Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Trader Joes
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 9:40 am
For those who shop at trader joes, what kinds of things do you get there?

Are some things better price wise than in Jewish stores?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 9:51 am
amother OP wrote:
For those who shop at trader joes, what kinds of things do you get there?

Are some things better price wise than in Jewish stores?

I get most of my produce there, I find that the quality is better than my local Jewish store. I get eggs, drinks, snacks, spices….
Some things I find the price is better some things not, but for the things that aren’t I choose quality over cost.

yymom

Gummy Candy- scandinavian swimmers.
Peanut butter
Nuts
Bamba
Bread

amother
Freesia

Depends where you live. If you live OOT then yes prices can be cheaper. We don’t usually buy ‘basics’ there (we go to aldi for that ) but Rather specialty items. Right now we love the pumpkin espresso beans. My husband enjoys their teas. This time of year we always buy tiny pumpkins for the kids. I love their white cheddar popcorn regularly as well as the hazelnut bamba. My husband buys their ciabatta rolls every week and most Fridays nights we have their half baked rolls instead of challah.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 10:41 am
Nut butters,
Flowers
Spices
Fruit and veg are amazing quality

cuties' mom

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 11:10 am
I go there for eggs, but once I go, I get whatever groceries I need. Their veggie burgers are really good and much cheaper than Dr. Praegers. Whipped cream cheese is always a good price. They sell Ezekiel bread.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 11:25 am
My local one the produce is not really better than other places. But if I'm doing my main shopping there then I'll get produce too.

Prices - some things better, some things average, a few more. It also depends where you are - in my old neighborhood, the local groceries and supermarkets were overpriced. If you live near a Shop Rite, then Trader Joe's is not much of an improvement. My main reason for shopping there is I like their products.

Whole wheat bread is well priced for the quality, and they have ones without ingredients I try to avoid. Pita is good price and also good ingredients but it's not fluffy like Jewish pita is. Excellent for pizza, good enough for sandwiches, absolutely not for falafel.

Milk and yogurt if you eat OU-D (or was it Star K?) were better prices especially for organic.

Natural peanut butter.

They have great snacks and mostly great prices - kettle popcorn is addictive, kosher version of takis the kids are obsessed with, really good potato chips, don't remember what else. I like their salsa better than the other supermarket brands. Dark chocolate peanut butter cups - Reese's tastes like garbage after this.

Also for non-CY, they have a high protein pancake/waffle mix that I like because the kids feel like they're getting a treat but it's not empty carbs, and super easy to make (just add water)

Random things - frozen string beans, my family really likes their seltzer, plain nuts are well priced...their black and white cookies are the same source as the Jewish ones but half the price.

Do not buy their version of Oreos. Bleagh.

Oh and the FLOWERS - if you like flowers for shabbos/yom tov/occasions, they are MUCH better priced than other places around me and the quality and selection are not inferior either. I no longer live right near a Trader Joe's and every time DH brings flowers from a local place I want to scream when I see the price tag.

accountantmommy

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 11:31 am
Kosher pasta sauce that is way cheaper than jewish stores. Great snacks and nuts and dried fruit way cheaper than regular grocery stores

Roseflower

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 12:06 pm
Flowers!!
Their flowers are really well priced and they last for a week minimum!!

tryinghard

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 12:23 pm
We just discovered their instant cold brew coffee and it's the first time I've been happy to drink black coffee.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 12:56 pm
Chocolate chips and chocolate chunks (pareve!)

Babka (chocolate and cinnamon, I believe they are pas yisrael)

Israeli feta cheese (chalav yisrael)

Like others said:
- marinara sauce
- fresh flowers
- nut butters (sunflower, cashew, almond) and non-dairy milks (soy, almond, oat, etc)

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 3:50 pm
It's basically a snack store but I get great deals on bananas and Cheerios, which are staples for my toddlers.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 4:08 pm
Forgot to mention various varieties of parve ice cream are popular. I personally am not so into them but other people rave about them.

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 5:43 pm
Frozen rice that goes in microwave
Frozen fruit
Fresh produce
Marinara sauce
Spices
Cream cheese/butter
Almond milk
Nuts
Marula oil for face
Clear facial sunscreen
Body butter

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 6:13 pm
I go to trader Joe's for their spice blends. Nowhere else has amazing blends like them. The BBQ spice, green goddess, umami, onion salt, citrusy garlic, coffee bbq rub..... And so many more

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Oct 11 2022, 1:44 pm
I do a full grocery shopping at TJ one- two times a week and supplement from the kosher grocery for things like meat, cheese, etc.

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 1:03 am
My daughter loves their chili lime chips

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 1:17 am
cuties' mom wrote:
I go there for eggs, but once I go, I get whatever groceries I need. Their veggie burgers are really good and much cheaper than Dr. Praegers. Whipped cream cheese is always a good price. They sell Ezekiel bread.

How much are eggs

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 7:41 am
I think 2.59, possibly 2.29. The supermarket near me charged 5.79 pesach time. I'm scared to find out what their current price is, but it's worth walking an extra few blocks to TJs for eggs.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 9:11 am
I second chocolate chips and Umami spice. And flowers.
Once I was there...I found that their eggs and a lot of produce were close to the prices elsewhere and it was just convenient at the time.
Smoked fish. I haven't seen the CY feta lately though I forgot to look.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics