Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Sudden outbursts in usually very calm child

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 3:42 pm
Ds, 5, is generally a very well behaved, calm and obedient child. In the last few weeks he started having terrible outbursts when he’s upset or angry. He is never violent, but he can throw stuff down from the table, slap, kick, and yell some very not nice words that he would never say.

I try talking to him about it at a calm moment, and he knows it’s wrong. He always tells me he won’t do it again, but I don’t know how to teach him the right tools to overcome his tantrums.

Also, I can’t understand where this is coming from. Like I mentioned, he’s truly a well behaved child, pleasant to hang out with and was never like this.

If you have any advice or suggestions, please be so kind and share them. Tia!

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 3:44 pm
Check for strep.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 3:46 pm
Can definitely be a symptom of strep. I would also try to figure out if something upsetting happened to him.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 3:49 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
Can definitely be a symptom of strep. I would also try to figure out if something upsetting happened to him.

Like what? I don’t even know what to ask him, because when he’s calm and we discuss it he’s like, yes, I know, I was just really angry that brother took the toy I wanted, I’ll apologize …

amother
Black

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 5:08 pm
Is he hungry or tired?
I am a pretty calm person but if I am hungry or tired I can lose it very quickly and the smallest thing can make me angry

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 7:23 pm
amother Black wrote:
Is he hungry or tired?
I am a pretty calm person but if I am hungry or tired I can lose it very quickly and the smallest thing can make me angry

No. It happens when he is well fed and rested. Of course when he’s tired and hungry it’s worse, but this is just out of the blue.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 7:32 pm
Did it coincide with the start of the school year? There may be some sort of issue going on there that he's holding it together outside the home but has reached his limits when he's in your safe environment and everything is triggering him.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 7:34 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Did it coincide with the start of the school year? There may be some sort of issue going on there that he's holding it together outside the home but has reached his limits when he's in your safe environment and everything is triggering him.

It started in the middle of the summer. He seems to be adjusting very well to the new morah, and he looks very happy.

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 7:37 pm
This was our very first symptom of what was finally diagnosed as pandas
As you can see it's not your parenting

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 9:31 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
This was our very first symptom of what was finally diagnosed as pandas
As you can see it's not your parenting

He recently had a strep throat, do you think there’s a connection?

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 10:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
He recently had a strep throat, do you think there’s a connection?
Yes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers