Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Somebody please explain Tivo to a technophobe

Clarissa

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 11:36 am
I'm giving my husband, the movie and tv lover, Tivo for Father's Day. We're not getting it yet because we're going to have to replace both of our tv sets (anybody have a few thousand I can borrow?) first.

How does it work? You buy a box and then a subscription? What do they cost? Does it need to be professionally installed? If we have Tivo will we spend even less time interacting in the evenings than we do now?

Maybe that last question wasn't a technical question.

costanza

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 12:03 pm
Where I live, you have to rent a box from the cable provider. If your tv is capable, I would get one that has high definition capabilities. The difference in picture quality is astounding. The monthly charge for the TIVO/high def. box is about $25/month.

TIVO allows you to record programs digitally - so you never have to worry about finding tapes again. Also, you can pause live programming (great for sports)and resume when you want to. If you use it to it's full potential, you will never have to watch commercials again (and you'll realize how short tv shows really are).

Once you get it, there's no going back.

Kumphort

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 12:53 pm
either you can get a Tivo brand box from Tivo directly, and you will pay a subscription fee, or you can get an add on from your cable company and get a DVR box.
essentially they are the same thing, maybe someone will know better.

my husband signed up for a life time membership at Tivo before we got married, so we didnt go through the cable co.

I know on Tivo you can specify specific things that you want to record and it will find things that match, ie: a favorite actor and will record shows with that actor.

when looking into different options find out bout high def or not,
how many shows you can record watch at the same time.

and definitely count on spending less time interacting not in front of the TV

cassandra

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 12:58 pm
I have mine through Verizon. I think box with DVR is an extra $10/month.

And I find I watch the same amount or less now that I have DVR, and at least I know I can always watch something that I like and not just random flipping.

Clarissa

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 1:00 pm
Next question. What is the difference between DVR and Tivo? Is there any advantage to getting Tivo or is it way easier to get DVR through Verizon?

I think one of the best things about getting this is that my husband will be able to pause a movie if he needs a drink or if the baby wakes up. I've told him it'll also give me the advantage (ha) of being able to interrupt at all times, to tell him a little story or talk about my feelings.

cassandra

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 1:06 pm
Tivo is the brand name, dvr is generic.

I have FIOS through Verizon which isn't available everywhere. You should probably just call your cable company and find out how much it would cost you to get a dvr box.

Clarissa

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 1:13 pm
That's what I'll do. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics