Home

Paying cleaning lady while away?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:54 pm
I just hired a cleaning lady for the first time in many years. She comes once a week for 3 hours.

We're going away for Sukkos, do I have to pay her for the times she'll miss while we're away?

amother

Trillium

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:56 pm
No.

amother

Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:15 pm
I try to reschedule while I’m away, having extra time before or after.

amother

Navyblue

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:42 pm
If you can’t reschedule her for her to make up the time I say yes. Just like you want her committed to the job and not quitting or no showing, you have to commit to her. It’s a two way relationship.

ddmom

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:58 pm
I would ask her if she wants me to find her work for the time you'll be away(assuming you can find someone that wants her!)

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 12:27 am
If this is someone who you have hired to work specific times weekly, of course you pay them if you are on vacation. It is not their fault and presumably they have scheduled this time.

As posted, if you want them to treat the job as a commitment, then you need to reciprocate by treating them respectfully.

amother

OP

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 1:01 am
Amarante wrote:
If this is someone who you have hired to work specific times weekly, of course you pay them if you are on vacation. It is not their fault and presumably they have scheduled this time.

As posted, if you want them to treat the job as a commitment, then you need to reciprocate by treating them respectfully.

I've worked as a tutor at specific times weekly and was never paid when the families went on vacation.

I hear your point if it's their main job, but I wonder if it holds true for a couple hours a week.

amother

Papayawhip

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 1:19 am
Or if you feel comfortable to do this, get her to come when you are away. It feels so good to come home to a clean house!

amother

Brown

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 3:07 am
I have a full time housekeeper. We’re in Israel for succos and I am absolutely paying her while we’re away. She’s still coming most days either way. It’s her job, why should my vacation take away her parnasa?

simcha2

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 5:47 am
In general, if they are missing work because of their choice I don't pay. If they're missing for mine, I do.

amother

Jasmine

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 5:59 am
amother Brown wrote:
I have a full time housekeeper. We’re in Israel for succos and I am absolutely paying her while we’re away. She’s still coming most days either way. It’s her job, why should my vacation take away her parnasa?

I don't think the same rules necessarily apply to a full time housekeeper and a 3 hours/week position

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 6:02 am
Being that she is brand new and you want to start off on the right foot I would. In general, if your hiring someone that part time , I think it’s ok to cancel occasionally and not pay as long as you give notice.
As a service provider (swim instructor/ tutor) , I get cancellations all the time and never get paid unless it’s last minute. That’s part of doing this type of job where you’re not a salaried employee.

amother

Wallflower

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 8:33 am
Even if you don’t HAVE to, I would would. Or ask her if she wants you to find her other work for that time slot.
Even when my cleaning lady was coming less often than she comes now, I always paid her when we went away. Now she is almost full time, and it wouldn’t cross my mind not to pay her. I paid her during some of covid lockdown as well.

amother

Lightcyan

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 8:40 am
amother Brown wrote:

Very different -- in such a case yes we would pay

a new person for a few hours a week, probably not and some good ideas above so as to not disadvantage her

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 9:28 am
I don't think a full time housekeeper is different than a cleaning woman who you schedule to come in weekly.

She has set aside that time period to work for you and presumably relies on the income in the same way that you rely on her coming in that time period.

If my cleaning lady can't come on a particular day, she tells me and we arrange a new time or vice versa.

If you want loyalty from an employee then be a mensch - or don't be surprised that she doesn't show up because she has gotten a better offer.

amother

Topaz

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 9:34 am
I'm a private tutor and do not get paid when people go on vacation, even people I've worked for on regular schedules for years. We do not pay our cleaning lady when we are away but I do try and schedule extra. She occasionally needs to cancel on us and it goes both ways. On the other hand, we fully pay our nanny when we go away.

amother

Black

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 9:47 am
I pay my lady half her rate. She told me all her other clients have her come on YT (which we are not doing) and I want to keep her! So we came to this agreement.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette