Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Help - 4 year old son has meltdowns when wet or dirty

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 3:37 pm
I'm at my wits end. My son has a phobia of being wet, things spilling, getting dirty and food falling on the table or floor. When his shirt gets a drop of water, he doesn't calm down until it is changed. It really affects his day to day life. Mealtimes are a big struggle. When he eats cereal with milk for breakfast, he has such a phobia of the milk dripping off the spoon that it prevents him from eating and Every spoonful is a fight. He needs to have a tissue available at all times and he is busy wiping the table every time it drips. He only eats with a lot of distraction. He won't eat fruit with peels because he is afraid he'll have a piece stuck between his teeth. Won't eat Bamba because his hands will be dirty etc... You get the gist. When he washes his hands, he will dry them for a long time to make sure they are completely dry.
He is missing out on so much!

The thing is, he does like touching sand, creams, and finger paints.
I don't know how to handle it. He probably needs therapy, but I don't know what kind.
I don't know whether I should go along with his meshugaassen and enable him or to be firm with him.
I don't know how to act when he has a meltdown.
All advice appreciated!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 3:45 pm
Have him evaluated by an occupational therapist. He may have sensory integration issues. The earlier these issues are dealt with, the more likely he can overcome them.
If the OT thinks the child needs further testing for ASD, follow through (and continue OT therapy as well).
Hatzlacha Rabba!

naomi2

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:10 pm
Is this a sensory issue or more like ocd?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 5:54 pm
It sounds a lot like ocd. Get him evaluated for pandas.

omega

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 10:51 pm
Exactly what I thought. He may have pandas. Does he have other symptoms? Sudden ocd symptoms are very often a sign of pandas. It may be simple like a sensory problem and ot would help. You would have noticed it when he was young though

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 11:28 pm
my 3.5 year old is like this, but not so extreme (yet). it's pandas. it's basically OCD and manifests in different ways too, not just cleanliness.

that is one route. the other route is OT as stated. but OT won't solve the root cause if it is indeed caused by brain inflammation ie pandas

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 11:30 pm
This post is from september why is it being bumped up now?

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 11:31 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
This post is from september why is it being bumped up now?

lol no idea I just responded to whatever was most recent. it looks like a new user above me bumped it.

omega

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 11:37 pm
Hi im a new user and I'm still learning how to navigate this forum. My mistake. It was a old question
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)