Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Plane and toddler
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 10:38 pm
IyH flying for sukkos. Flight is aprx 5+ hours, and takes place evening/night time. When I’ve flown with babies/hound toddlers I’ve brought car seats on the plane and had them sleep in it. It’s a schlep through the airport but we need the car seat anyway when we get to our destination. This trip, however, I have a 3 year old and it’s an awkward stage plane seat wise. I would bring the car seat on the plane but it’s annoying and I rather check it in. How can I get my 3 year old to sleep on the plane though? This child has always been in a car seat on flights and has slept that way.
Ideas? Or should I just bring the car seat on?

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:11 pm
Can't a 3-year-old sleep in the airline seat without a carseat?

Can you arrange to borrow a carseat at your destination?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:12 pm
He’s never done it and I can’t imagine him falling asleep sitting up.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:24 am
amother OP wrote:
He’s never done it and I can’t imagine him falling asleep sitting up.

Then you have to ur answer

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:34 am
I’m asking for tips and tricks, and if it’s age appropriate to not use a car seat I’ll push him

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:34 am
Take the car seat

redheaded

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:35 am
Tips, do what you are certain will work.
Ain’t worth failing

Oldest

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 6:39 am
With my 3 year old, once we are on the air I have him lay down on my lap and spead out like that. He usually falls asleep that way.

You can also buy something like this https://www.amazon.com/Sunany-.....ydWU= and create a bed

esther7

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 7:44 am
[quote="Oldest"]With my 3 year old, once we are on the air I have him lay down on my lap and spead out like that. He usually falls asleep that way.

This has been my experience also

mommyhood

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 7:48 am
Oldest wrote:
With my 3 year old, once we are on the air I have him lay down on my lap and spead out like that. He usually falls asleep that way.

You can also buy something like this https://www.amazon.com/Sunany-.....ydWU= and create a bed

The problem with these is you usually can’t use them during takeoff and landing/when the seat belt sign is on. For a 5 hour flight that’s a big chunk of the time.
Do you have a window seat? I would bring a full size pillow and put it against the wall/window. Keep the armrest up between whoever is sitting next to them and they can sort of lay that way.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 7:53 am
I have a lap infant so I can’t rely on my lap. I was going to maybe use those seat extender pillow things, do you think I shouldn’t? Even If I can’t use during takeoff and landing?
Not sure what our seat is we got the cheapest so no seat selection

Oldest

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:34 am
amother OP wrote:
I have a lap infant so I can’t rely on my lap. I was going to maybe use those seat extender pillow things, do you think I shouldn’t? Even If I can’t use during takeoff and landing?

Are you flying alone or with your husband? Dh and I usually "split" the kids on flights. (I have a lap infant and toddler too) He will usually take the baby and I'll have the toddler- but do whatever works for you

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:37 am
I would definitely bring the car seat especially if you have a lap child this way you don’t have to worry about the other child roaming either.

If you have the car seat you will get a window seat cause that it where it legally needs to be.

And yes it’s age appropriate.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:56 am
amother OP wrote:

Did you book via travel agent? If yes please inform agent that your want to sit together. If booked by yourself via internet and no seat selection done try to get in touch with customer service asap.

simcha2

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 9:01 am
At that age I always did the car seat. They can open the airline buckle too easily, and I don't like the idea that they can get up and out if I sleep at all. I want them strapped in.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 9:10 am
Thanks all. Answering all the questions at once.
Between DH and I one of us needs to be free as we BH have a few kids including this toddler and baby. We booked it online ourselves and customer service in general doesn’t do anything and we have to wait to ask the agent at the gate. We usually we end up being split up but near each other and we split the kids. It’s very annoying to schlep a car seat through the airport together with the double stroller, possible car seat for baby if at the gate they tell us they have an extra seat, diaper bag, carry ones, etc. plus kids:)

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 9:21 am
Bring a car seat & wheel it through the airport attached to a stroller , siiting on the stroller seat attached with a luggage strap. Baby can be sitting in the carseat the entire time. It worked really well for us.

I never check in carseats except gate check. They are considered oversized & if the airport is understaffed you can wait a very long time to receive it. Also the sometimes throw them & you never know if there was internal damage.

Keep in mind you must have a window seat to be able to use a carseat. If you will be divided up what are the chances you'll get one?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 9:24 am
Also, I don't do carry-ons when traveling with kids, it just makes it all so much harder. Rather pay for check in luggage & bring a couple of backpacks with your stuff & of course a baby carrier.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 9:41 am
Well we have some things that we don’t like checking in like tefillin, sheitels, etc. Backpack will be too full for those stuff.

Oldest

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:30 am
1) Like someone said, don't bring any carry on luggage, I.e. wheelies. Each person should have a backpack with whatever they need for the flight. Jewelry and tefillin etc can be distributed among the backpacks

2)re the sheitels, I used to shlep my shaitel through the airport too. I had enough and I now pack it in my checked in luggage and haven't had any issues. If you are really not comfortable with that, you can minimize. space by putting the shaitel in a ziploc bag, it will travel fine like that and should hold the setting that way. The only thing I would not put in luggage is tefillin because it is very sensitive to changes of temperature.

3)When you get to the gate, go right away to have them change your seats so you are all together. The sooner you go, the better chances you have of sitting together.

4)you mentioned that you have older children as well. Can one of them sit next to the toddler if needed and have the toddler sleep on them if you don't want to bring the carseat?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics