Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Are YOU fasting
Previous  1  2

Are YOU fasting
Yes  
 38%  [ 65 ]
No-pregnant/nursing and Rav said not to this year  
 27%  [ 47 ]
No-I have a medical condition which precludes fasting -except for YK & 9Av  
 8%  [ 15 ]
Women don’t fast in my community  
 25%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 170

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:20 pm
It's hard to know how much is physical and how much is cultural.

I know Reform Jews who fast on Yom Kippur until midday and then eat because it's impossible to go a whole day without food. I think they genuinely cannot fast because they're not accustomed to it.

Millions of Muslim women fast every day for the month of Ramadan. You don't hear about them dropping dead or even overwhelming hospitals.

My family doctor has told me that if you are a healthy adult, with no other extenuating circumstances, you should be fine for a day without food or drink.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:28 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:

I know Reform Jews who fast on Yom Kippur until midday and then eat because it's impossible to go a whole day without food. I think they genuinely cannot fast because they're not accustomed to it.

Millions of Muslim women fast every day for the month of Ramadan. You don't hear about them dropping dead or even overwhelming hospitals.

My family doctor has told me that if you are a healthy adult, with no other extenuating circumstances, you should be fine for a day without food or drink.

Except for those of us who aren’t.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
For those not pregnant/nursing, do the same rules apply to your DH?
If he gets migraines or has an active job or needs to watch the kids, does the same rule apply?
Of course, why wouldnt the same rles apply? My husband did not feel good today. He ate and drank.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:31 pm

And many muslims get up before sun rise to eat a big meal. So the fasting is not the same at all like we are doing.
And yes, most people are fine without food or water for a day. But there are many who are just not. And thats ok too.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:41 pm
Fasting but in bed a lot.
Woke up very early and was still zonked from yomtov and sleepover guests…. Drove to 3 different schools
Came home and davened a little, put in a load of laundry and went back to bed.
Picked up kids and ran an errand… gave a light lunch to the non fasters and I’ve been back in bed for a few hours.
That’s the only way I can do it. My kids are mostly teens. My youngest is 10. I know it’s a big mitzvah to try and believe me I can use all the zechusim possible…
I’m about to get up because my grocery order arrived and I have to unload.
2.5 more hours but I think it will be very hard.

kiti

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:42 pm
I only fast tisha b'av and yom kippur

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 4:48 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
And many muslims get up before sun rise to eat a big meal. So the fasting is not the same at all like we are doing.
And yes, most people are fine without food or water for a day. But there are many who are just not. And thats ok too.

Nothing wrong with getting up before sunrise to eat before a fast (obviously except for TB and YK). I've done it many times, especially if I'm working that day. Just to clarify.
It's not that different from ramadan fasts really, we also are sunrise to sunset today--though in a way I think they have it harder because it's a month straight. At least we know tomorrow we are back to normal.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 7:52 pm

Ye, I had a cleaning lady who became a monster for a while, she was nervous angry and acted in-sane. I was wondering what happened to this otherwise normal person, until she told that she was fasting the last couple of days due to Ramadan.
So no, they don't do well fasting. They can become a nervous wreck. No need to make it seem that they can handle more than us Jewish woman.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 8:09 pm
I checked off that women don't fast in my community because nobody does. Tzom Gedalia is the first fast to drop because if you have a hard time fasting, or even if you're just not an ultra strong easy faster, what you're doing by fasting on Tzom Gedalia is weakening your body just in time for Yom Kippur when it's an actual mitzvah to fast.
My husband fasts all fasts, I fasted all fasts besides Tzom Gedalia and Taanis Esther (so that I should be able to fast well on Yom Kippur, and that I should be able to enjoy my Purim) until I had kids. Now I mostly only fast Yom Kippur and Tisha b'Av. I do ask before every fast though.
This year I'm pregnant and at high risk for preterm labor so I didn't fast on Tisha B'Av and am doing shiurim on YK.

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:01 pm
Which communities do women not fast?
I've never heard of that as a blanket rule, only when there's something medical/pregnant/nursing/other issue.

(Truly wondering, not judging)

Moonlight

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:08 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
Which communities do women not fast?
I've never heard of that as a blanket rule, only when there's something medical/pregnant/nursing/other issue.

(Truly wondering, not judging)

Chassidish

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 11:21 am
Yes, I fast the entire gamut of community-wide Jewish fasts (not BH"B). I identify as JPF but most imas would call me MO as my outlook is Torah uMadda. Wouldn't you know that yesterday of all days someone brought snacks to my Jewish Studies class ( in a secular college, not YU) to celebrate something? The professor and I may have been the only two people who even heard of Tzom Gedalia and I was obviously the only one observing. Just as well, I didn't need the extra calories.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 12:16 pm
I always fast unless pregnant or nursing. I happen to fast really well so its not difficult for me. My husband is a migraine sufferer but he usually manages to fast and I don't think he gets migraines on or after fast days more than regular days.

Yesterday I was not feeling too great but I drank and managed not to eat until after the fast. I also don't need the extra calories lol so I admit that was a motivation.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note