Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Two Names
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:33 am
What is the point of giving two names if you plan on only using one?
A name is "a word or set of words by which a person, animal, place, or thing is known, addressed, or referred to."
If your child will not be called by both names, what is the point?

(This is not in reference to any specific thread, just general curiosity)

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:35 am
I have the same question. And that's why we only name 1 name. Because most combos are a mouthful.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:38 am
Because my husband wanted to name after his grandmother and I dont love the name, so we gave it as a second name and we call her by the first name. My husbands side of the family calls her by both names

But if I were to not name after then I would just choose 1 name I like. Then I hear the question

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:46 am
So your child knows when they are in trouble.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:46 am
1. If you are naming after someone with two (or more) names. Need to name all but might only want to call by one.

2. Some people have a shita to name two names (not sue why but Ive heard multiples times).

3. Many are makpid to use a name from Tanach/or Lashon HaKodesh as one of the names. So if naming after someone who had only a Yiddish name, they would add one as well.

4. Etc, etc, etc…

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:06 am
Ok so this is probably one of the weirder reasons why but part of my reasoning is in case in the future someone wants to name their baby after one of my children but didn’t like their first name at least they have the middle name to choose from also. I like the idea of people being remembered by having descendent/relatives with part (or all) of their name.
We also have chosen not related names for our kids first names (because the names we liked most were not “family” names) and then their middle names are names of relatives (for the reason that I said- we tell our kids about who they are names after and a bit about that relative).

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:10 am
For a boy they will use it every time they are called up. If you are naming after someone it has significance. Its usually used occasionally if not all the time. My kids all know their second names and it's significance even if it's only used occasionally.
I would say the same thing about a nick name. If you are not going to use the real name why bother with it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:27 am
amother Molasses wrote:
For a boy they will use it every time they are called up. If you are naming after someone it has significance. Its usually used occasionally if not all the time. My kids all know their second names and it's significance even if it's only used occasionally.
I would say the same thing about a nick name. If you are not going to use the real name why bother with it.

I agree about nicknames.
To the comments about being named after someone: Is it really special to name after someone if you don't use the name?
How often will the boy be called up that it's significant enough to really be his name?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:48 am
My kids all have two names and they are very meaningful to us. they do usually go by one name each with their friends/ in school but we use their full names very often and family members use their full names at different times. both of their names are part of who they are and are meaningful. obviously when doing a misheberach/tehillim/tefillos, their whole name is used as well.
I don't give "English" names precisely because to me the child's name is so meaningful to me and is a part of them.

I do have relatives who have 2 names who hardly know or use their second names, but they are still a part of them and there is something meaningful about it.

What about people who give an english name or go by their english name- should they not have a hebrew name at all because whats the point if they dont get called by their name on a regular basis?

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:59 am
It also can make a difference when marrying someone. If your name is Sara and a girl’s name is Sara, it is an issue with your son marrying her. If you are Sara Avigail and she is Sara Batsheva, even if you both go by Sara, most will say problem averted.

Why not aspire to make life easier.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:22 pm
amother Gold wrote:

What about people who give an english name or go by their english name- should they not have a hebrew name at all because whats the point if they dont get called by their name on a regular basis?

Yes, in my opinion, if they aren't called by that name on a regular basis, it isn't their name and it's pointless.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:24 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
It also can make a difference when marrying someone. If your name is Sara and a girl’s name is Sara, it is an issue with your son marrying her. If you are Sara Avigail and she is Sara Batsheva, even if you both go by Sara, most will say problem averted.

Why not aspire to make life easier.

Is it an issue beyond their kids not being able to name after the grandmother, because it's their mother's name? I haven't found a source that it's actually a problem.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is the point of giving two names if you plan on only using one?
A name is "a word or set of words by which a person, animal, place, or thing is known, addressed, or referred to."
If your child will not be called by both names, what is the point?

(This is not in reference to any specific thread, just general curiosity)

We have one kid with two names. This kid was named due to the circumstances surrounding the pregnancy and labor and delivery. This kid doesn’t use the second name. It also happens to be the name of my mother in law’s parent, and she was very happy that we used the name. Iyh if we have a boy, he will have two names, because the person we would name after had two names. Why did we give two names if we didn’t plan to use one? Because the circumstances warranted it, and once we were using one name, it made sense to use the other.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it an issue beyond their kids not being able to name after the grandmother, because it's their mother's name? I haven't found a source that it's actually a problem.

Of course it can be an issue!

My father has the same name as my brother in laws deceased father. He had a boy and couldn't name after his father. He understood that when he married my sister, but I'm sure he was a little disappointed.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

I think part of the issue might be calling the spouse by the parent’s name. My sister had a friend, let’s say her name was Sara, who got engaged to a boy whose mother was Sara and was called Sara. As soon as they got engaged, the friend became known as Suri. I don’t know if there’s a source for it or not though.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:35 pm
Some name combinations are extra meaningful ex Yaakov Betzalel (he will follow in the shadow of H'), Ariyeh Tzion (Lion of Zion)

Or both names are very meaningful separately but flow well together like Chaya Bracha (which seems to be alluding to the concept of life as a blessing, or saying that her life (the girl named this) is a blessing). Chaya Gila (joyful life),

And sometimes one name is very meaningful but is either too old-fashioned or too unheard of and the parent is afraid the child would be embarassed, so they give a socially acceptable first name, and the name whose meaning they love as a middle name.

Also there is a significant population who are always called by both names.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, in my opinion, if they aren't called by that name on a regular basis, it isn't their name and it's pointless.

That can be your opinion but that doesn’t mean that’s the way it is. Religious Jews are given Jewish names, to be used for religious purposes.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:46 pm
I actually like the fact that I have two names.

The combination makes it less common, so instead of being a ‘*Leah’ like all others, I’m *Sarah Leah and people know who you are when you introduce yourself that way. At the same time I get to use my shorter version when I prefer to be less formal, less conspicuous etc.

*random name

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:49 pm
My kids all have two names. I like when someone has to name and I was a little specific to name you to my kids. A double name. What I did was, one of their names are named after somebody but the other name was a name that is meaningful to both me and my husband and has a beautiful meaning. You to my kids know why they were named their names and we do end up using both of their names more often than we thought we would.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 1:09 pm
When naming after someone it’s best to give the whole name. R’ Dovid Cohen of Flatbush holds this.
Also, I like giving my kids 2 names because it’s more unique. There’s probably like 5 “Yehuda”s in DS’s grade. He has the choice now if he wants to be called by his second name, or both. In my mind, it gives him more individuality.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names