Home

PSA Honey
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:27 pm
the honey sold in stores has high fructose corn syrup and they don’t need to label it.
That’s why honey with challa is so addictive.
Try to buy raw honey
Back to top

groovy1224




 
 
 
 

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:32 pm
Challah and honey is addictive because it's delicious.

What brand adds high fructose corn syrup to their honey? This doesn't sound accurate to me.
Back to top

amother




Chicory
 

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
the honey sold in stores has high fructose corn syrup and they don’t need to label it.
That’s why honey with challa is so addictive.
Try to buy raw honey


Have you verified which brands? Because gefen and liebers do not. I verified.
Back to top

amother




Hibiscus
 

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:37 pm
In the US, that it inaccurate. The FDA updated the labelling requirements for honey in 2014, and if there is anything other than honey in it, it must be identified on the label, and cannot just be called honey.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:44 pm
Canada there’s fake honey everywhere. The fda is different there maybe but in the US honey also goes thru a process using corn syrup not sure exactly how it works but it might not be 100 percent pure as you all might think. No specific company comes to mind it’s just the system how they produce honey in general. They don’t give over all the facts honestly. Just letting ppl know to make wise choices.
Back to top

amother




Crocus
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:10 am
I always buy honeycomb for RH, but we eat honey on challah year round. I don’t find it particularly addictive though.
Back to top

amother




Hibiscus
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:13 am
amother OP wrote:
Canada there’s fake honey everywhere. The fda is different there maybe but in the US honey also goes thru a process using corn syrup not sure exactly how it works but it might not be 100 percent pure as you all might think. No specific company comes to mind it’s just the system how they produce honey in general. They don’t give over all the facts honestly. Just letting ppl know to make wise choices.


If that is the case in the US, then what they are doing is illegal. It's hard to believe that illegal honey processing is a widespread occurrence on the US. Do you have any proof of this?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:44 am
Lol it’s on the bottom of the list of things being done illegally. It says if honey changes hands like twice or three times then corn syrup doesn’t have to be announced. There’s ways to get around it and unfortunately people and the government take advantage
Back to top

amother




DarkKhaki
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:50 am
Speak to the people in hashgacha. They would know exactly what is in the honey or it wouldn’t have a hechsher.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:13 am
Not sure where you're getting this. For what it's worth, honey is almost always labeled kosher for Pesach. - which Ashkenazim don't do if it has corn syrup. It sounds like you're repeating something you heard but haven't verified.
Back to top

amother




Ruby
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:14 am
amother Crocus wrote:
I always buy honeycomb for RH, but we eat honey on challah year round. I don’t find it particularly addictive though.


I don’t either. Don’t like honey at all.
Back to top

amother




Lime
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:14 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Not sure where you're getting this. For what it's worth, honey is almost always labeled kosher for Pesach. - which Ashkenazim don't do if it has corn syrup. It sounds like you're repeating something you heard but haven't verified.

It is well known that much olive oil is counterfeit, mixed with other oils that are likely kitnios, but they generally also get labeled kosher for Pesach.
Back to top

amother




DarkKhaki
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 2:25 am
amother Lime wrote:
It is well known that much olive oil is counterfeit, mixed with other oils that are likely kitnios, but they generally also get labeled kosher for Pesach.


Absolutely not true. Not all olive oils are labeled Kfp.
Back to top

amother




Lime
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 2:48 am
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
Absolutely not true. Not all olive oils are labeled Kfp.

OU: "All extra virgin olive oils are Kosher for Passover, as long as it bears the OU symbol." https://oukosher.org/passover/.....-oil/

CRC: "100% pure extra virgin olive oil does not need a hechsher, including Pesach" https://askcrc.org/item/Passover/1866

(Sorry, should have clarified extra-virgin. Most extra-virgin olive oils are potentially counterfeit.)
Back to top

amother




Hibiscus
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 6:59 am
amother OP wrote:
Lol it’s on the bottom of the list of things being done illegally. It says if honey changes hands like twice or three times then corn syrup doesn’t have to be announced. There’s ways to get around it and unfortunately people and the government take advantage


What do you mean "it says"? Who is saying this?
Back to top

shabbatiscoming




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 7:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Canada there’s fake honey everywhere. The fda is different there maybe but in the US honey also goes thru a process using corn syrup not sure exactly how it works but it might not be 100 percent pure as you all might think. No specific company comes to mind it’s just the system how they produce honey in general. They don’t give over all the facts honestly. Just letting ppl know to make wise choices.
Who is THEY and where did you get your information in your OP from?
Back to top

amother




Hibiscus
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 7:25 am
[quote="amother OP"]Lol it’s on the bottom of the list of things being done illegally. It says if honey changes hands like twice or three times then corn syrup doesn’t have to be announced. There’s ways to get around it and unfortunately people and the government take advantage[/quote]

To be clear, the US government does not allow for any way around the labelling requirements, not matter how many times honey changes hands. There is no way around it. I'm really not understanding how this is happening as you claim.
Back to top

amother




Papayawhip
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:16 am
What I've heard (and choose to ignore and remain in denial lol) is that at some point they bees are interacting with corn syrup mixed in with the honey and so it's really at the beginning of the process and therefore not labeled I'm not familiar with honey process so I'm not sure exactly and I do hope this isnt true but that's what I've heard...
Back to top

amother




Papayawhip
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:17 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
What I've heard (and choose to ignore and remain in denial lol) is that at some point they bees are interacting with corn syrup mixed in with the honey and so it's really at the beginning of the process and therefore not labeled I'm not familiar with honey process so I'm not sure exactly and I do hope this isnt true but that's what I've heard...


If anyone here has a relative in Kashrut and knows more, please enlighten us! (Or maybe don't LOL Banging head )
Back to top

amother




Lemon
 

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:24 am
It’s important to know if this is really the case , for those that have an allergy to corn. My sister had a severe allergy to corn when I was growing up and couldn’t have anything with corn syrup . I would be surprised if I’m the US it wouldn’t need to be disclosed that it has traces of corn, if the honey really does have corn syrup.
Back to top
Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos

Related Topics Replies Last Post
S/o PSA honey-I called Hashgacha-there IS corn syrup in some
by amother
18 Sat, Oct 15 2022, 9:40 pm View last post
Drunken Honey-Pomegranate Cake 0 Sun, Sep 25 2022, 12:21 pm View last post
ISO egg and nut free honey cake recipe 7 Sat, Sep 24 2022, 10:28 pm View last post
Honey-Apple Bread Pudding 0 Fri, Sep 23 2022, 10:20 am View last post
Substitute for apple in honey
by amother
7 Thu, Sep 22 2022, 3:38 pm View last post