Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
NY - Jewish areas with LIRR stop

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 4:18 am
So - we are talking about maybe/possibly moving a few years from now, but I need to stay near Queens (NYC) so that I can be on hand to help some elderly relatives who live there.

What I'd like to know is this - what Jewish neighborhoods have Long Island Railroad stops either in them or walking distance to them?

I know Cedarhurst does - the station is practically in Gourmet Glatt's parking lot! I believe Lawrence does as well, but I'm less sure about that.

Other than those two, can anyone suggest any others? Once I have a list to work from, I figure I can research the areas themselves, though if you can share some details about the areas you're suggesting, that would be great, too.

Not worrying about proximity to schools, as we wouldn't be doing this until we are done with the yeshiva system.

Bonus points if it's got Jewish shopping nearby, though if it just has a regular supermarket we could probably make it work (though it's certainly not ideal).

For those who are going to ask - yes, I know buses and cars exist to get from Long Island to Queens, but buses will probably take longer than trains, and I'd rather not have to depend on a car and consistently have to deal with traffic and parking issues.

SG18

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:06 am
Far Rockaway, Inwood, Lawrence, Cedarhurst, Woodmere, Hewlett
West Hempstead, as well

You can look up the LIRR route if you're interested in a different area and see

amother
Clover

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:32 am
This is not exactly what you're asking for but I'll include it in case it's helpful:

There is a LIRR stop at Atlantic terminal in Brooklyn, and trains that go directly there from all over boro park, Flatbush and crown heights (not sure about Williamsburg but possibly also). Not a far subway ride either, under 20 minutes I believe but check for each location.

Crown Heights has one within walking distance but a bit of a far walk from many parts of Crown Heights, but if you're willing to take a bus there are two not far away (if you make the connections right you can be in 5 towns in an hour or less). If you're not chabad you may not want to live in Crown Heights but it is an option.

nicole81

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:54 am
Merrick

oodlesofnoodles

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:21 am
Kew Gardens
Forest Hills

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:40 pm
oodlesofnoodles wrote:
Kew Gardens
Forest Hills

Right - so the family members are near one of those stops, which is why I'm looking at options near LIRR stops.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:42 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Merrick

I vaguely recall hearing about there being a Chabad out there, but I don't know anything else about that area. Can you tell me anything about it?

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:44 pm
oodlesofnoodles wrote:
Kew Gardens
Forest Hills

I live in that neck of the woods and the railroad is far from here.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 3:32 am
SG18 wrote:
Far Rockaway, Inwood, Lawrence, Cedarhurst, Woodmere, Hewlett
West Hempstead, as well

You can look up the LIRR route if you're interested in a different area and see

Which route? I see from your post that there are a number of Jewish areas along the Far Rockaway line, is that what you meant? Are there other LIRR routes that have Jewish areas along them, or other areas in general that you'd recommend?

SG18

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 4:50 am
You had mentioned Cedarhurst and Lawrence, so I specified the ones around there.
This has a list of all of the LIRR stations.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....tions

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 5:15 am
Long Beach
The rail station is walking distance from the Jewish area. Not a huge community, but down to earth and it's easy to get to the five towns for shopping. Good if you want an out of town feel, but not if you need a lot of action.

librarygirl

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 8:16 am
The far Rockaway line starts in Far Rockaway and goes through each of the five towns, valley stream etc. to Penn Station. Keep in mind that outside of rush hour it mostly runs once an hour, although with the new terminal opening at grand central that will hopefully increase.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating