Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Anyone else nervous for the fast tomorrow?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 3:55 am
Im nervous every year. I get headaches that turn into migraines when I dont drink. And then im affected for days after the fast.
Thankfully I asked the rav of our community and was told I can do shiurim if I need to. So im a little bit less nervous.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 4:53 am
It's good to hear I'm not the only one....

The last time I fasted was Yom Kippur last year

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 5:19 am
I do shiurim (water) and it’s a good way to stay hydrated, actually. In theory you’re always supposed to drink like that, a little at a time.

fbc

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 5:41 am
Yep also super nervous here. I drink a lot in general, and I NEED it. I dehydrate pretty quickly. I even keep my water bottle next to my bed and I use it a few times a night (when my baby wakes up). I start feeling dizzy very early in oh I don't eat n drink. I'm having help but she's only coming at ,10:30, I hope that's not too late for me. I'm so nervous how I'll be before. My rov said I really really really shouldn't break the fast, but if I really have to, I should do shiurim. GD I hate Tisha b'av n yk. Sorry but I do.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 6:06 am
icedcoffee wrote:
I've always been a pretty good faster but I have my first baby, I'm nursing, and now I'm very nervous. Partly because breastfeeding makes me so hungry and thirsty, and partly because I have to actively take care of the baby and can't take long naps which I usually do to get me through the fast.

Me too! I'm 4 months post partum and nursing. Really nervous about my milk supply. I'm a poor drinker to begin with. I've been trying yo drink more.

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 7:59 am
amother OP wrote:
It's good to hear I'm not the only one....

The last time I fasted was Yom Kippur last year

Same!! I only ever fast on Yom Kippur, because I get so weak, and have a hard time functioning AFTER. This year, being so close to my due date but not close enough that going into labor would be ok, I’m really nervous. My big kids will be in shul, and I’ll have one or two of the younger ones at home, and my cleaning lady will be here if they need anything. Not sure if my older younger one will be in shul- he’s 10, but it’s a long walk.
On a totally separate note: are kids who are not fasting supposed to have kiddush and hamotzie? I don’t remember.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 8:07 am
Im not nursing and not pregnant and my baby is nearly 3 and I am very nervous.

I dont even know of what, Im feeling so down.

Cant get any food sorted, I just want to curl up in bed.

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 8:08 am
also in 2nd trimester and I just prepared my shirum I live less then 5 minute walk from shul so I hope I can go I think I won't go tonight will daven at home and have an early night... tHope I will at least be there for nilah

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 9:16 am
I woke up feeling sick and I'm having trouble swallowing. I'm going to head to urgent care shortly for a strep test. Depending on the results I will be calling my rav. I've been pregnant or nursing going into YK and always managed to fast, but I've never been sick so I'm not sure how to handle that.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 9:32 am
I am nursing a 4 week old and have a 3 year old. Nervous how I will manage. Last year I was fine. But that was because my son had a friend the whole entire time.
This year I am hopefully getting a babysitter/cleaning lady to come. Anyone know if I can ask her to clean up some things while she is here?
As well a friend of my son just invited him over in the afternoon
So hopefully all these planning will work out and I will be ok.
I think just nervous since it yom kippur and need to really entertain him....

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 9:51 am
amother Plum wrote:
I am nursing a 4 week old and have a 3 year old. Nervous how I will manage. Last year I was fine. But that was because my son had a friend the whole entire time.
This year I am hopefully getting a babysitter/cleaning lady to come. Anyone know if I can ask her to clean up some things while she is here?
As well a friend of my son just invited him over in the afternoon
So hopefully all these planning will work out and I will be ok.
I think just nervous since it yom kippur and need to really entertain him....

Clean up in what way? She can for sure straighten things up. Doing melacha/anything you are not allowed to do will depend on your rav.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 9:59 am
Fasts always stress me out. I'm thinking about last year when my baby was 4 days old and I had to fast. I had a concern of pre-eclampsia and was on the phone with the Dr until the last minute before Yt. BH all ended up being ok but I still feel nervous. But when I compare I am cool as a cucumber this year. 🥒 🥒 🥒

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 10:21 am
amother Narcissus wrote:
I woke up feeling sick and I'm having trouble swallowing. I'm going to head to urgent care shortly for a strep test. Depending on the results I will be calling my rav. I've been pregnant or nursing going into YK and always managed to fast, but I've never been sick so I'm not sure how to handle that.

Refua shlaimo!
Wishing you a swift recovery and an easy fast whichever way it goes.

kiti

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 10:28 am
Yes I'm nervous! Hashem will help us. There's nothing compared to the feeling of being closer to Gd on YK, it truly is a day filled with immense kedusha that is freely given out to klal yisroel. When I focus on that aspect, it really helps me during the day (when I'm not sleeping)

imacoolmom

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 4:00 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Fasts always stress me out. I'm thinking about last year when my baby was 4 days old and I had to fast. I had a concern of pre-eclampsia and was on the phone with the Dr until the last minute before Yt. BH all ended up being ok but I still feel nervous. But when I compare I am cool as a cucumber this year. 🥒 🥒 🥒

What kind of Rav has you fast at 4 days postpartum?! You’re considered a choleh, a kimpeturin, you’re weak and recovering from a pregnancy and birth! That’s beyond my sensibilities

mfb

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 4:06 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
had a baby a few weeks ago, have arthritis and am nervous about not being able to eat/drink/take pain meds. can't take the kollel pills because I'm not allowed to take advil.

For future reference they have a Tylenol version also, if that helps you.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 4:08 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Clean up in what way? She can for sure straighten things up. Doing melacha/anything you are not allowed to do will depend on your rav.

Ask your rov but I was told for regular yom tov I can technically wash the floor by spraying in it and then wiping it up so I can ask her to do it and she can do it which way she wants.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 4:13 pm
Very nervous. I’m so disconnected spiritually and I’m afraid I’ll break from the pressure.
And then I’ll be so disappointed in myself after.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 4:43 pm
imacoolmom wrote:
What kind of Rav has you fast at 4 days postpartum?! You’re considered a choleh, a kimpeturin, you’re weak and recovering from a pregnancy and birth! That’s beyond my sensibilities

There are halachos in the torah about who must fast when, it’s not usually a rabbi just arbitrarily deciding. I’m sure it was an in depth discussion.

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 5:35 pm
imacoolmom wrote:

You're considered a choleh to the degree of not fasting for 3 days postpartum. After that, it's a case by case situation
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur