Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School Bus Problems

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 9:18 pm
I need to get some opinions and advice here. My son is 5, he takes the bus to and from school every day, this is his second year taking it. The bus this year is extremely dysfunctional, there are random bus Morahs and bus Rebbis, sometimes there isn't one at all and it's just the driver. I spoke to the school and they said they're going to work on having someone consistent, there was a Morah the last couple days but I don't think she was very capable and chaos reigned. Every day my son comes home with a story about the crazy things happening in the bus, a kid threw his craft out the window, someone else took his water bottle and emptied it onto the floor, they're climbing over seats, it's madness. My son isn't an angel, I'm sure he's involved in a fair share of the chaos, he told me he threw his snack out the window one day also. He's also learning all these inappropriate songs and weird, not tznius things from other kids.

I'm trying to figure out how to best approach this. One the one hand, this is a Chinuch opportunity to talk about doing the right thing even when other people are not, but on the other hand, he's 5, that's really unrealistic for him. I'm very very uncomfortable with the things he's learning on the bus and then saying at home. Yes I know this is what happens when you send your kid to school and it's bound to happen eventually, but he's not learning this from his classmates and if it weren't for the bus, I'd have a couple more years before having to address this. I want to just pick him up, which is insane for my schedule but I feel like if this 45 min bus ride is literally undoing all the Chinuch he gets at home and in the classroom, maybe it's a worthy trade off?
At the same time, can I really change my entire schedule because of a chaotic bus ride? And am I wasting an opportunity to educate him and empower him to get through these situations that will continue to arise throughout his schooling?

I'd love to hear any insight that may help clarify things for me. Thank you!

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 9:30 pm
Carpool?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 9:32 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
Carpool?

That's not an option, everyone here takes the bus unless they live right next to the school and just walk.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 9:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
That's not an option, everyone here takes the bus unless they live right next to the school and just walk.

Well since you mentioned you were thinking of picking him up yourself....maybe there are other moms who would join in if there was one arranged. 45 min is a long commute for a 5 year old.....

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 9:40 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
Well since you mentioned you were thinking of picking him up yourself....maybe there are other moms who would join in if there was one arranged. 45 min is a long commute for a 5 year old.....

I don't know of anyone who would consider it. Even I feel like picking him up is a bit extreme. I just don't know what else to do. The other mothers don't seem concerned about the chaos on the bus, they are fine just letting it go

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:46 pm
Bump. Any advice would be helpful

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:52 pm
If the school doesn't take action I'd take my kid off the bus. My child's chinuch is worth it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics