Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Things you wish were kosher
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:01 am
I really dont get this thread. Its about things that are TREIF, not things that you dont eat because of your family mesora or minhag but are actually kosher.
The 2nd or 3rd response was hershey's kisses. I mean, that is literally kosher. You may not eat it, but it has an OU on it.

Ladies, something treif is not the same at all to something that is not chalav yisrael.

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:08 am
I think a lot of people are using the term "kosher" very loosely, as in "food you wish you could eat," not just food that you wish wasn't actually treif.

(ETA I wish I could have soft matzah on Pesach... of course it's not treif, but my quarter Sefardic roots aren't enough to make me eligible.)

SG18

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:20 am
Raisin wrote:
may as well not be as far as I am concerned. But happy for you guys that you get to eat all that stuff! I have never had it so I can't miss it.

Do you eat the back half of the animal? Its not our mesora to eat but some people (maybe sefardim?) eat it. But not sure if you can even buy kosher meat from the back half of the animal. SO its kosher but just not available/allowed to most of us.

I do miss being able to get good ice cream where I live. Almost anything else can be bought in a suitcase but not ice cream. Great vegan ice cream but would love decent dairy ice cream. And yes I have an ice cream machine.

As for me its those weird hard or impossible to check veggies that I want. Brussles sprouts, artichokes, broccolli...

Weirdly I can get kosher skittles and starburst but they are gross. I love candy but do not like the flavours or texture.

bh we live in a time when so much amazing food is available. Fruit, veggies, international foods. Even a person keeping chalav yisrael and mehadrin hechsherim has a wider variety of food available to them than a non Jew 100 years ago.

Sirloin and flank are from the back half and everyone eats it.
US Kashrut won't give the back fifth a hechsher because of the gid hanasheh. They decided it's too hard to separate the parts we eat and the parts we shouldn't, because it could take a lot of time to separate it from the rest of the cow.
But it's kosher. We just don't eat the gid hanasheh.
Here in Israel, they know how to do it, and they do.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:23 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I really dont get this thread. Its about things that are TREIF, not things that you dont eat because of your family mesora or minhag but are actually kosher.
The 2nd or 3rd response was hershey's kisses. I mean, that is literally kosher. You may not eat it, but it has an OU on it.

Ladies, something treif is not the same at all to something that is not chalav yisrael.

Some people consider cholov stam as not kosher. It is a very big debate why and when it’s allowed to be eaten.

And to the other poster cholov yisrael is not a chumrah.

SG18

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 2:42 am
amother Blush wrote:
Some people consider cholov stam as not kosher. It is a very big debate why and when it’s allowed to be eaten.

It is a chumrah. It's a minhag not to eat it.
Growing up, my family didn't eat Chalav Stam, so I definitely get that it's a thing. But it was a minhag they accepted upon themselves.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 3:22 am
SG18 wrote:
Growing up, my family didn't eat Chalav Stam, so I definitely get that it's a thing. But it was a minhag they accepted upon themselves.

No. Eating chalav stam is a leniency allowed by R Moshe in certain circumstances. Many people do not hold by this leniency and thus consider chalav stam to be the same as chalav akum.

That said, I don’t spend a lot of time wishing I could eat non kosher food. But when I do- I am usually in the mall, airport, or Disney World and I’m starving. The kosher food at Disney is not really edible.

amother
DarkRed

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 3:26 am
amother Winterberry wrote:
It's affordable and accessible because it's garbage. It makes you feel queasy after. Some things aren't worth the price.
Even non Jews buy kosher meat, because the quality is so much better.
Teach your husband to cook- it's free 😉

BT here. Never felt queasy after fast food. And never ever heard of non-Jews buying kosher meat because of the quality. What about kosher meat makes it better quality?

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 3:41 am
SG18 wrote:

No its a leniency.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 3:43 am
SG18 wrote:
Sirloin and flank are from the back half and everyone eats it.
US Kashrut won't give the back fifth a hechsher because of the gid hanasheh. They decided it's too hard to separate the parts we eat and the parts we shouldn't, because it could take a lot of time to separate it from the rest of the cow.
But it's kosher. We just don't eat the gid hanasheh.
Here in Israel, they know how to do it, and they do.

I don't know any ashkenazim in Israel who eat flank or sirloin.

Places like lechem basar even has warnings by the things that are the back of the cow so those who don't eat it can avoid it.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:32 am
Rappel wrote:
I really want to try rabbit.

Camel dairy.

And alligator tail, but only once.

Alligator really does taste similar to chicken TMI

I wasn't interested in rabbit (rabbit feel like rodents to me)

I imagine camel dairy to be similar to goat.

Snail just takes on the taste of all the garlic and butter it's cooked in.

I miss real seafood! Mussels in wine sauce. Lobster with butter. Shrimp.

Also I'd like meat and dairy to be a kosher combination. Then I'd make all those creamy dishes I see in Pinterest.

Tater tot casserole!

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:45 am
heidi wrote:
So half of the Jewish world is indeed sefardi.
Also, fillet mignon is kosher for everyone as long as nikkur is done properly. Many mehadrin restaurants in Israel carry it. It is very delicious.
Frozen brocolli, brussels sprouts etc all come with a hechsher.
It's really weird the chumras people put on themselves when all the reputable kashrut agencies are saying it's fine.
I would love to try bacon.
Don't think that's becoming kosher anytime soon, no matter what kashrut certification you hold by

Right but I have never seen fillet mignon in any kosher butchers in Uk, Europe or the USA. Not just chariedi hashgachot, and there are plenty of sefardim outside of Israel.

I love fresh veggies, frozen is also great but just not the same. Also, I have never seen brussles sprouts with a hechsher. And artichokes.

Yes I would also love to try bacon! I have bought facon but its not great and I suspect not the same at all.

singleagain

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:47 am
Raisin wrote:
Also, I have never seen brussles sprouts with a hechsher. And artichokes.

In my kosher grocery store, we sell pardas, brussel sprouts and galil artichoke bottoms... Both frozen

amother
Red

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:52 am
imasinger wrote:
More fish choices from Costco. The salmon and tilapia are great, and I'd love to try the other (non seafood) kinds.

Good cheeses that don't cost a fortune.

Trader Joe's dried cherries -- they used to have hechsher, and are now just a K.

And while we're at it, KLP coconut aminos, from Trader Joe's, or anywhere else.

Ramen soups that aren't as unhealthy (full of fat) as the kosher variants.

And, since this is a place to whine, I'll add that I miss Ben & Jerry's, even though I'm totally standing my ground and not supporting them

Gefen makes gluten free brown rice instant soup with no msg

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:53 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

The reason why I am not eating hersheys kisses is because of kosher rules not because I am vegan or only eat fairtrade chocolate. So yes, it is about kosher. You might follow the heter to eat chalav stam but plenty of people don't. Its not minhag - not/eating rice on pesach is minhag, eating chalav yisrael is halacha.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:54 am
singleagain wrote:
In my kosher grocery store, we sell pardas, brussel sprouts and galil artichoke bottoms... Both frozen

admittedly I do live in the middle of nowhere. Very Happy

amother
Red

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:55 am
theoneandonly wrote:
Chalav yisroel cheese curls that actually taste good and not just like salt!

Kosher food trucks. Any kind I just love the concept.

The Israeli cheeto puffs are really good!! Just not always available in NY

ohmygosh

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:57 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I don't eat chalav stam but I agree with this 100%. It's ridiculous to compare chalav stam to something thats not kosher.
To the poster that said that some people view chalav stam as not kosher... I'm sorry but that's a twisted view on Judaism.

amother
Offwhite

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 4:58 am
I would love to try a cheese burger - tried with fake cheese and was meh- but I think fake cheese is meh in general

Lobster, mussels, scallops, shrimp - but the fake stuff just all tastes like white fish to me

Call me crazy but I would love to go hunting and then cook my food on the spot.
Kind of like we do with fishing

maybe I am watching to much my self reliance lol

As for why so many of us grew up eating Cholev Stam and stopped, at some point a new Sheila came up with how they started treating the cows and many people who previously held by Rav Moshe's Heter stopped eating CS. because of this issue. there are plenty of people who hold that CS is still ok- just explains why so many people grew up with it and stopped.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 5:01 am
amother Blush wrote:

Yes it is.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 5:03 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
BT here. Never felt queasy after fast food. And never ever heard of non-Jews buying kosher meat because of the quality. What about kosher meat makes it better quality?

She might mean hot dogs.
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen