Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Fruit flies in freezer

LFunn

Post Tue, Oct 11 2022, 10:52 pm
I have an extra fridge/freezer in my garage. I just went to put some food in there for yt and saw a bunch of dead fruit flies inside. (Gross). Anyone ever had this issue? How can I get rid of them? And is the food that was in my freezer still good? (Everything is wrapped, nothing open)

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 11:53 am
Is the food still frozen? There are four possible ways the flies got in:a. they flew in, unnoticed, at some point while the door was open; b.they entered through a crack in the housing and made their way through another crack into the innards ; c.they were already in or on the food before it was frozen and you didn't notice ; d. a budding scientist in your household caught them and put them inside to see what would happen and, perhaps, determine if they could be revived. None of these scenarios affects the edibility of your food. A fifth but I think distant possibility is that the eggs were laid in some food item and hatched in the freezer. This would imply that the food was warm enough for long enough to allow the eggs to hatch, which would suggest that either the food was too warm when it was placed in the freezer or the appliance is doing less than a great job and all the food is suspect.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 12:16 pm
LFunn wrote:
I have an extra fridge/freezer in my garage. I just went to put some food in there for yt and saw a bunch of dead fruit flies inside. (Gross). Anyone ever had this issue? How can I get rid of them? And is the food that was in my freezer still good? (Everything is wrapped, nothing open)
Id get rid of the food. Are you sure they are fruit flies and not maggots? Either way, maybe your fridge was not cold enough or something else, but I would not eat the food in there.
Then again, how many dead flies are we talking? Like 5 or like 30?

Cheiny

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 12:20 pm
zaq wrote:
Is the food still frozen? There are four possible ways the flies got in:a. they flew in, unnoticed, at some point while the door was open; b.they entered through a crack in the housing and made their way through another crack into the innards ; c.they were already in or on the food before it was frozen and you didn't notice ; d. a budding scientist in your household caught them and put them inside to see what would happen and, perhaps, determine if they could be revived. None of these scenarios affects the edibility of your food. A fifth but I think distant possibility is that the eggs were laid in some food item and hatched in the freezer. This would imply that the food was warm enough for long enough to allow the eggs to hatch, which would suggest that either the food was too warm when it was placed in the freezer or the appliance is doing less than a great job and all the food is suspect.

Not necessarily. I had the same issue in my garage as well in my extra fridge/freezer but that was just the tip of the iceberg… I found the source of the problem was a can of food that had somehow gotten damaged and opened (not in the fridge) and the bugs were swarming on there and several also managed to get into the fridge. In my case, the fridge wasn’t the problem at all.

OP, try to locate the source of where the bugs are congregating and try to eliminate it. I also sprayed insect killer on the floors of my garage and BH the problem is over. Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry