Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What do you wear? How are you clean?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:18 pm
So I get it robes are out. But now what?? My clothes are always getting dirty. I have small children who spill things, drip things, wipe dirty faces or dirty hands on me. I bought a few new dresses for Tishrei and wore them to the meals. I was so proud of myself for taking care of myself and dressing up. Except that every single one got stained on. This goes on during the week too. I feel bad to wear shmattas at home and only wear nice clothes when I go out, but I can't afford to ruin my clothes. Before I had kids I dressed in the morning in a nice outfit and wore it until I got ready for bed. Now I get dressed the last second before I have to leave so it doesnt get dirty and when I get home I have to change so it doesn't get ruined. Or I don't change and then it gets dirty and I have to change afterwards.

What is wrong with me? What am I missing? What is everyone wearing indoors on shabbos and how do people keep their good clothes in good condition?

Rubies

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:21 pm
Robes are out?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:23 pm
I dont wear robes, but who gets to tell you that robes are out? Wear what you want to in your own home.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:34 pm
There are tons of comfortable two pieces in tie dye styles that camouflage the mess quite nicely. I still wear a robe when I want to but if what other people do is important to you in your own home......

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:40 pm
Where are robes out? Not in my circles. Robes are very much still in. There are very pretty robes being sold now as well as nice 2 piece robes.

English3

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:43 pm
Robe tops have never gone out, or the robe stores would be closed. The lingerie sell very nice tops that are meant for casual home wear.

imaima

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I get it robes are out. But now what?? My clothes are always getting dirty. I have small children who spill things, drip things, wipe dirty faces or dirty hands on me. I bought a few new dresses for Tishrei and wore them to the meals. I was so proud of myself for taking care of myself and dressing up. Except that every single one got stained on. This goes on during the week too. I feel bad to wear shmattas at home and only wear nice clothes when I go out, but I can't afford to ruin my clothes. Before I had kids I dressed in the morning in a nice outfit and wore it until I got ready for bed. Now I get dressed the last second before I have to leave so it doesnt get dirty and when I get home I have to change so it doesn't get ruined. Or I don't change and then it gets dirty and I have to change afterwards.

What is wrong with me? What am I missing? What is everyone wearing indoors on shabbos and how do people keep their good clothes in good condition?

It’s little kids

Don’t buy expensive clothes while you are having them.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:48 pm
Long sleeve T-shirt dress from Amazon?

Add some chunky jewelry to dress it up (assuming nobody is going to pull it)
30 second google search https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1.....ss_tl

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:48 pm
I just buy cheap dresses from Shein so it doesn't bother me if they get ruined.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:49 pm
I wear robes on shabbos and definitely don't wear dresses at the meals except when I'm out.
During the week when I'm home I have 3 long stretch skirts and 3 comfy black tops that I wear at home and are easy to wash and hang dry. I don't let them become shmatas and I repurchase and throw out often.
I change before I go out but if I'm just running an errand I may stay in that with a jacket on top.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:31 pm
Robes are definitely out where I live. The bubbies wear them and that's all. The stores carry maybe one or two styles and that's it.
I actually wear robes because it's so practical but my girls have been making comments so I figured I'd do some research.
During the week I don't wear a robe, and I basically get ally clothes dirty.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Robes are definitely out where I live. The bubbies wear them and that's all. The stores carry maybe one or two styles and that's it.
I actually wear robes because it's so practical but my girls have been making comments so I figured I'd do some research.

What about a black velour maxi and top, washable, for shabbos?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

Let them make comments. Wear a robe for meals and then you can get dressed after. Or wear an apron on top of your clothing. The only place I heard of it being out is monsey area, curious if that’s where you live.

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:47 pm
What constitutes a “robe”? I have lots of maxi dresses that are quite trendy. Easy and comfortable to sit around the house with the kids and even take a walk outside. I totally feel dressed in them. Wouldn’t go to shul or out to a meal like that, but otherwise that’s what most people wear to relax in.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 2:49 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
What constitutes a “robe”? I have lots of maxi dresses that are quite trendy. Easy and comfortable to sit around the house with the kids and even take a walk outside. I totally feel dressed in them. Wouldn’t go to shul or out to a meal like that, but otherwise that’s what most people wear to relax in.

Can you post a link of what you have in mind? Also do you wear them with guests?

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 2:53 pm
At home on shabbos, I wear a black shell and black skirt with a simple shabbos top that I don't mind if it gets dirty from the kids.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 2:55 pm
https://thelingerieshopny.com/.....maxis

This is youre ready to spend. They last forever. I have from my single years, I would still wear if it would be nursing friendly. (7 years old at least)

I can't do that very often, so I try to get on sale or I get a easy top at zara, amazon and wear with a long skirt.

I get dressed if I am invited out for a meal.

ETA I am in Boro Park and chasidish.

My litvish friend thinks this is pjs and she and her kids are always dressed for meals. I don't know what she did when her kids were little.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:16 pm
OP, when you say robes are out do you mean shabbos robes or like a housecoat type of thing

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:18 pm
I generally wear easy tops or robe tops, with maxi pleated skirts.
And yes they get dirty, but they’re dark, and wash and wear.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 4:14 pm
This is confusing because many people use the term "robe" to mean any tricot knit casual outfit.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics