Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Do ladies have a minhag not to wear makeup on Yom Kippur?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:17 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I would think that putting on make up on yom kippur would be one of the 5 issurim, no? Anointing one's body.

Assuming everyone understands we’re talking putting it on b4 YK starts

Elfrida

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:19 pm
amother Opal wrote:
We don't wear makeup. We'll cover a zit or a dark circle, but nothing to enhance. It's about coming simple, like malachim. We also wear white. I was brought up with wearing white and no jewelry or makeup. It amazes me bow to see that the minhag of white seems almost gone.

Really? In my shul last year, I noticed that an unusually high proportion of women were wearing white.

I think people won't go out to buy a white dress just for Yom Kippur, but recently white has been very much in fashion, so a lot of women have white dresses or skirts. If they have them, Yom Kippur is the time to wear them.

ETA This is in Israel, where we are still wearing summer clothes. If you are wearing winter clothes, it makes sense that there would be less white.

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:23 pm
I’ve never heard of not wearing makeup on YK. I’ve only heard of not wearing gold jewelry because of Chet haegel.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:29 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I would think that putting on make up on yom kippur would be one of the 5 issurim, no? Anointing one's body.

You can't do it on YK. No issur of doing it before YK. You could go to a spa and get a full-body massage from head to toe with olive oil and heavy cream just before your seudah hafsekes if you had time for that and it would be fine. I myself would never go to bed with makeup on my face, so I don't wear makeup on Shabbos and YT except for translucent powder that matches my skin, and that's mainly to absorb excess oil. I wear a minimum during the week, so I have no fear of my weekday friends dying of shock should they happen to run into me on a Shabbos and YT. I feel sorry for women who are so insecure that they would "never let anyone see me without makeup on." Unless you're really damaged by something like vitiligo or major scarring, in which case I understand the need for camouflage, you've been sold a bill of goods by your mothers, sisters, kallah teachers and the entire beauty industry.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:31 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
Assuming everyone understands we’re talking putting it on b4 YK starts
If you saw later on in the thread I wrote that I would assume that women dont put any on BEFORE the fast starts because make up is just not in the spirit of the day, starting at night in jewish custom.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:32 pm
amother Peach wrote:
You can't do it on YK. No issur of doing it before YK. You could go to a spa and get a full-body massage from head to toe with olive oil and heavy cream just before your seudah hafsekes if you had time for that and it would be fine. I myself would never go to bed with makeup on my face, so I don't wear makeup on Shabbos and YT except for translucent powder that matches my skin, and that's mainly to absorb excess oil. I wear a minimum during the week, so I have no fear of my weekday friends dying of shock should they happen to run into me on a Shabbos and YT. I feel sorry for women who are so insecure that they would "never let anyone see me without makeup on." Unless you're really damaged by something like vitiligo or major scarring, in which case I understand the need for camouflage, you've been sold a bill of goods by your mothers, sisters, kallah teachers and the entire beauty industry.
For the umpteenth time, I replied lower and again and again for others who had not gotten further than my first reply, not in the spirit of the day to put on at all, even before FOR the day, which starts at night.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, I know about the jewelry
Do you wear your rings? Wedding/engagement…
Maybe I’ll take out my earrings…

But I was wondering about the makeup thing…

Only gold Jewelry is a problem.

Flip Flops

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:37 pm
I'm just going to leave a reminder for everyone that YK is a YOM TOV. It is not a sad day.
Please don't confuse Yom kippur with tisha b'av.

Carry on.

dena613

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:40 pm
I always learned not to wear gold on yom Kippur because of reminding of eigel hazahav

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:53 pm
Flip Flops wrote:
I'm just going to leave a reminder for everyone that YK is a YOM TOV. It is not a sad day.

Carry on.
100%. But the focus is davka NOT on the physical, ie the 5 things that are assur on the day. Hence people are talking about not doing xyz not to be sad but to not be thinking anout the physical.

Miranda Wright

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:08 pm
I don't have a minhag, but I feel odd getting glammed up for 25 hours of introspection and regret. I wear minimal makeup and no jewelry.

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:12 pm
Flip Flops wrote:

Carry on.

The same way we don't do laundry during the 9 days and don't do laundry during chol hamoed, for very different reasons, the same can be true here. On Tisha B'av we don't wear because of mourning. On Yom Kippur we (at least in my family) don't wear to simplify ourselves, emulate malachim, and focus on just the day.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:39 pm
It's not comfortable on a fast day.

Flip Flops

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:50 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
100%. But the focus is davka NOT on the physical, ie the 5 things that are assur on the day. Hence people are talking about not doing xyz not to be sad but to not be thinking anout the physical.

Yes, I agree. My point was not trying to negate this.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:55 pm
So it seems that it’s not brought down anywhere about the makeup it’s just something that some people do. I’m not talking about getting all glammed up, I’m talking about enhancing your face and to look b’kovod as it’s a yomtov and not aveilus.
For people who don’t put on jewelry, do you wear your wedding rings?

Rubies

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:04 pm
I think it depends on what you do on a daily basis. For some, makeup is equivalent to deodorant, for others it's glam, and I'm sure there are varying degrees of the two extremes.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:06 pm
I wear makeup lekovod Yom tov. The same way I wear nice clothing. It's already clear what's forbidden, no one asked anyone to add to the five prohibitions.

Won't wear ring because it's gold. Will warr jewelery that isn't gold.

miami85

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:54 pm
More I just feel like it's a day where people shouldn't be looking at what I look like and let me daven. I can hear treating it like a yom tov, but when lipstick tends to make my lips peel and I don't want the temptation to pick at them and I can't correct any eyeliner/mascara that falls so easily, I dont think it's a bad thing to appear more "pure" but I guess I'm still young enough that I can get away with that.

kiti

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:33 pm
I keep jewelry to a basic minimum. Personally, I'm not looking to dress-up on YK as per the usual yom tov/shabbos outfit.

I also don't wear makeup on shabbos or yom tov, simply because my skin will become irritated and break out if it's applied for 25 hours straight without washing it off properly.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
So it seems that it’s not brought down anywhere about the makeup it’s just something that some people do. I’m not talking about getting all glammed up, I’m talking about enhancing your face and to look b’kovod as it’s a yomtov and not aveilus.
For people who don’t put on jewelry, do you wear your wedding rings?

My normal human face is perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with wearing makeup, but there's also nothing wrong with never wearing any, yom tov or otherwise.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur