Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Why is baby is scared after fall?

micki

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 10:58 pm
ok so my baby fell out of the high chair today- no don't yell at me I already did. so did hubby sister mailman kids even the little lady around the corner.

point is that my fearless baby who loved being thrown in the air, loved being played with, loved jumping on my lap has become a cling.
and she is petfrified!
a few hours after she fell my sis was holding her on her knees and she yells from fear!
I tried throwing her in air and she screamed!I transfered her from one arm to the other and she was petrified! she got that scared look and yelled!
what happened? could she possibly have remembered the fall and is traumatised by it?
I've had babies fall before- no no don't call any child abuse center- it happens- and they just picked up where they left off.
why is she acting this way?
should I call her therapist? Wink

no but really why is this happening?

red sea

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 11:03 pm
Seems like a smart baby with a real good memory. I'd try not to scare her and be extra gentle until she forgets the incident on her own time. With a memory like that I'd be a little worried to keep scarring her and ingraining a fear.

stem

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 11:13 pm
I agree. It shows that she is smart and notices and remembers things that happen to her and around her. Try to be extra careful to make her feel secure. She'll be back to herself soon, I"H!

Ahuva

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 11:14 pm
maybe she is sore somewhere from the fall?

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 8:23 am
Poor girl. My baby also fell out of the high chair at that age. I agree with the others - be extra gentle for awhile and she will soon be back to her old self.

raizy

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 1:00 pm
maybe she broke a hand or feet. and u dont relize it.

my baby broke her foot in daycare when she was one years old. she just screamed for one whole day till I relized at night that her foot hurts when someone touched it...

smily

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 1:53 pm
I think it is great if she has a good memory and is scared but what if she C"V has an injury? If your child is acting out then I would highly suggest you talk to the Pediatrician, better safe then sorry. It happens that children fall don't be afraid to call.Hatzlacha

buba123

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 1:59 pm
I think it's normal - kind of like after you narrowly miss another car, press on your brakes and you're shaking and white for the next few hours.. Make sure she didn't break or dislocate anything - you'd probably have noticed by now.

My dd fell down the steps a month ago - (11 months old) carpeted, around 5 stairs - forgot to lock gate... till today she remembers. My dh showed me - we stood by the steps and gate was open yet she didn't move even though we called her name. Baruch Hashem they have a good memory for these thing - helps protect them.

micki

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 2:19 pm
B"H I know she is not hurt- she sort of landed on my daughters shoe.
plus the high chair was on the low setting.
plus she is crawling and laughing all day.
I have not tried throwing her in the air to see if she still remembers- I'd rather do as suggested and wait one more day.

so I'l let you know!

Tefila

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 4:12 pm
micki it's possible she's hurt though hopefully not one more day sounds fine. And yes sometimes they get hurt from silly things Confused

JEWISHMAMA

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 4:32 am
children are always falling over or bumping into things and yes the do remember and it does scare them sometimes but as long as you make them feel safe the usually get over it.
My daughter was knocked over by a wave at the beach and fell in the water, she was ok but she wouldn´t go near the water for weeks. After a while I picked her up and showed her that the water is ok. Slowly she got use to it again and now I can´t get her out of the water! By the way she was only two at the time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics