Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Possible to sleep train a 6 month old baby without crying?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:00 pm
Letting a 6 month old CIO and for sure younger, is abuse. How do you know your baby isn’t thirsty? After all that crying they for sure are. Maybe your baby has a dirty diaper? Teething? Your baby is in distress and you as their mom are ignoring them.
I don’t do CIO and my babies who are now big kids are great sleepers bh. There are better ways to get your baby to sleep, without abusing them.

chelsealew

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:32 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
There's a lot of misinformation on this thread

Here are some facts

BTW, that whole "if you can't do it, let your husband do it". There's a reason a mother can't listen to her child cry. We go into physiological distress. What does it do to our neural wiring to train ourselves not to respond to our children? Gabor mate speaks about this as a trauma to the mother.

It's so crazy, when I had my first and she'd sleep horribly but I refused to do CIO, this is why. The idea of letting her just cry hurt me so much. My husband never understood it until he needed to read Gabor Mate's book for college, and watch some of his lectures.

Regarding OPs question, I found that the baby whisperers second book has some good tips re the shush pat method which someone mentioned above.
My current baby is the same age as yours and is also not the best sleeper. Having a bedtime routine really helps, as well as giving her a pacifier as a newborn since she loves to suck. She also has a small fuzzy lovey (controversial) that she associates with going to sleep.
It's really important at this age to keep your eye on the baby's awake time so they don't get over tired. I think that's one of the biggest culprits for crying before going to sleep.
My baby still wakes up to nurse in the middle of the night. I keep the light off, don't interact, and don't change baby's diaper unless it's very full or a dirty diaper.
Hope some of this helps!

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:58 pm
When I say sleep train, I mean my babies getting a decent amount of sleep during the day and going back to sleep quickly after night feeds. No training through the night until 1 year.

My first learned really bad habits really early on when I had supply issues and didn't know she was hungry - I'm talking 2 weeks old. So she was miserable, we spent hours putting her to sleep, until we saw her weight issues and started supplementing/bottle-feeding. But the bad sleep habits stuck and I did do some sleep training with crying early on - and I'll admit it was pretty early, probably before 4 months and I can't say I don't regret it somewhat. But this child learned to SLEEP and although it wasn't in great amounts, she was relatively happy BH after a nap.

My second, OTOH, I fell for all this 'gentle, baby-led' stuff and let me tell you. He was one miserable kid for most of his first 8 months of life. From approx 6 weeks old, he was probably sleeping 40-90 min ALL DAY and nothing helped him sleep longer - not feeding to sleep, rocking him etc. I tried sleep training with some crying after 4 months, but all the 'it's abuse, attachment issues' comments had gotten to me and I couldn't do it consistently enough to make a difference. He's 18mo now and we still struggle with naptime - he's been down to one nap only since 8 months old - and he most definitely needs it still, as he is obviously tired.

My take - there are angel kids, there are kids who work well with gentle methods (as do their Mommies) and there are kids who need some tough love that will help them be happier, well-rounded babies. Exhausted babies cannot eat or develop well, and that is important too.

IYH with my third, I intend to do things differently to kids 1 and 2 - a happy medium that will IYH help us have a happy, well-rested baby. I am davening a lot!

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:31 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
When I say sleep train, I mean my babies getting a decent amount of sleep during the day and going back to sleep quickly after night feeds. No training through the night until 1 year.

My first learned really bad habits really early on when I had supply issues and didn't know she was hungry - I'm talking 2 weeks old. So she was miserable, we spent hours putting her to sleep, until we saw her weight issues and started supplementing/bottle-feeding. But the bad sleep habits stuck and I did do some sleep training with crying early on - and I'll admit it was pretty early, probably before 4 months and I can't say I don't regret it somewhat. But this child learned to SLEEP and although it wasn't in great amounts, she was relatively happy BH after a nap.

My second, OTOH, I fell for all this 'gentle, baby-led' stuff and let me tell you. He was one miserable kid for most of his first 8 months of life. From approx 6 weeks old, he was probably sleeping 40-90 min ALL DAY and nothing helped him sleep longer - not feeding to sleep, rocking him etc. I tried sleep training with some crying after 4 months, but all the 'it's abuse, attachment issues' comments had gotten to me and I couldn't do it consistently enough to make a difference. He's 18mo now and we still struggle with naptime - he's been down to one nap only since 8 months old - and he most definitely needs it still, as he is obviously tired.

My take - there are angel kids, there are kids who work well with gentle methods (as do their Mommies) and there are kids who need some tough love that will help them be happier, well-rounded babies. Exhausted babies cannot eat or develop well, and that is important too.

IYH with my third, I intend to do things differently to kids 1 and 2 - a happy medium that will IYH help us have a happy, well-rested baby. I am davening a lot!

I’m sorry for your tough experiences. For the future, at the newborn stage babies need to eat at all times. Whenever they want. That’s not the time to sleep train them. You can gradually as they get older,create healthy sleep habits such as keeping baby in a dark room from bedtime to the morning. ( Going to them when they cry and feeding them if hungry) Creating a bedtime routine. Demand feeding babies is the best way to feed them. Bshaah tova!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 7:13 am
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
Op, I'm the one that asked if baby is partying up thread.

Check out
Chaya shifra sadoff
Riki taubenfeld on Instagram
Sleepsense.net

These are all gentle ways of getting baby to sleep. Not cio.
Ferber is old fashioned and not recommended

thank you, I will check it out!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics