Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Menu tonight for breaking fast
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:40 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
I don’t understand people eating heavy meals after a fast
It’s very not healthy

He won’t be eating all of this! He gets to pick from the food in the fridge and this is what’s in the fridge. It’s what I would do if I were fasting. Doesn’t strike me as ‘unhealthy’ (what’s healthy about fasting anyway?)

SuperWify

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:40 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
It’s very not healthy

Hey hugger.

It’s the faster’s choice. So if he wants heavy food, that’s what he’ll get. He fasted. He chooses.

Not sure why I have to walk on “eggshells” on this seemingly innocuous thread Punch

Farshteit?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:42 pm
I'm not the hugger but I can't fathom eating fleishigs after a fast. We're having vegetable soup and toast and maybe some leftover cake.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:43 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
He won’t be eating all of this! He gets to pick from the food in the fridge and this is what’s in the fridge. It’s what I would do if I were fasting. Doesn’t strike me as ‘unhealthy’ (what’s healthy about fasting anyway?)

Fasting occasionally is known to be healthy across the board.
That’s not the point. Most people don’t feel well after if they eat heavy foods following a fast
Best is juice and something light immediately after, then wait a bit and have more food of the light type.

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:46 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
That’s not the point. Most people don’t feel well after if they eat heavy foods following a fast
Best is juice and something light immediately after, then wait a bit and have more food of the light type.

Some people are great fasters. Why can't you live and let live instead of criticizing other people's food choices?

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:48 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:

This is hysterical. I don’t care for juice but I love how you’re telling me what to and what not to eat and drink after a fast. I’ll keep your wise words in mind after YK

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:51 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
This is hysterical. I don’t care for juice but I love how you’re telling me what to and what not to eat and drink after a fast. I’ll keep your wise words in mind after YK

I don’t remember telling you what to eat and drink
Read again

amother
Red

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:54 pm
Can someone please tell me why it is unhealthy across the board to eat heavy or meat after a fast.

Refeeding syndrome should not be an issue with a one day fast in an otherwise healthy person. Nobody here (I hope) is significantly malnourished.

(Is this where bubbe meises and a little bit of mis-information become gospel?)

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:55 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
I don’t remember telling you what to eat and drink
Read again

You’re right. But unless I’m
Married to a new 13 year old, my adult husband knows how he feels after a fast. He knows what the menu is and will
Work with it or work around it. Or he’ll ask for something else, which is doubtful but I suppose possible. So what’s ‘best’ for you may not be what’s ‘best’ for him or me or any of us responding as we did.

Moonlight

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:56 pm
Back to menu ideas, cuz somehow I'm not yet appetized....

mizle10

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 3:04 pm
Fabulous wrote:
It’s my bar mitzvah boy’s first fast and he wants pizza rolls! (The fried kind from the store)

I tried explaining how soup and roll and eggs are smarter but that’s what he wants. Dunno

My 12yo DD wants extra spicy chicken poppers Can't Believe It
So that's what I'm making LOL

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 3:09 pm
My 5 year old wants eggs and waffles, my 9 and 10 year old wants fleshig and I will be having Gefilte Fish with baked ziti.

mushkale

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 3:54 pm
scruffy wrote:
Homemade rolls, lentil soup, scrambled eggs

Looking for a good rolls recipe. Care to share?

bbhem5

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:58 pm
I'm making pareve vegetable soup and mashed potatoes.
My husband will eat that in addition to leftover chicken while my daughters will have cheese, eggs, or the like with their soup and potatoes.
My teen son will probably join my husband with fleishigs depending on how he feels.
I also hope to serve vegetable salad and fruit but we'll see what I get to.
My kids have very 'big eyes' after a taanis but they don't actually eat much.

Edited to add a simple quick onion roll recipe that I got from Imamother. I often make it after a taanis though I didn't today.

Onion Rolls from AMI - All Enjoyed - No rising of dough or sauteeing of onions required.

Dough:
2 cups warm water
4.5 tsp. dry yeast
6 Tbs. oil
2 tsp. salt
7 Tbs. sugar
6 cups flour

Filling:
1 large onion, finely diced
6 Tbs. oil (was too much; you can cut it to 4)
Yolk, for egg wash (I skipped this)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Toss onion with oil, set aside.
3) Combine all dough ingredients and knead until dough forms (I used a mixer). Divide dough in half. Cut each half into 12 pieces.
4) Roll out each individual piece of dough into a square or circle. Place 1 Tbs. of onion in the center Fold in the two ends. Add a little more onion on top (I did only one layer of onions because it didn't look like I had enough) and fold in the other two ends. Place seam side down on a lined baking pan. Repeat with remaining pieces and place all 12 rolls on the sheet. Repeat with second ball of dough.
5) Brush with beated egg yolk. Sprinkle the tops with additonal onions.
6) Bake for 35 minutes (I found the baking time to be spot on).

Yields 24 rolls

Before they went in the oven they looked kind of small, but they rose nicely (still ended up on the smaller side; I guess if you want larger you can cut the dough into 12 total pieces instead of 24) and were very soft.

Last edited by bbhem5 on Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:01 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
It’s very not healthy

I can’t, but there is a steak defrosting in my kitchen sink, so I’m thinking that’s going to be my husband’s meal tonight.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:05 pm
[quote="amother Red"]Left overs.[/quote
Me too
Too tired to cook

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:39 pm
noodles and cheese for my husband. not sure about me.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:39 pm
Multi grain bagels
tuna/lox
cut up vegies
vegetable soup

Good Friend

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:00 pm
Salmon
Pasta and cheese
Tomato soup
Fresh salad

scruffy

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:10 pm
mushkale wrote:
Looking for a good rolls recipe. Care to share?

It's the onion rolls from the Bais Yaakov Cookbook but I don't have the recipe handy atm. I'll see if I could look it up later.

The recipe has the onions as the topping but I fill them instead.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note