Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Need a raise!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:02 pm
I need a raise desperately, but unfortunately my office is not known to give more than 3% per year, which is bubkis.
Any idea how to approach my boss and get a raise that will actually make a difference? I would really like at least 5k but my dream is 10k.
For context, I have been at my job for almost 6 years, and my hourly wage only went up $4.50 (these are the 3% raises added up over 6 years)
I dont have the confidence to threaten to leave unless I get the raise I want because I am totally disposable, I can be replaced but a girl straight out of seminary in a heartbeat, but then again I feel like I deserve it and I've paid my dues to my company. I am in my 30s and it's a horrible feeling to think that at my age I am making so little, in a dead end job. Right now I cant afford to leave the job because I need the health insurance I am given, and there are certain conveniences about my job that I wont find anywhere else, like flex hours, 2 minutes from my house etc, frum, nice bosses etc
But then again, I am a good solid worker and get my job done well, maybe they dont want to worry about replacing me?? IDK!
Advice?!

mfb

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:09 pm
Maybe look around if there are any similar jobs available in your neighborhood.
Todays days new girls starting out are asking for at least $25 an hour (according to what I’m hearing) much much more than what people were getting a few short years ago. So your boss might not be able to find someone cheaper if you are getting less?

justforfun87

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:10 pm
From observations of threads like these and being in the professional world the only way to get a SIGNIFICANT bump is to find a new job. Just as much as you feel you are replaceable so are they. Businesses are scrambling for employees, it is now a good time to job transfer. Six years is enough time.

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:12 pm
I feel the same way.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:13 pm
mfb wrote:
Maybe look around if there are any similar jobs available in your neighborhood.
Todays days new girls starting out are asking for at least $25 an hour (according to what I’m hearing) much much more than what people were getting a few short years ago. So your boss might not be able to find someone cheaper if you are getting less?

Thanks, I dont live in NY or NJ and in my OOT community, my office is an anomoly that it is frum and chilled. There's nothing even remotely similar to what I have thats available. They can find a young girl who will do my job for $10 an hour less than what they're paying me (they started me off higher than the newbies because I came with experience, and they were desperate at the time).
As you can see, I'm kind of stuck!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:15 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
From observations of threads like these and being in the professional world the only way to get a SIGNIFICANT bump is to find a new job. Just as much as you feel you are replaceable so are they. Businesses are scrambling for employees, it is now a good time to job transfer. Six years is enough time.

While this is true, I really need the conveniences my job offers - and there aren't any other companies I can work for unless I work for a non jew- where I would likely get fired for not showing up when there are so many jewish holidays!!

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:16 pm
These benefits you keep mentioning you have at your job are going to cost you in the form of lower salary.

mfb

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:18 pm
Maybe see about a remote job? Like those living in Israel do?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:18 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
These benefits you keep mentioning you have at your job are going to cost you in the form of lower salary.

??
Do you mean if I take a job at a non jewish company that pays more, I'll lose out? By not getting paid for jewish holidays etc?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:20 pm
mfb wrote:
Maybe see about a remote job? Like those living in Israel do?

I need to look into this. I would love to have a backup option when I go into my boss, and threaten to leave if I dont get a 5k raise. It will give me more confidence to ask, and if he says no, I will be able to leave as promised.

Does anyone know of a remote job that pays more than 50k per year for 30 hours? I'd be happy to go into the tristate area to get trained and if needed a few times during the year. Any ideas would be so helpful, I cannot afford my life on my salary anymore!!

justforfun87

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 2:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
While this is true, I really need the conveniences my job offers - and there aren't any other companies I can work for unless I work for a non jew- where I would likely get fired for not showing up when there are so many jewish holidays!!

Millions of us work for non jewish employers, my SIL who isn't observant is constantly traveling the world with all her vacation time. Now is the perfect time to job search as we are in the thick of the Chaggim and once Oct ends you will be good for a solid while.

amother
Heather

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 3:18 pm
OP, what type of experience do you have?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 3:20 pm
amother Heather wrote:
OP, what type of experience do you have?

General AR, AP in nursing homes

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 3:28 pm
Where OOT do you happen to live? I work with a lot of SNFs in Chicago if you want to PM me if you live here too I can see if I can help you.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 3:48 pm
amother OP wrote:

You'd have to use your vacation days for the Yamim tovim. It's tough, but doable-- you'd have to decide if the trade off is worth it. Plenty of people do....we don't all work for frum companies.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 3:48 pm
I am a PT and have been getting the same hourly rate for a really long time. But I just don’t think these companies are paying more. It’s really frustrating!!

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:24 pm
Some of the big offices on Lakewood are allowing remote work. Maybe reach out to them.

jewishmommy1

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:31 pm
The key to making your case for a good raise is to show why you deserve it based on your work. Can you show how you've met requirements and deadlines, how you've exceeded expectations, how you are way more valuable to the business now than you were six years ago? That kind of objective proof is likely to get a much better response than "I really want a raise and I'll leave if you don't give it to me". (Of course, that assumes you are in a normal, functional workplace.)

But as others said above, the biggest salary bumps usually come with changing jobs. If you have unusually good benefits/perks, you'd need to decide how much $ they are worth to you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:32 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Where OOT do you happen to live? I work with a lot of SNFs in Chicago if you want to PM me if you live here too I can see if I can help you.

TYSM, I dont live in chicago Sad

I also heard that the frum nursing home companies in Chicago pay even worse than where I live, if that's even possible.

I really should look into working remotely for a NY or lakewood based company, where they pay much better. I do enjoy getting out every day and the social life I have from being in a big office but I need to go where the money is.

I was hoping to come here for the chizzuk with people telling me to ask for the raise, dont be shy, "go for it" etc, but no one really said that, sounds like my worries aren't unfounded, that they wont give it to me or they'll just replace me.
I wouldnt want them to say no and start looking for someone else, because they think im going to leave. I need to only get fired or leave if I have another job, not before.

jewishmommy1

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:35 pm
Of course you should ask for it!! But give yourself the best chance by coming up with convincing reasons why your work merits the raise.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics