Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Kids programs at shul

Machel

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 11:38 pm
I'm curious, does your shul have kids programming? My shul is relatively small and there are groups every week for Shabbos and on yom tov for ages 2 and up. Same with the shul my in laws go to, and the ones my friends go to.
I see all these posts about women who can't go to shul because they are home with their kids. A million percent not judging, everyone should do what works for them. I'm just curious.

rachelli66

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 12:56 am
I was just by a Shul That had a childrens program. It was so sweet! ages were from 2-6 and the older kids had from 7-11. It started at 9.30 so mom's could get out of the house. I loved how the woman davened and spoke with the little ones. In another area there is a Shul with a program that starts around 11.00am. I think these are great learning experience for the kids.

salt

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 1:22 am
Who leads the children's programs?

teachkids

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 2:21 am
My shul and my parents shul has unstructured babysitting but my kids are too young (need naps and more attention)and too shy for me to leave them there so I hire my own babysitter in the house

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 7:21 am
No such thing in Brooklyn that I know of. Would be nice though!

animeme

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 7:48 am
Many shuls don't physically have a place for them. Or don't have people to consistently lead them. Many families find it doesn't work for them- all you need is one kid who doesn't like it, for example, or groups that start at age 3 and a rambunctious 2 year old who runs everywhere and screams otherwise. There are women who find it too hard to get multiple kids ready in the morning and then walk them over.

mfb

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 8:06 am
No my shul doesn’t have.
No shul I went to ever had.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 8:18 am
Speaking as a former shul youth director at a number of shuls in various cities - kids programs are so important and helpful!

And also very much an entitlement of a shul with space... something shuls in NY/NJ communities do not have a lot of.

When you are part of a small community, shul life is EVERYTHING. I grew up not frum, but we went to shul every single shabbos and watched TV before and after. Jewish life was centered around shabbos at shul for everyone.

As I became an older teen, I was a group leader because that's what we did... it was the thing to do. Later, I was a youth professional and depending on the community, I had to hire and manage groups for infants through teens every shabbos (and more).

So for those who grew up having groups for kids, those mothers can not imagine not going to shul on shabbos. It's literally part of what we just DO.

Now that I am years past being a youth professional, I've moved on. Where I live now, some of the shuls in my community have groups, some don't. Picking a shul with groups was important to me though so when I went to shul, there would be something for the kids - and specifically for RH and YK. But I am not a weekly shul goer anymore and I now feel that shul is not the center anymore... which is sad honestly.

This is really very much cultural. For those of us with groups, we feel a mother belongs in shul with her kids... for those of us who never had this, it's not a big deal.

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:06 am
We have always had groups at shul.
I remember being in groups as a little kid (40 years ago), I was a group leader in HS (we all were-it was the cool thing to do) and my kids went to groups when they were small and were group leaders as well in the community we currently live.

The groups have 1 grownup director and the teens are the group leaders. You have 2-3 teens per group and the group is split based on how big the shul is, factoring both the amount of space/rooms and number of kids who come.
The teens daven with the kids-whatever is age appropriate, tell parsha stories and play games-both parsha games that they (or the director) make up or games like 7-up. The toddler room has toys and there is Mommy and me for the very little ones.

There is davening at teen minyan which starts at 8 and ends at 9:45 with a quick kiddush before groups which start at 10, so the teens absolutely daven, and it is really nice as it gives the boys all the opportunities to be gabbi, Baal tefilah, Lein, and to give the drasha. There is an adult who is in charge, but his goal is to be invisible and let the boys take the lead.

We also have and hold by an Eruv.
Shabbos for women in my community is wonderful for me. I can’t imagine being stuck at home and not having that sense of shul and community. But I am a social person and this is what I grew up with as well and am used to.

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:23 am
Our shul has Shabbos morning programs for different ages and babysitting for babies and toddlers. There are also programs for different ages on Shabbos afternoon. Children are welcome to stick around for mincha, seudah shelishit, and maariv, although they usually only do so during the part of the year when days are shorter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics