackers). I had a really good one that I gave away (a $400 one) because I never used it. I make potato kugel most weeks and for that, I grate the 5 lbs of potatos by hand with a safety grater and it gets the the exact texture I want. I don't make the Israeli type salads so I don't need to chop for that... I have immersion blenders for soups.

So what do you all use your food processor for?

SG18

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:56 am
Hummus and smoothies

essie14

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:59 am
Latkes on chanukah
To shred carrots for muffins
I've taken it out for other recipes occasionally

But I don't use it a whole lot. I never make potato kugel.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:06 am
I have mine 25 years. I am not sure I have used it 25 times.

I have used it for hummus 2x
I have made potato kugel maybe 1/2 dozen times.
Carrot muffin 2x
Zucchini bread 2x

It is cumbersome to take out of the pantry and a pain to wash. I have a $10 mini chopper and a box grater which don’t owe me a dime.

(Yet I want to buy a nice new shiny one for my DD)

ila

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:12 am
Chopped onion to many recipes at one time
Chumus every week
Potato kuguel
Meat balls for lemon soup and coisat (Sephardic food)
Blended soup
Salads
Sorbet
Blended frozen strawberries- as a juice

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:27 am
I mainly use it for potato kugel. A week doesn't go by where I don't use it a lot.
I also use it to shred veggies for other kugels, soups, Chummus, and even cake.
Once it's out, I will beat eggs with it.
I don't find it a pain to wash.
I wash the bowl and attachmemts immideately after putting the kugels in the oven.

hodeez

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:29 am
Potato kugel
Dill dip
Tomato dip
Breadcrumbs
Sorbet

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:40 am
watergirl wrote:
Posting this because I just saw the Braun food processor is on sale and now I'm wondering.

I have a food processor that I bring out twice a year (chanukah and shavous to pulverize graham crackers). I had a really good one that I gave away (a $400 one) because I never used it. I make potato kugel most weeks and for that, I grate the 5 lbs of potatos by hand with a safety grater and it gets the the exact texture I want. I don't make the Israeli type salads so I don't need to chop for that... I have immersion blenders for soups.

Can you please send a link of the sale?

1ofbillions

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:43 am
amother Daylily wrote:
Can you please send a link of the sale?

https://www.amazon.com/Braun-P.....ss_tl

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:43 am
amother Acacia wrote:
I mainly use it for potato kugel. A week doesn't go by where I don't use it a lot.
I also use it to shred veggies for other kugels, soups, Chummus, and even cake.
Once it's out, I will beat eggs with it.
I don't find it a pain to wash.
I wash the bowl and attachmemts immideately after putting the kugels in the oven.

You shred vegetables for soup?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:55 am
watergirl wrote:

My grandmother - she should live to 120 - would be really proud of you. She can't get over the fact that her granddaughters (myself included) use food processors for potato kugel (and latkes) and claims the taste is not the same. Vey is tzu her. After the holocaust, that first Pesach, she hand-grated 100 kilos of potatoes and fried all Pesach to feed her brother, uncle, and cousins - 5 hungry starving men.

In addition I use it like others have mentioned:
Strawberry sorbet
tomato dip
babaganoush
dill dip
chummus
bread crumbs
dough for my apple kugel, and to grate the apples (basically the whole business)
avocado dip

I can't even think, I'm sure I do more than that.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:58 am
1ofbillions wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Braun-P.....ss_tl

Thank you!

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 7:01 am
Hummus and sorbet, mostly. Occasionally for slicing or shredding veggies if I need to do a lot.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 7:02 am
Just putting it out there that the jewish stores all sell it for the “sale” price all year…

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 7:05 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
Just putting it out there that the jewish stores all sell it for the “sale” price all year…

I've seen it for $200 in most of the stores I've gone to.
Can you please share which stores sell it for this price?

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 7:08 am
I use mine at least once a week and before YT lots of times.

Potato kugel with the kugel blade every single week
Shred or chop vegetables for weekday vegetable soup
Shred vegetables for the filling of vegetable blintzes
Shred carrots for carrot salad or for carrot cake
Chop onions when prepping lots of sauteed onions
Chop up sorbet

I have a separate one for Pesach that I got with two additional attachments, the mixer and the lemon juicer. So we have lemon juice and I use it instead of a mixer. In addition, I use it to make chrein. And to slice the cucumbers for cucumber salad. My mother makes gefilte fish with hers.

I also have an immersion blender I use for dips. Since I make a small containerful at a time, I find it easier to stick the blender into the container. I also blend soups with an immersion blender.

I have a separate milchig blender for smoothies and iced coffees.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 7:22 am
How do you chop onions in the food processor? You get nice chunky pieces or thin shreds?

I use my food processor for potato kugel and dips often.

Sorbet every now and then.

Homemade energy balls/ bars.

Sometimes, for crumbs.

I don't often make shredded veggie soup, but when I do, I use the food processor

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 7:58 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
I use mine at least once a week and before YT lots of times.

Potato kugel with the kugel blade every single week
Shred or chop vegetables for weekday vegetable soup
Shred vegetables for the filling of vegetable blintzes
Shred carrots for carrot salad or for carrot cake
Chop onions when prepping lots of sauteed onions
Chop up sorbet

I have a separate one for Pesach that I got with two additional attachments, the mixer and the lemon juicer. So we have lemon juice and I use it instead of a mixer. In addition, I use it to make chrein. And to slice the cucumbers for cucumber salad. My mother makes gefilte fish with hers.

I also have an immersion blender I use for dips. Since I make a small containerful at a time, I find it easier to stick the blender into the container. I also blend soups with an immersion blender.

I have a separate milchig blender for smoothies and iced coffees.

Ok so this makes me think it's just a difference in culture and cuisine? I don't make any of these things. I sautee an onion maybe once a week, and even then only one, so it's nothing to chop by hand. I've never heard of shredding veg for soup or blintzes. I've never made or wanted to make sorbet.

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 8:01 am
Chayalle wrote:
My grandmother - she should live to 120 - would be really proud of you. She can't get over the fact that her granddaughters (myself included) use food processors for potato kugel (and latkes) and claims the taste is not the same. Vey is tzu her. After the holocaust, that first Pesach, she hand-grated 100 kilos of potatoes and fried all Pesach to feed her brother, uncle, and cousins - 5 hungry starving men.

In addition I use it like others have mentioned:
Strawberry sorbet
tomato dip
babaganoush
dill dip
chummus
bread crumbs
dough for my apple kugel, and to grate the apples (basically the whole business)
avocado dip

I can't even think, I'm sure I do more than that.

I really tried making the potato kugel in my machine a few times! Everyone tells me it's not the same as usual and no one wants it! I use it for latkes but it's a different process than how I do kugel. And to toot my own horn (which I never do), my kugel is known in a few cities and in Israel for being so good, so I'm keeping my safety grater Smile If my own bubbies or mother saw me doing it by hand, they would flip out and yell at me to use a machine. That was their way! I will say that I don't make potato kugel on pesach though, none of us can stand the taste of pesach oil. But the rest of the year, I do 5 lbs most weeks.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 8:03 am
Anyone have a good hummus recipe?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics