Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
S/O Why the doona hate?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:46 am
Please help me understand:

1) why do so many people on Imamother express dislike towards doona? Why does every say that doona can’t be used after expiration date and shouldn’t be resold after it was used… but I never hear anyone saying that about regular car seats?

2) why do people keep calling it in style? It’s so ugly. I feel much more “stylish” walking around town with my Bugaboo than with doona when I need to take it out because I’m in and out of cars.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:48 am
amother OP wrote:

1) why do so many people on Imamother express dislike towards doona? Why does every say that doona can’t be used after expiration date and shouldn’t be resold after it was used… but I never hear anyone saying that about regular car seats?

2) why do people keep calling it in style? It’s so ugly. I feel much more “stylish” walking around town with my Bugaboo than with doona when I need to take it out because I’m in and out of cars.

Omg there’s no hate, there’s just people saying why they personally don’t like it!

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:48 am
amother OP wrote:

No clue.
I have it and don’t like it but it’s a car seat. Any car seat that I would be lugging around I would hate. I use the doona for the car and the bugaboo for the stroller.

The weird thing is when people who don’t drive have it as a stroller

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:51 am
I know lots of people who bought a doona but that blew their whole budget for baby gear, so use it as their exclusive stroller until baby outgrows it. Also keep the baby in it while at home.

That's not good for baby.

If you just use it as a carseat no issue.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:52 am
amother OP wrote:

It’s the same for regular car seats but I’ve never heard of anyone buying a used regular car seat and people buy used doonas all the time.

Personally I hate the doona because people put their baby in it when they’re not in the car and that’s extremely unhealthy for little babies.

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:52 am
It’s the same mentality of pple competing who can be the most frugal. And putting pple down who dress their kids in frum style

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:53 am
Many people who don't drive, use car services a lot. I'm in and out of car services 4 to 5 x a day

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:54 am
amother OP wrote:

1)People say the same things about car seats here plenty, because it’s true. Car seats should not be used beyond their expiration dates because they do not hold up. Like everything else, they deteriorate over time, even if you don’t see it or realize it. They also deteriorate when installed improperly, and should be replaced after the car they are in has been in even a minor accident.
2) The doona itself may not be stylish, but HAVING ONE is. The mom (or dad) who has a snap n go or a stroller woth a car seat adapter is probably not looked at the same way the mom (or dad) with a doona is. It’s about the status of HAVING/USING the doona, not about the actual style or practicality of it.

amother
Sand

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:55 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
No clue.
I have it and don’t like it but it’s a car seat. Any car seat that I would be lugging around I would hate. I use the doona for the car and the bugaboo for the stroller.

It’s super convenient for the people that don't drive being that they’re in and out of car services that don’t have car seats….

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:55 am
I post about not using car seats after expiration date all the time. Don’t do it, you are risking your kid’s life. It can fail in the event of a car accident. There is no hate, you either love it or hate it. I also don’t like that people use it as a stroller and keep their kids in it for long periods of time. It’s not good or safe for a baby to always be in it. It’s supposed to be used for short car rides. A baby must be taken out of any car seat every 2 hours to prevent blood clots, even on long car rides. I see many kids in it long after they outgrow it, and I see people bending over to reach the handles. And not to mention I barely ever see kids strapped in correctly and I see people put it in the car and drive off without fixing it. The chest clip must be at the armpits, it needs to be pulled tight, and no bulky coats underneath. And strapping incorrectly out of the car is a choking and strangulation risk too. If you use it safely and correctly then go ahead and enjoy it.

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:56 am
amother OP wrote:

1) as a test, put up a post asking if you can use your cybex sirona ($550) or Graco snuglock 36 ($50) car seat after expiration date, or a post selling your used car seat in good condition and see how many people tell you absolutely not.

2) in style = not ugly is not a thing.
Look at some of the most popular shabbos outfits this season, they are downright ugly imo. In style? Apparently, yes.

bsy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:02 am
People talk about not buying it used because many are specifically looking for used doonas to bring down the price. It's a very expensive car seat that people feel they "need" to have and are willing to forgo safety in favor of "convenience" to save hundreds of dollars. Personally, a doona might be more convenient for me. I wouldn't know because I don't have one. But I didn't buy one for my baby because of the price.
Eta many people also try to sell their used doonas to make back some of the cost, being that it is so expensive.

Last edited by bsy on Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:05 am
I’m very against the the way Doona is mostly used. I’m not talking about people who are using it for practical reasons, like taking cabs all day or traveling.

The Doona is a car seat. An INFANT car seat. Unfortunately, a lot of people do not treat it as such. They treat it as a stroller. So they keep their kids in it all day, which is very unhealthy for babies

I also personally know A LOT of people, and see this constantly with strangers, that keep their babies in a Doona well past the point they should be using an infant car seat. Babies who physically outgrow it and are way too big to fit properly. Usually it’s because they had spent so much money on it, the thought of then spending hundreds of dollars more on a new car seat and stroller is too much for them. Either way, it’s dangerous

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:06 am
I don't hate it, it has its purpose for those that find out convenient but I do hate the notion that everyone "needs" one and that it's expected to be gifted one (yes I've heard that) or there's an anxiety if there's stock issues.

I do hate seeing it used on Shabbos.

I do hate seeing a baby swaddled in it to sleep and only the chest clip used because the swaddle didn't work with the full buckle system (of which the bottom component is more necessary).

I do hate that it's bought second hand to afford it better for those who must have it and won't be gifted it without knowing history of use.

I do hate it being milked for as long as it can be pass expiration like I do with any car seat.

I do hate that there's so much pressure that people think of buying a knockoff from China.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:10 am
amother OP wrote:

Because they're ignorant. The bolded goes for every car seat. Dan lekaf zechus, they say it about the doona because that's what their familiar with, so that's what they know about.

Quote:

How is this doona hate?

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:17 am
amother Dahlia wrote:
How is this doona hate?

Anyone who cares about the doona expiration date cares about all car seat expiration dates. Not sure why she thinks it's only the doona

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:19 am
amother Freesia wrote:
Anyone who cares about the doona expiration date cares about all car seat expiration dates. Not sure why she thinks it's only the doona

I meant number 2, about people thinking the doona is trendy. How is it doona hate?

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:19 am
double

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:23 am
Check out this thread. The car seat fell down the steps (Bh mom and baby are ok!!) and she wants to know if it needs to be replaced. Read the responses.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....86141

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:23 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
No clue.

Actually, the opposite. I really, really want one because I often take taxis and I cannot lug a stroller and a carseat. If I had a car, I'd be fine with a snap n go. I think they are ugly, but they are so, so awesome for people without cars.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics