Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Looking for a better idea this year

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:41 am
We have a longish thin Sukkah and the table runs the entire length of it. We can fit about 15 people (our family plus as many guests that fit BH) but we can only fit standard width folding tables.
We are Lubavitch so we don't need sleeping room but the women and kids do eat in the Sukkah.
There are 2 challenges with this set up.
1) only the few people close to the door of the Sukkah can comfortably get up and down through the meal.
2) there is very little room for serving platters
I cannot change the size or layout of the Sukkah but I would like for the servings, clearing etc to go more smoothly this year.
Last year my husband was all the way at the inside end, and I was near the door. It was a bit sad to be sitting so far apart at the meals, not sure if there is another choice though.
In terms of the platters of food, we do not have a space to make a buffet outside the Sukkah and the kitchen is quite a walk. I also can't see how kids and grown ups for that matter will carry their plates all the way, squeeze into their spot and not spill everywhere for each course.
Is there a way to make platters or serve meals more efficiently with these limitations?

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:03 pm
I would plate each course (in the kitchen or outside the sukkah) and serve everyone a plate of food, so no need for platters or people getting up for the buffet.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 12:07 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
I would plate each course (in the kitchen or outside the sukkah) and serve everyone a plate of food, so no need for platters or people getting up for the buffet.

I agree with plating food. Depending how casual or fancy you are, you can use the disposable plastic/styrofoam containers with lids if you would need to plate in the kitchen and have a shlep to the sukkah.

So just put out dips, salads, challah, drinks....and plate the hot stuff. To be honest, after so many yomim tovim and shabboses already in the first half of tishrei, I don't think anyone will feel underfed. (in case that's a concern)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 1:06 pm
I was thinking about plating but people like all different things and kids especially, dont like things they don't like on their plate. Do you mean serve everyone a bit of everything?
I usually make kid friendly food, things in pastry or with sweet sauces, vegetarian dishes, gluten free, sugar free and BH everyone has what to eat. We plated when it's just our family but with guests it gets more complicated. How do you do it? Do you ask each guest what they want to eat by describing each dish?
Also how to bring to the Sukkah, 2 plates at a time on a tray right?

In terms of salads, my salad bowls are big, what is a good idea for salad/serving bowls that don't take up much room?

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 1:16 pm
I would bring platters one at a time and ask everyone to serve themselves and pass the platter so it doesnt need to sit on the table.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics