Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
For those who change their linens weekly - Poll Added!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

How often do you change your linens, and who does it?
Once a week - on my own  
 5%  [ 12 ]
Once a week - my cleaning help  
 19%  [ 40 ]
Once a week - my husband/someone else  
 0%  [ 2 ]
Every other week - on my own  
 14%  [ 29 ]
Every other week - my cleaning help  
 19%  [ 39 ]
Every other week - my husband/someone else  
 1%  [ 4 ]
Once a month  
 15%  [ 31 ]
Whenever I get to it...  
 23%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 204

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:01 pm
nicole81 wrote:
We go through 20-40 washcloths a day and do a load at least 4 times a week. I don't understand what's so difficult. We have a small pail in each bathroom. It takes 5 min to collect them and throw into our machine. Two min to throw them into the dryer, and about 8 min to fold and put away. My husband puts it up half the time before leaving the house in the morning. It's funny when I get alerts during the days from my Samsung app that the washer is finished, I know there's less to do when I get home 😁

But then again, I don't understand what's so hard about doing the beds either. Doesn't take much time when you teach your kids to do it themselves. If a mother is doing ten beds herself, there's something wrong imo.

lol hakavod. But you know many people don’t have laundry in their home, right. So for these people (me!) it’s not just 5 minutes.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:02 pm
I do the linens every Friday.
But we’re just 4 beds.
2 adults, 8 and 4 year olds.
Strip beds before work, they’re back on beds while I vacuum bedrooms for Shabbos.
Winter Fridays are a squeeze, but I learn to move quick.

Friday night, fresh linen, nothing better!

nicole81

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:24 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
lol hakavod. But you know many people don’t have laundry in their home, right. So for these people (me!) it’s not just 5 minutes.

True, I'm definitely thinking about people with laundry in their homes! When I had to fill up the laundry cart and wheel to the laundromat, my sheets were fiiiiine for way longer than normal🤣 it was also when everyone used the same hand towel for a week🤢

But if I still had to do that, I'd probably buy a couple of hundred bulk cheap washcloths or however many I needed to get me through how long I went between washes and then bring a giant bag full of them to the laundromat. But I get grossed out re hand towels. I'd totally still let the sheets slide. Pillowcases are easier to strip more often.

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:27 pm
nicole81 wrote:
We go through 20-40 washcloths a day and do a load at least 4 times a week. I don't understand what's so difficult. We have a small pail in each bathroom. It takes 5 min to collect them and throw into our machine. Two min to throw them into the dryer, and about 8 min to fold and put away. My husband puts it up half the time before leaving the house in the morning. It's funny when I get alerts during the days from my Samsung app that the washer is finished, I know there's less to do when I get home 😁

But then again, I don't understand what's so hard about doing the beds either. Doesn't take much time when you teach your kids to do it themselves. If a mother is doing ten beds herself, there's something wrong imo.

20-40 a day! No thank you. I'll get some more germs from my kids rather than do more laundry. I already do a measly 6 loads a week.

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:37 pm
Anyone else took the reminder and washed linen today?
Yes I plan to cuz of this Very Happy

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:43 pm
I change the linen every 3-4 weeks. It's a pain in the neck so my husband and I split it up. He removes the dirty and I put on new or vice versa. We both work full time and have cleaning help for 3 hrs a week for things like mopping, sweeping and cleaning the bathrooms.

I love it when people say "it only takes 2 min" or "5 min" or "10 min" so it's no big deal. Idk about everyone else but I walk in the door at 4 pm and dinner needs to be done. It "only takes 15 min". And then homework also "only takes 20 min". And then setting the table "only takes 3 min". And then cleaning up from dinner "only takes 5 min" and then a load or 2 of laundry "only takes 5 min" and then switching the load "only takes 5 min" and then "only another 3 min" for spraying stains, setting up bucket to soak, etc. And then folding and putting "only takes 10 min. And I like to spend time with my children so maybe let's throw 20 min into this calculation. And bathtime "only takes 10 min" if we rush. And bedtime is "only 10 min". And then guess what?! It's 8 pm. I am exhausted. My children are in their beds so I can't do their linen. I could do mine and my dh but I don't want to!!

Yeah, you could tell me to do it on Sunday but Sunday is the same thing as above but with "10 min tasks" all day long plus grocery shopping, errands, play dates, plus everything else I cannot do during the week.

Change your linen as infrequently as you like ladies- No judgement from me! That's for sure.

nicole81

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 3:16 pm
amother Birch wrote:
20-40 a day! No thank you. I'll get some more germs from my kids rather than do more laundry. I already do a measly 6 loads a week.

Well some of them are from routine skincare at morning and night 🙂🙂

We all have our priorities. I would rather dry my hands on my shirt/skirt than touch a towel that's been hanging publicly. But then again, when I get the common cold, I'm out for 2-3 weeks with raging bronchitis. My immunity sucks, so I don't even touch common surfaces in my own home, like door and cabinet knobs, unless I've just disinfected them. Don't get me wrong, I will gladly pick my child's crusty disgusting nose clean, but then I will wash with soap, water, and dry with a clean cotton cloth😂

Fabulous

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 3:24 pm
We have a thread about this every year or so.

I change weekly or even 10 days or so when I have cleaning help and every two weeks when I don’t have or have minimal help

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 3:40 pm
For all you germaphobs out there, guess what. I grew up in a large family, with a messy home, linen got washed very infrequently, we had communal towels, which got washed regularly. Guess what, we didn't get sick more than any other kids!!!! Yes it's nice to have things washed regularly, but some germs your body can handle. That's why you have an immune system! It's actually good for children's immune system. See the link below.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....1171/

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 3:50 pm
nicole81 wrote:

Wow. That’s a lot of towels.

My machine takes about 2-3 hours to wash a load. If I wash in quick it doesn’t wash well.
And it’s tiny. I can only wash 1 bed at a time. It takes me 3 days to get through the laundry because of the size- family of 4.
I do the beds every other week and would love to do more if I had more free time with my machine!

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 3:55 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:

My machine takes about 2-3 hours to wash a load. If I wash in quick it doesn’t wash well.
And it’s tiny. I can only wash 1 bed at a time. It takes me 3 days to get through the laundry because of the size- family of 4.
I do the beds every other week and would love to do more if I had more free time with my machine!

These aren't "towels" - they are very thin small washcloths - at least the ones I got from amazon are.

Like the other imamother, I use them for people to dry their hands but also to dry my face as I don't want to possibly cause skin problems or eye problems for germy towels.

I understand logistically why you have limitations based on the size of your machine

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 3:56 pm
There. I added a poll.
Vote away everyone!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 3:57 pm
Hmmm... the last option was "Whenever I get to it..."
Don't know why that wasn't included!

ETA I didn't think I could add an option but I just did!

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 3:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
There. I added a poll.
Vote away everyone!!

Thanks

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 4:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
There. I added a poll.
Vote away everyone!!

I think you need other because nothing fits my situation as linens are changed by a combination of people. Also stripping beds is a different task than putting linens back on. 🤷‍♀️😂

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 4:02 pm
My linen gets changed after mikva night!
It's once a month!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 4:02 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
I think you need other because nothing fits my situation as linens are changed by a combination of people. Also stripping beds is a different task than putting linens back on. 🤷‍♀️😂

The first time I went back to add the last option it let me, but now I was going to add other but I can't!
I was trying to include as many options as possible, I know the last few didn't include who does it, but there's a limit!

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 4:07 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
My linen gets changed after mikva night!
It's once a month!!

I do before Mikvah and after my period…

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 4:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
The first time I went back to add the last option it let me, but now I was going to add other but I can't!
I was trying to include as many options as possible, I know the last few didn't include who does it, but there's a limit!

I realize that which is why I had the emoticon. But it does point out re are different variables

nicole81

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:24 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:

They're washcloths, little squares. Bh I had the opportunity to buy new machines this year that are huge, super efficient, and work quickly. I noticed the difference immediately from my old machines which were too of the line about ten years ago. The capacity was my #1 factor. We're a family of 8 and we can away with 6 loads per week and that's only bc I sort into that many loads. Iyh you should be able to get a giant machine one day, too.

And to whomever is calling me and others germaphobes, you can shove it lol. Until you live a life of low immunity and severe reactions to common bugs with no options with a full time job and no help, you really have no clue what you're talking about. It's both a physical and mental health necessity.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics